The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 11 July 2010, 05:30 AM   #1
JohnKrist

Watch: 16014
Water in my Oyster, Local RSC at fault

Hi, my first post at this forum and I wish it had been a happier one...

Left my 1986 Oyster Datejust to our local RSC (Sweden) for a price quote on a service with glass replacement (plastic). Got a price quote of $1000 including a new clasp and bracelet bits where it connects to the house. Thought it was a bit hefty so I want to check with the Beijing RSC as my father works in China, so I went to collect my watch earlier today. In the evening I had a bath with my daughter in her kiddy pool and when I got in I thought the watch looked dim. Now there is a moist cover on the inside of the glass, meaning that the RSC tech must have done something wrong when re-attaching the "bottom".

So, now I have to go back to the local RSC with it. What can I demand in your oppinion? What would they do if I came in with a watch that got wet if the fault was mine? Cleaning/Lube? I cant really wait until I can get it to Beijing, and I don't want to pay the full price since they actually have damaged my watch.

Only good thing about tonights events was that we originally planned to go to the beach, but filled up the kiddy pool instead. Salt water would have been a lot worse...

Thanks in advance for your input!
JohnKrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2010, 09:16 AM   #2
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
IMO your RSC should put things right. There's no way it could have been your fault water went in. Even if you left the crown unscrewed, there are still seals that would prevent water from entering the case.

Good luck!
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2010, 04:03 PM   #3
abigsecret
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back!
If a service was due, and they didn't replace any gaskets since you refused the service, it's not really their responsibility that the seals failed this time...
They cannot warranty watches they didn't repair, right?

He who knows no foreign language does not know his own.-Goethe
abigsecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2010, 04:06 PM   #4
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigsecret View Post
If a service was due, and they didn't replace any gaskets since you refused the service, it's not really their responsibility that the seals failed this time...
That's my thought as well Mireyna......!! A tough call...

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2010, 04:12 PM   #5
JohnKrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigsecret View Post
If they can't guarantee the integrity of the seal they should have told me so. Not just return the watch without any remark about keeping it out of water.
If you go to a garage to have a price quote on a steering joint repair and the wheel falls off due to not being properly bolted back on, would you still say "They shouldn´t pay damage" if you refused the price given?
Old 11 July 2010, 05:06 PM   #6
abigsecret
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKrist View Post
If they can't guarantee the integrity of the seal they should have told me so. Not just return the watch without any remark about keeping it out of water.
If you go to a garage to have a price quote on a steering joint repair and the wheel falls off due to not being properly bolted back on, would you still say "They shouldn´t pay damage" if you refused the price given?
I see your point, and understand your frustration, I'm just warning you of what might be said...
Good luck, and please keep us posted!

He who knows no foreign language does not know his own.-Goethe
abigsecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2010, 07:21 PM   #7
JohnKrist

An important update! It's not the gasket...
Since my watch was a bit dirty I decided to wipe it off, and to my huge surprise the "bottom" is loose. It hasn't been tightened, at all. I can unscrew it with my bare fingers. No wonder it leaks in water.

So my guess is that it was not cleared to release, and the guy that gave it to me didn't check/know...
Old 11 July 2010, 08:55 PM   #8
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
So the case back is loose?? That really is shocking! Be sure to report back their response!
slevin kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2010, 09:39 PM   #9
JohnKrist

Had I looked carefully I would have seen the gap between the case and the back piece...but I had no reason to do so, and since I put it on while in the shop I never took it off until I saw the moist.

2 pics
1st shows the moist...and why I decided to clean it
The hand belongs to my 18 month old son, he already have expensive taste!

2nd shows the gap, and yes, that's how it was...

Old 11 July 2010, 11:08 PM   #10
Balboa

If they left the case back loose, they are clearly responsible for the water intrusion.

Anyway, your watch needs to be serviced now to prevent internal corrosion and water damage. Maybe they will reduce the price since they screwed up like this.

BTW, the first estimate is really not far out of line if at all. Expensive, yes. If it included a new clasp, other bracelet parts and a crystal, those add to the cost of basic service.

A basic RSC service is around $600 now.

Good luck with your nice watch.

Mark
Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2010, 12:41 AM   #11
JohnKrist

The basic RSC service is quoted at $800. Those 800 includes the new chrystal.
Service + fixing the bracelet $1000
Service + new bracelet $1500

I might accept a shared basic service, as I would never demand a free full service. That's also why I asked in my first post what would be a reasonable demand.
Old 12 July 2010, 05:21 AM   #12
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Sounds like it is more than RSC USA that has issues. To bad. I requested a new gasket after I saw that they pinched mine but no way to know for sure they replaced. So I kept it dry until I had it serviced.
Personally, I believe they should cover the cleaning and any parts damaged because of the moisture. And you cover the other parts (like mainspring, tube/crown, crystal). Hopefully the dial and hands are okay. Let us know how they handle it. So you went to the RSC directly or did an AD look at it?
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2010, 06:33 AM   #13
JohnKrist

CaveDiver, Sweden is a small country so the AD is also a certified RSC. There are several AD's but this particular one has always been the general agent for Rolex in Sweden.

I will go there tomorrow as soon as they open and see what they say, but off course I agree that the parts that needed replacing in the first place have to be covered by me. And if they'd cover the cleaning, lube and what else might be water damaged I'm fine with that. Don't know what that would amount to as I believe labour cost is the main part of the cost cake.
Old 12 July 2010, 08:06 PM   #14
JohnKrist

Ok, back from the AD/RSC
And it's not a full RSC as the ones listed on the Rolex site, but they are a certified Rolex service center, just not an RSC as the term used on this site. Sorry for any confusion...

They admit their error, and the solution they offered was "We'll take out the movement and let it all dry for a couple of hours, then put it back in since your watch needs aservice anyway".
I let him know that to me that was not acceptable. "You made an error, and now my watch is full of water. A simple measure like that is not good enough."
I also told him that I am not seeking a free service, but that they need to take their responibility in this case. I also said that I'd gladly pay the parts. Their error limited my options, as I can't wait until my dad can take it to the Beijing RSC, or the time it takes to send it to Geneva which was my other option. A full service in Geneva would practically get me my watch back "as new".
So now we'll see...
Old 12 July 2010, 08:23 PM   #15
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

They KNOW you can't just dry a movement.
The water goes into parts en takes away grease from bearing points.

Dials are extremely sensitive to moisture, esp. on the long term.

Every service center accredited by RSA will perform a 100% job in servicing if not complain at RSA right away.

They should give you a rabbat on the service cost from about 25%.

Jack
Jackxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2010, 04:22 AM   #16
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
I would tell them you are going to contact Rolex directly and ask them their opinion of the AD's proposal.

I suspect the AD would not like to jepoardize whatever accreditation they have and will up their offer.
rmfnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 03:20 AM   #17
JohnKrist

Today they got back to me, after a nights thinking and a closer check up. Everything inside the watch is fine after being dried, and they said your watch still is in desperate need of a service. However, it's a bit embarrassing that we forgot to tighten the case back. So they gave me 3 offers, one for each level of service as I wrote above, and I chose the full service with brand new Jubilee bracelet at $1150, a $350 rebate to the original $1500 quote. I think that it is a fair deal, it was that or a $300 rebate on the $1000 quote. So all in all I get a watch in brand new condition for only $150 more than the needed repairs would amount to!

As a side note I contacted another AD, and also Rolex HQ Geneva for advice. Both answered taht if the water damage was my fault they should suggest a full service to the movement, and a simple movement dry out would be offered with no guarantee what so ever. If the fault was theirs, only the service should be offered as a general guide line. This is also in line with what the AD offered me, so I am 100% pleased with this.

Thank you all for your input and care in this matter.
Old 14 July 2010, 03:28 AM   #18
JohnKrist

Oh, and drying the movement off course does not apply if it's a salt water intrusion!

Will post pics when I get it back in 6+ weeks or so :)
Old 14 July 2010, 03:58 AM   #19
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

That is great news. ~350 US sounds like the service only part +/- $50, so that lines up with my thoughts as well.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2010, 05:52 AM   #20
JohnKrist

9 weeks and 1100USD later I got my watch back today!
Almost in mint condition :)

My camera is way too good, it shows the lint from the cloth I used to wipe off my fingerprints...
Well, I am happy to have it back, my wrist has been feeling naked for 2 months!

Regards, Johnny
Old 15 September 2010, 12:25 PM   #21
Tijssan
"TRF" Member

Watch: this...
Congrats mate - happy it worked out in the end!

Watch looks great!
Tijssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2010, 12:53 PM   #22
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Glad to hear everything worked out, Johnny. That is a nice watch!
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2010, 06:59 PM   #23
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Glad it all worked out and it looks great now.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2010, 05:05 AM   #24
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
Great job by the servicer. The watch looks great. Wear it well.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote