The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2017, 01:19 PM   #1
noxious
"TRF" Member

Best Man gift seeking advice

Hello all, first time poster here. I joined this forum as I am trying to familiraize myself with all of the rolex options and I am a bit overwhelmed. I am not a watch collector but my best man is and I have decided that I will be purchasing a rolex as a gift of my appreciation. His collection is full of Omega and other brands that I am not familiar with, along with one Rolex Daytona (no idea of reference number). My budget is in the 7500 range but for the right watch I might go a little higher. The watches I am considering at this point are all SS models and listed below. He mentioned once that he rarely wears his Rolex because its a Rolex. I want to get him a watch that he won't shy away from wearing as much as he would like, something that isn't too dressy that he can wear to work or out to dinner with his wife.

1. Datejust II blue dial with sticks
2. Milgauss either black or blue
3. Sub no date ceramic
4. Sub Hulk

I like the date feature on a watch so I lean toward the Datejust or Hulk (a little outside of my range). My fear with the Milgauss is he may not wear it much because he would be worried about keeping it nice. As for the Sub no date that would be the watch I would buy for myself.

A little about the best man, sporty guy late 30's and director of a very large company, very humble and extremely generous. Doesn't wear a suit unless its a funeral or wedding, likes muscle cars and fine european cars. Just a general guys guy.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oh one more thing. Im not apposed to grey market but watch has to be brand new so any advice on good people to work with is welcome.
noxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 01:51 PM   #2
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Welcome to the forum.
Based on your information, the no date Sub 114060 sounds like a great option. Perfect for an active guy who likes muscle cars.
Lots of good re-sellers here who can get brand new in box watches just like at the AD.
David SW is my go to guy for new watches.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
This is a little tricky not knowing the other models. However, here goes.... I'd start with scratching the Hulk (not versatile enough, unless he LOVES green). Any of the other 3 are great options. Sub is definitely the safest route without a doubt. He will love it and own it forever so tat would probably be my call. Personally, I like te DJII blue sticks and the blue Milgauss more. Ive owned both but I love blue dials. Any chance you and he could go to an AD and tell I'm you your fiancé wants to by you (the groom) a watch for a wedding present and he would open up about what he likes. Not sure if you wanna chance that though... Sub is safe but I love the blue Milgauss as I'm buying mine back soon.... Nice gift btw!!!!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 01:54 PM   #4
westsideclock
"TRF" Member

The no date and date just are good choices. You should be able to get the DJ2 smooth bezel for about $6500 easily. Maybe $8k for the fluted. However, am I missing something or did you say he doesn't wear his Rolex because it's a Rolex. The Daytona is a pretty tough watch, so you will need to persuade him that which ever watch you get for him needs to be worn. heck of a best man gift by the way
westsideclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 01:55 PM   #5
ernie2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K+BLNR
wait bro. You are getting married. Shouldn't it be the other way around with your best man ( together with the team of groomsmen) buying you ( the groom) a nice gift ?

I am sorry but I have never heard of buying a rolex for the best man. If you have extra cheese to spare at wedding time, shouldn't you be buying your fiancé some nice things ?

Apologies in advance for my nosyness
ernie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 01:56 PM   #6
Investr
Banned

As fas as sellers we have a bunch of good ones. Just look under who's who. Ive done some recent biz with Jared (Ponycar350) and he's top notch!! Big fan of Takuya, Peter Lee, and Sohais as well.
Old 21 February 2017, 01:58 PM   #7
Investr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie2 View Post
wait bro. You are getting married. Shouldn't it be the other way around with your best man ( together with the team of groomsmen) buying you ( the groom) a nice gift ?

I am sorry but I have never heard of buying a rolex for the best man. If you have extra cheese to spare at wedding time, shouldn't you be buying your fiancé some nice things ?

I was kinda thinking the same thing.... Mine got a monogrammed flask and we paid for his tux rental. I'm gonna friend you on FB.
Old 21 February 2017, 02:07 PM   #8
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Omega AquaTerra. Every bit as fine a timepiece as a Rolex, but not as readily identifiable. The retailers will deal off of sticker.
Old 21 February 2017, 02:21 PM   #9
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Damn. Are you looking for a co-best man by chance?

If you are set on this, my vote would be the sub. Based on him not wanting to wear a Rolex because it's a Rolex, I might consider something else.
Old 21 February 2017, 02:24 PM   #10
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie2 View Post

I am sorry but i have never heard of buying a rolex for the best man. If you have extra cheese to spare at wedding time, shouldn't you be buying your fiancé some nice things ?

x3
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 02:28 PM   #11
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Based on your description this screams 114060. Without the cyclops it will be under the radar to all but us watch afficinados.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 02:31 PM   #12
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Submariner by a mile for this one. A very generous gift that he's sure to love. Congrats on the wedding!
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 02:31 PM   #13
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
Based on your description this screams 114060. Without the cyclops it will be under the radar to all but us watch afficinados.
another great pick, my only watch

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 02:40 PM   #14
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
My vote is for the DJ blue stick with fluted bezel or a used 16570 white face explorer. Great gift.
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 02:45 PM   #15
helson
"TRF" Member

Does he wear his Daytona often? What color was it?
I am being cautious here because a humble man may not want to wear a Rolex Submariner or DJ, the most recognizable Rolex in the world, in public.
helson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 02:52 PM   #16
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Man that is super cool of yoy!! I see you're here in Colorado. Go see Christina at Williams Jewelers in Englewood on Broadway and Bellview. Tell her Robert sent you she will take great care of you.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 02:59 PM   #17
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I'd go Hulk cuz it rocks. He's young and will look great on him. You are one generous friend. Good for you.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 03:14 PM   #18
Louis (Toronto)
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster & SubC
[QUOTE=seand442;7379115]Damn. Are you looking for a co-best man by chance?

x2

Seriously though- that is extremely generous of you. I would pick the Submariner (not hulk).
Louis (Toronto) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 03:19 PM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I would reconsider gifting him a Rolex if he doesn't wear his Daytona much now as is. Would be easier if we knew exactly what he has now, but I can understand that's probably not happening

If it's going to be a Rolex I would go sub no date.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 03:25 PM   #20
socalsub
2024 Pledge Member

That's a really nice gift. Since you say he doesn't wear his Rolex much because it's a Rolex I would steer away from the Sub since it is such a popular Rolex. Would you consider the BLNR or GMT? I own a SubC but sometimes think I would like the GMT because it is less common.
socalsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 03:26 PM   #21
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Thats a great gift for a Best Man!

It's uncommon, yet very cool

I vote Sub No-Date btw.
Old 21 February 2017, 04:51 PM   #22
Zilla99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
114060 all the way. Classic and versatile.
Zilla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 04:55 PM   #23
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxious View Post
Hello all, first time poster here. I joined this forum as I am trying to familiraize myself with all of the rolex options and I am a bit overwhelmed. I am not a watch collector but my best man is and I have decided that I will be purchasing a rolex as a gift of my appreciation. His collection is full of Omega and other brands that I am not familiar with, along with one Rolex Daytona (no idea of reference number). My budget is in the 7500 range but for the right watch I might go a little higher. The watches I am considering at this point are all SS models and listed below. He mentioned once that he rarely wears his Rolex because its a Rolex. I want to get him a watch that he won't shy away from wearing as much as he would like, something that isn't too dressy that he can wear to work or out to dinner with his wife.

1. Datejust II blue dial with sticks
2. Milgauss either black or blue
3. Sub no date ceramic
4. Sub Hulk

I like the date feature on a watch so I lean toward the Datejust or Hulk (a little outside of my range). My fear with the Milgauss is he may not wear it much because he would be worried about keeping it nice. As for the Sub no date that would be the watch I would buy for myself.

A little about the best man, sporty guy late 30's and director of a very large company, very humble and extremely generous. Doesn't wear a suit unless its a funeral or wedding, likes muscle cars and fine european cars. Just a general guys guy.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oh one more thing. Im not apposed to grey market but watch has to be brand new so any advice on good people to work with is welcome.
easy -- tudor pelagos and not another rolex in that case.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 05:05 PM   #24
Mindelo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer Monza 36
Buy him a Rolex from his birth year!
Mindelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 05:12 PM   #25
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
That's a very expensive gift for your best man LOL!!
Next time you get married,make sure to let me be the best man.
As per which watch, I don't know since you mentioned that he never wears his Rolex. Did you ask him why? Because it's a Rolex doesn't make any sense to me.
But if it were me, I would go with the Milgauss Glace Verte since it is less common.
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 06:16 PM   #26
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex
If he doesn't like wearing his Rolex because it's a Rolex I would maybe consider looking at different brands. Or if your sure it's a Rolex maybe the sea dweller rugged muscle watch just like his cars.
MrGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 06:27 PM   #27
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
So very cool and generous of you. As you best man shies away from wearing his Rolex, may I suggest looking into Tudor instead?
Old 21 February 2017, 06:39 PM   #28
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
114060 or 116610LV is what i would choose out of the options offered.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 06:50 PM   #29
zoenoadad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C, JC DSSD
Sub is the most versatile. Maybe look at a BLNR? May be a bit more $$$ but a very cool watch to complement the Daytona.
zoenoadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 07:12 PM   #30
doramas
Banned

Explorer 214270
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote