The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 January 2023, 06:12 AM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
New Antique clock! And an update.

Several weeks ago, I posted about the “Waldorf” clocks in my collection, and described the mystery of where these clocks come from.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=886220

I mentioned one, that was on line for sale and had been for over one year, but was WAY over priced. I wrote the owner a couple times, offering a reasonable sum and saying when he was tired of getting no bids, let me know. Unexpectedly, he responded the last time and we started negotiating. I still over-paid, but am very very happy I got this one as it was long sought-after

The serial number dates it to 1933, and he stated it “ran, and kept good time.” I have heard that many times but expected the worse, for probably the first time in my collecting career I was pleasantly surprised. It was in very good shape. I disassembled it and found all components showing very little wear, all it needed was a clean and soak of parts in a solvent, then re-oiling when putting it back together. There were no replacement parts necessary! This is probably the easiest restore I have ever done. The cord was replaced probably in the 50s, but I am out of cloth (1930s era cords) right now so will use this one for now. Over all, I am very happy with this addition

One last point, these things are MONSTERS! The two on the left, weigh 14 pounds, the one with the bulb in the dial, weighs 12, even the “small” one is almost 10. With these included, I am going to make room, probably have another free-antique clock giveaway on here soon.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 06:17 AM   #2
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Very cool collection. Thanks for sharing.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 06:37 AM   #3
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
How do you find working on them? I’d love to take a watch apart and fiddle about with it but I know what will inevitably happen - might try it on an old cheap watch off eBay to understand them better but that’s about it. Certainly not trying it on a Rolex!

Are clocks easier given parts are much larger which I presume makes it less fiddly? I have an old house so plenty room for a few antique clocks and imagine it’s a very satisfying and relaxing thing to learn about them and work on them carefully to get them running spot on again.
Mr Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 06:48 AM   #4
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ben View Post
How do you find working on them? I’d love to take a watch apart and fiddle about with it but I know what will inevitably happen - might try it on an old cheap watch off eBay to understand them better but that’s about it. Certainly not trying it on a Rolex!

Are clocks easier given parts are much larger which I presume makes it less fiddly? I have an old house so plenty room for a few antique clocks and imagine it’s a very satisfying and relaxing thing to learn about them and work on them carefully to get them running spot on again.
Great question Ben, and the short answer is yes, I tried working on watches, and like you started with some cheap ones; may they rest in peace. I focused in on Telechron electric clocks several years ago but they are actually very simple instruments.

I encourage you to give it a try, watches or clocks, good luck!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 07:07 AM   #5
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Awesome Paul!! Glad you were able to finally add that clock to your collection.

I too have thought about playing with a watch or two to figure out how it works but I’m more a sledgehammer than a scalpel and know it will end catastrophically.

I actually have a pretty cool looking watch and a couple others coming in from Ukraine within the next couple days. Can’t wait to see them and maybe try my hand at getting at least the one I’m interested in to run.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 07:14 AM   #6
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Beautiful. Thank you for the clock. I’ll proudly place it beside my late dog’s urn.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 09:21 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Sooo coooooool!!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 10:33 AM   #8
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Nice collection Paul and thanks for sharing once again.

I think that I'm going to try my hand at it and disassembling a few old clocks someone once gave me.

Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 01:25 PM   #9
Nice marmot
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I’ve been enjoying your clock posts. Very interesting stuff.
Nice marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 02:32 PM   #10
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Wow Paul super cool!! Thanks for sharing I’m glad you were able to talk him down to a stomach-able amount so you could expand your very cool collection!!
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 12:35 AM   #11
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
I've been enjoying your clock posts. Is this clock powered by electricity? I may get a clock to experience it. I think I would enjoy mechanical clocks best. I nice old mechanical clock with beautiful hardwood and a nice dial. That does sound nice.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 12:44 AM   #12
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Love the photos of restoration. I look at my Techron you gave me every single day. It keeps great time too. I haven’t adjusted it since I received it.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 01:32 AM   #13
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Congrats Paul! What a great looking clock & nice history behind it.
You must be watching some of Jocke’s videos on cleaning parts & posting pics of the process.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote