The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 January 2019, 02:52 PM   #1
oliverrichardsaa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Why did you purchase your Rolex?

What was it? What contributed to the purchase of your first Rolex? Did you want to finally feel like you purchased a high quality time piece, or perhaps you did it to show off? I'd welcome a conversation as to why you made your purchase and what it meant to you?

Please feel free to share the model you purchased.
oliverrichardsaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 03:33 PM   #2
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
The truth is that I wanted one luxury watch in my collection of affordable watches.

I didn't know at the time that Rolex watches are even more addictive than affordable watches.

My first was 114270. I fell madly in love with it as soon as I put it on and had to have it without looking at any other watches in the shop.

With the feeding frenzy going on now, I'm drifting back toward more affordable watches, but now with a keener eye for quality.

Not every watch in a collection needs to be of heirloom quality to be well-made, attractive, durable, and precise.

It's actually a great time to be into watches.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 03:37 PM   #3
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I wanted to own a Rolex. I felt it was an accomplishment.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 03:43 PM   #4
Cubdrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I was always running late and needed a way to tell the time.

Honestly, was leaving for Afghanistan and wanted something to come back to.
Cubdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
All the males in my family going back about 80yrs were watch enthusiasts.

The Rolexeses were my favorite ones. Also Citizens from the 70’s.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 03:50 PM   #6
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

In my mind it is the best (yes I know there are other (more expensive/more complicated.....brands).

My childhood heros wore them.

It is all I wear now. I could attain some of this other brands but just love the whole Rolex package.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:03 PM   #7
Ar_Mi
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few
Growing up I would always see my dad wearing his watch, and even though it wasn't a Rolex it cemented the idea owing a watch in my mind. I wanted to be like my dad. I had the odd swatch and nike watches as a kid. As I got older&older
I become more and more interested in owning one super well made Swiss watch for the rest of my life ( or so I thought).
After doing some research It was more than clear to me that Rolex was the way to go. A robust & beautiful workhorse.
I then purchased my first Rolex, which I still have and wear from time to time. That was it, I was fully bitten by the watch bug. I became obsessed with the idea of keeping time. I now sleep breath and eat watches, and I have Rolex to thank for that
Ar_Mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:05 PM   #8
Tape
Banned

money laundering
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:06 PM   #9
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
A family affair , my dad owns few luxury watches, I use to wear them “only at home” when I was little. Now I bought my own with my own money and I could take them out :-)
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:08 PM   #10
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Because I had wanted a Submariner since I was a boy and it marked the birth of my son. I plan to wear it until I pass it on to him.
Old 4 January 2019, 04:08 PM   #11
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Call me crazy. But I bought it to tell time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 January 2019, 04:14 PM   #12
JVGwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverrichardsaa View Post
What was it? What contributed to the purchase of your first Rolex? Did you want to finally feel like you purchased a high quality time piece, or perhaps you did it to show off? I'd welcome a conversation as to why you made your purchase and what it meant to you?

Please feel free to share the model you purchased.

I spent my childhood obsessed w/ my dad’s Day-Date. He used to say that the watch was powered by the movement of his body. When my dad passed, the watch was passed down to my older brother. I got my dad’s Tag, but I knew my first big watch had to be a Rolex.

JVGwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:16 PM   #13
WristCheckDaily
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lvc, blnr, 126333
Finally reached a point of my life where I wanted to buy something nice for myself. The more I though of the idea of a Rolex the more I wanted one. Fell in love with the hulk submariner at first sight and learned that it was nearly impossible to get. Finally pull the trigger when my buddy was on his honey moon and contacted me about an AD that has a hulk. The catch is I had to buy a DJ also...my first Rolex purchase was a combo deal lol

WristCheckDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:32 PM   #14
BT1985
"TRF" Member

My first Rolex was a preowned submariner I received as a gradation gift. My parents pooled their money with my grandparents to buy it for me because they knew it was something I always admired. After the first year I forgot that it was on my wrist as it had just become a part of me. I finally took it in to get serviced ten years later based on a recommendation from a friend. When I didn’t have it on my wrist I realized how much I appreciated it. The fact that I didn’t think about it for ten years was a testament to its quality and reliability which kickstarted my drive to research and collect.

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:35 PM   #15
s_haverford
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO,OP-36 White
After having saved up some money, I started looking around and saw there were many options for my budget (sub 6K). After months of thinking and looking I was able to try on a OP 36mm with the white face and I just knew.

My watch was to celebrate a new career in my life and with that as the driving factor and being able to find one while on vacation, I pulled the trigger.

Now I am obsessed and am already looking for that next piece. But in due time.
s_haverford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:37 PM   #16
importstunna
"TRF" Member

I was really into divers and bought a Logines Hydroconquest soon after college. It looked like the Rolex Sub which I always dreamed of owning, but couldn't afford at the time. Then an opportunity came up for the Sub which I couldn't pass up. It was all downhill from there into the Rolex geekdom.
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:37 PM   #17
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
My first Rolex was a preowned submariner I received as a gradation gift. My parents pooled their money with my grandparents to buy it for me because they knew it was something I always admired. After the first year I forgot that it was on my wrist as it had just become a part of me. I finally took it in to get serviced ten years later based on a recommendation from a friend. When I didn’t have it on my wrist I realized how much I appreciated it. The fact that I didn’t think about it for ten years was a testament to its quality and reliability which kickstarted my drive to research and collect.

Heartfelt story.
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:37 PM   #18
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I had two watches, Omega and IWC. I used to travel for work a lot and was always uneasy with the IWC as it just seemed too fragile, I lost a couple of pushers for the chronograph. So after much reading and research I decided adding a GMT was the right move. the Omega was/is fine for traveling, but once I started getting into Rolex I knew I needed to add one. Well, one at a time...
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 05:15 PM   #19
oroloi
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116621
For about 40 years Ive always liked the brand for its robust case and movements but chose other brands instead.
Personal choice but also didn't really like the look of them except for the Sub, early last year I decided to buy myself a Sub and was shocked to find it looked very different. I couldn't work out what It was and then it hit me........the fat lugs. So after decades of wanting one I decided its not for me. Shortage didn't matter as I wouldn't have bought one even at a discount.
I decided to buy myself a YM as it was at the top of my list and since they kept the lugs slim it sang to me so I bought it, don't care if its not popular to others I buy watches for myself................absolutely no regrets :)
oroloi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 05:36 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

being honest, death

always bothered me i have nothing tangible from my grandfather, and my father who is still alive but doesn't wear watches or anything i would qualify as a personal item that i would be able to have.

Before my first son was born i bought a Rolex.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 05:46 PM   #21
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Bought my first one while an officer in the Navy with my first nuke bonus. I wish it had been a submariner, but I didn't know anything back then, so I bought a SS DJ white roman dial, which I loved. Years later, used it along with $10k to purchase a 1981 Porsche 911SC Targa. Wish I still had that car.

Years later, I knew I really wanted a Submariner, and since my favorite color is green, I got the LV Kermit, which I loved. Wish I still had that one too. This is why I tell people not to "trade up", but instead to just wait until you can afford the next watch.

Why Rolex and why did I get this brand vs. another? Likely because of knowing officers who owned them and wishing I had one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LV sitting in Beijing hotel - reflection.JPG (167.8 KB, 892 views)
File Type: jpg LV on Beijing linens.jpg (89.8 KB, 889 views)
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 06:14 PM   #22
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post

Great story. This is lost today. Even if someone wanted to genuinely buy a watch for someone, a wife for example who's heard her husband mention a certain Rolex...that person would find it very difficult to walk into any of the popular ADs(Rolex, PP, AP) and simply buy a special gift.

Hopefully they like Omega, IWC or Breitling.

I chose and bought Rolex for their durability and tool watch heritage. As I researched the brand I became enamored with the history of the company. Even though all Rolex are by and large shiny blingy things, they are still the most durable and functional watch on the market to me.

Something as simple as the emphasis Rolex placed on the movement. Time keeping reliability, it hacks and no worry of date manipulation at certain times. Three simple things...but things even high end brands don't match with their highly decorated movements even by today's standards. Some are finally fixing the date manipulating issue just now....this seems like a non issue, but try to explain this to someone who's never owned a mechanical watch, it's very nerve racking.
Love Rolex first, but also love Omega and AP.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 06:23 PM   #23
mattskybeat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
I was making the jump from omega after years of reading about and drooling over Rolex watches in various ADs. I started earning some real money and I bought a Daytona 116520. After feeling the quality of the watch I have never looked back.
mattskybeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 06:23 PM   #24
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Because I am at the correct point of the so called Rolex appreciation curve, meaning that I appreciate Rolex and the quality the stand for.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 06:26 PM   #25
Joergen
"TRF" Member

When starting collecting watches, many people see Rolex as the "must-have" watch, maybe even a grail. And when the time comes, you have Rolex on top of your mind. It's simply a watch that you must own. This was my thought process in the beginning at least.
Joergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 06:34 PM   #26
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Great thread!

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 06:34 PM   #27
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
My Omega was looking a bit tatty.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 06:58 PM   #28
kegan
"TRF" Member

Same reason I did most every other stupid thing in my life, my brother got me into it
kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 07:24 PM   #29
Jeee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 326139 skyd
Show off to everyone
Jeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 07:30 PM   #30
Panych
"TRF" Member

Because I could not sleep after I saw my sub in jewelry shop...

The desire to have a rolex appeared when I realized that a recently bought Tag was not really that one what I expected before the purchase from this watch. I understood that I was fooled - caliber 5 carerra is not really luxury one and used movement is not inhouse. Then I started learning watches, brands, etc. This exercise led me to Rolex. Next I have already said above...:)
Panych is offline   Reply With Quote