The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2024, 06:14 AM   #1
Ave7is
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on Tudor Style vs Black Bay 36/39/41

I recently purchased a Tudor Black Bay steel version in 39mm but for me it wears a little bulky. My sweet spot is usually 37.5-38mm but I also like thickness of around 10mm and lug to lug 44-45. The 36 black bay actually fit me better but the 36 dial seemed small.

Anyways, what is everyone's thoughts on Tudor Style? Just wanted honest opinion of those more experienced than myself, why is it not as good as Black bay line, bracelet, etc.

I'm considering these couple pieces because at least on paper at 38mm, 45 lug to lug and 10mm thick they seem to hit my sweet spot. I've never seen one in person so curious how they wear and if they feel slimmer. Theyre not sold in USA so I'd be ordering from overseas.

I also have a Tudor Royal 38 already. Are there any other Tudors in this same size/dimensions? I think the 1928 and Glamour are 39 with longer lugs perhaps.

I'm still new to collecting so don't judge me, I just know the size I like so far.
Ave7is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 06:17 AM   #2
tony_leotardo_jr
"TRF" Member

Personally not a big fan. The dimensions of the case/dial to the bracelet make it look like a fashion watch from Michael Kors

Go with the black bay 54, dial is small but it wears larger. You could also consider a vintage Tudor submariner in 36
tony_leotardo_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 06:48 AM   #3
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Thoughts on Tudor Style vs Black Bay 36/39/41

Check out the Tudor 1926 in 36mm. There is a good variety of variations in that size and the model line fits your criteria.

The Tudor style was phased out so you will have to find the specific one you want preowned which will be difficult.

Alternatively, you can look for a Tudor Prince which come in 34, 36, and 38mm (jumbo). Factory New ones are technically still on the catalogue in Hong Kong but they’re getting much harder to come by. Especially in steel.

That said, I prefer the Black Bay non divers (31/36/39/41). Robust classic sport watch design. I used to frequently recommend them and with great feedback from people who bought. Now that Tudor price range has climbed even higher, I have started recommending Tissot
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 06:49 AM   #4
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

not a fan, rather pay a bit more and get a vintage datejust
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 06:49 AM   #5
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Have you tried the Black Bay 58?

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 07:29 AM   #6
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
I’m not a huge fan of the Style. I’d go with a 1926.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 07:45 AM   #7
Ave7is
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
Have you tried the Black Bay 58?
I'm not a big fan of sports and dive watches just yet and that one wears bulky for me. My wrist is 7 inches but I like my watches to not be thick with Long lug to lug. So far I'm more into daily casual watches and dress watches.

To give you an idea of the ones I like so far:
Cartier Santos Dumont XL
Tudor Royal 38
Longines Flagship Heritage
Frederque Constant Classics Premier
Tudor Style possibly or some vintage 38 jumbo Omegas.

I'm still new (few months) to nice watches and so far I get them more as beautiful fashion jewelry in sizes I like, rather than for movements / collectibles.
Old 8 April 2024, 02:35 PM   #8
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Tudor really kneecaps their dressy watches now to keep them from looking like historic Tudor/Rolex, unfortunately.

This happens in a lot of ways; for example look at the way the two-tone Prince and Jubilee bracelets are always just slightly 'wrong' looking compared to how they used to be.

I think the all-steel Style would look right if you put a Cyclops on it. Likewise, the Royal really needs a Cyclops.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 09:17 PM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not a fan. So many other option that are astatically better looking and hold value better.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 04:51 AM   #10
Ave7is
"TRF" Member

I now see what everyone is saying.

Just to follow up, I did get my Tudor Style.. appears that the case wears larger than 38 because the bezel is very thin, maybe more like a 39 and also because the dial is kind of empty with a lot of negative space. I know this is a "dress" watch but it's funny compared to my Black Bay 39 and Tudor Royal 38 the dial at least appears larger and not to my liking. I do love the bracelet dimensions, lug to lug and case thickness, very sleek and compact but not sure I will like the dial.

Do you guys have other recommendations for a 38 Tudor that wont wear larger, kind of like how the Style or 1928 appear larger due to thin bezel