The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 November 2016, 02:46 PM   #1
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Oyster Perpetual 39mm vs Explorer 214270

I own both. I bought the Explorer in May and have struggled to connect with it. I find it kind of heavy. And kind of blingy. A little brighter and shiner than I’d like. Don’t get me wrong, I know it’s a heckuva watch, a very fine piece.

I had been curious about the Oyster Perpetual 39mm, and just got one in Red Grape. It seems to have connected with me perhaps a little bit better.

It seems lighter. I wonder why. I know the movement is different and so is the bracelet. I think the case is the same size. I find it a little less blingy, the Red Grape is very subtle, not as bold as I thought it may be. I guess it is blander than the Explorer, and that seems to suit me just fine.

I think the bezel is different, seemingly somewhat rounder than the bezel on the 214270, which appears flatter to me.

One more thing. It may be psychological. I got a great deal on the Oyster Perpetual on eBay, a lot less than I paid for the Explorer at the AD. I think the great price makes the Red Grape a little sweeter!
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2016, 02:53 PM   #2
IT Nerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me flip
How about some side by side pics for illustration?
IT Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2016, 03:20 PM   #3
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I find the dials on the OPs nicer than on the EXPs. Lume is better on the EXPs however. I love the variety of the OPs. The grape is sweet for certain. Hands on the EXP are more legible in the dark.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2016, 03:24 PM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Seems like you're a candidate for the new Explorer? The filled lume will tone down the bling a little.

Otherwise, don't fight it. Flip for something else.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2016, 03:39 PM   #5
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Seems like you're a candidate for the new Explorer? The filled lume will tone down the bling a little.

Otherwise, don't fight it. Flip for something else.
you may be right! It's kind of upsetting that Rolex replaced the model shortly after I got it. I think I would have preferred the newer one w the painted 3, 6 and 9... it sure would be more in the tool style of watch. The 214270 is pure dress to me.

I know it sounds crazy and not gonna happen, but you'd think Rolex might offer an update, kind of like a recall. They obviously decided the model wasn't worth continuing. That said, it is still a heckuva watch, and every time I get tired of it, I wonder why, say "it must be me" and sometimes get hot on it again.

I am also a little mad at myself for going AD on it. I wanted to try the AD experience, enjoyed it, but it put me into the watch heavy.

I thought the AD and transferrable warranty might make it more valuable for resale, but I don't think most people really care about that, and prefer a good price. I'd lose real badly on this, and have considered it, but it just is more of a loss than I'd like to take at the moment.
Old 15 November 2016, 03:48 PM   #6
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

side by side

cell phone pic, not the most accurate representation of them, but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OP vs Explorer.jpg (89.3 KB, 716 views)
Old 15 November 2016, 03:48 PM   #7
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT Nerd View Post
How about some side by side pics for illustration?
put one up for ya!
Old 15 November 2016, 04:26 PM   #8
nobbylon
Banned

Watch: DSSD
nice OP but those small hands on that Explorer would drive me nuts!
nobbylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2016, 04:28 PM   #9
Allanmodel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still Looking....!
The Red Grape OP looks nice~~
Allanmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2016, 04:39 PM   #10
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbylon View Post
nice OP but those small hands on that Explorer would drive me nuts!
I don't think anyone would have even noticed the short hands. It's hardly much of an issue. I don't think anyone would notice it or be bothered by it if it didn't get into their head from a reviewer.
Old 15 November 2016, 04:40 PM   #11
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanmodel View Post
The Red Grape OP looks nice~~
it's a little lighter and I like that. My other Rolexs are more vintage and share that trait, lighter. I like that! Thanks!
Old 15 November 2016, 05:26 PM   #12
Pardue
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 14060m 2line
explore Mk1 Mk2 and OP

I love all three
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex.jpg (77.8 KB, 666 views)
Pardue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2016, 05:33 PM   #13
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardue View Post
I love all three
nice! I gather the OP colors are all kind of subtle. I know the Rhodium is pretty neutral but the red and blue scared me a little. Like my red, I find your blue not too loud... nice!
Old 15 November 2016, 06:02 PM   #14
Pardue
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 14060m 2line
Op blue

Its so subtle but of course blue is my favorite color
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg (139.7 KB, 650 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (88.7 KB, 638 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6196.jpg (59.9 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (4).jpg (71.7 KB, 637 views)
Pardue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2016, 07:52 PM   #15
Left_at_the_lights
"TRF" Member

I thought the OP and Explorer shared the same movement, or I am I mistaken?

That blue looks fantastic in those photos. I was fortunately able to try all three side by side when I bought mine. I went in intending to buy the blue but in the end was swayed towards the grey. Close thing though and the blue is gorgeous.

Here's mine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040932.jpg (90.0 KB, 620 views)
Left_at_the_lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2016, 09:57 PM   #16
AH0RSEY
"TRF" Member

Watch: OUT !!!!
Love the OP dials but lack of easylink means it's low down on my list......maybe swap my wife's Airking for one in future though "......... So in this debate I'd head towards the EXP
Old 15 November 2016, 11:45 PM   #17
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
I don't think anyone would have even noticed the short hands. It's hardly much of an issue. I don't think anyone would notice it or be bothered by it if it didn't get into their head from a reviewer.
You are 100% correct! Most of the people who make that comment have never owned that watch. I had it and it wasn't an issue at all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0730.jpg (86.0 KB, 558 views)
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 05:51 AM   #18
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left_at_the_lights View Post

That blue looks fantastic in those photos. I was fortunately able to try all three side by side when I bought mine. I went in intending to buy the blue but in the end was swayed towards the grey. Close thing though and the blue is gorgeous.

Here's mine...
yes, 3132 movement in both. I was mistaken. I was also undecided about the color. I was looking around on eBay and this one came in priced nice enough to help me make my decision. I'm happy with it but would love to see the blue in person. I saw the rhodium when I bought the explorer but my mind was set on the explorer going in. I had pretty much eliminated the OP line thinking it was maybe too jazzy and wild for an old guy like me. But I was wrong. They are quite classy!
Old 16 November 2016, 05:58 AM   #19
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH0RSEY View Post
Love the OP dials but lack of easylink means it's low down on my list......maybe swap my wife's Airking for one in future though "......... So in this debate I'd head towards the EXP
the e z link on the Explorer is pretty cool. I have a good fit with the OP 39. I think you could make it work. I think you can fine tune it a little on the bracelet.
Old 16 November 2016, 05:59 AM   #20
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
the e z link on the Explorer is pretty cool. I have a good fit with the OP 39. I think you could make it work. I think you can fine tune it a little on the bracelet.
at first I thought you said it was low down on your "wrist" lol
Old 16 November 2016, 06:01 AM   #21
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH0RSEY View Post
at first, I thought you said it was lowdown on your "wrist" lol
Old 17 November 2016, 07:20 AM   #22
nobbylon
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchgeek5000 View Post
You are 100% correct! Most of the people who make that comment have never owned that watch. I had it and it wasn't an issue at all!
I agree but the problem is that once it's pointed out you can't ignore it. The new version is what it should have looked like all along. The proof of that is that Rolex decided to make it. If the older version was ok then they wouldn't have changed it. I didn't buy an Explorer because of the solid 3,6,9 and not because of the hands. Thankfully they've sorted both out so I'm now saving to add one.
nobbylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2016, 08:15 AM   #23
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchgeek5000 View Post
To be fair, the short hands may be why some forum members don't own the watch.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2016, 08:58 AM   #24
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left_at_the_lights View Post

Here's mine...
the rhodium is gorgeous! it seems to be the "least discounted" one lol I think they're all nice. I inquired about it out here before and some guys have 2 or 3 of em!!!
Old 17 November 2016, 09:26 AM   #25
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbylon View Post
I agree but the problem is that once it's pointed out you can't ignore it. The new version is what it should have looked like all along. The proof of that is that Rolex decided to make it. If the older version was ok then they wouldn't have changed it. I didn't buy an Explorer because of the solid 3,6,9 and not because of the hands. Thankfully they've sorted both out so I'm now saving to add one.
I read what I feel was an astute comment from a reader, that the numerals on ours are 18k gold, more expensive than the new, lume surrounded by gold ones. let's face it, we want a 1016, maybe a little bigger or somewhat updated version. There's kind of no connection to the "tool" watch legacy of the original Explorer. But the hands are not much of an issue. And it's still a heckuva watch. I'm picky and finicky. I am very much into Rolex but many are critical of the direction they've taken. I am somewhat too. Rolex lost something with the newer cases. The classic size, proportions, and feel just aren’t the same. No more lug holes. Still great watches though. We all have our preferences.
Old 17 November 2016, 09:33 AM   #26
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
To be fair, the short hands may be why some forum members don't own the watch.
Some people love the 214270. I've seen a review where it's described as the "perfect watch". Every article that mentions the "short hands" (and it's really just the minute hand, and it's really not all that short)- glosses over it as not a big deal. They fetch plenty. The 214270 is a great watch. But it may not be for me. But my reason is not because of the hands, that is for sure. And I still haven't given up on it!