The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 December 2005, 12:41 AM   #1
Atomic

A Christmassy weekend

We have a nice white blanket of snow on the ground up here in the world's second coldest capital. So with Christmas coming in two weeks, and determined to make memorable traditions for my daughter, on Saturday we drove out in the country to a tree farm. Being newbies at this, once there we realized it was cash only, and being techies, my wife and I live on our debit card (e-cash) so we had to pack the car back up and drive to the closest town to find a bank machine.

Once that was sorted, we returned to the farm, had some hot chocolate by a big open fire. They also had a playground, so C was having a ball going down the slide and playing on the swings (it was only about -2C and sunny, so it was a perfect winter day).

Then we trudged off into the 'wilderness' to find our tree. Since we did that scarey hallowe'en farm thing (my wife's brilliant idea) C is now scared of tractors and hayrides, thanks to the witches and ghosts that jumped out at us back then. So we went on foot.

Once in the tree patch, we found a good seven footer (scotch pine) and armed with my trusty tree saw, I brought her down. C meanwhile decided she wanted to go home, NOW, because the sound of the tractor was scaring her, poor thing. So while Mrs. Atomic carried C back to the car, I got to lug the tree back about 1.5km to the car. They shook it, wrapped it and then I tied it to the roof for the 40km drive home.

All in all, it was an enjoyable day, but next year C will be more 'understanding' of what we're doing and get more out of it. So the tree is up in the living room, decorated and I also strung up some LED lights along the eaves of the house. Just a bit more shopping and we're ready for the big event.
Old 13 December 2005, 12:54 AM   #2
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
We have a nice white blanket of snow on the ground up here in the world's second coldest capital. So with Christmas coming in two weeks, and determined to make memorable traditions for my daughter, on Saturday we drove out in the country to a tree farm. Being newbies at this, once there we realized it was cash only, and being techies, my wife and I live on our debit card (e-cash) so we had to pack the car back up and drive to the closest town to find a bank machine.

Once that was sorted, we returned to the farm, had some hot chocolate by a big open fire. They also had a playground, so C was having a ball going down the slide and playing on the swings (it was only about -2C and sunny, so it was a perfect winter day).

Then we trudged off into the 'wilderness' to find our tree. Since we did that scarey hallowe'en farm thing (my wife's brilliant idea) C is now scared of tractors and hayrides, thanks to the witches and ghosts that jumped out at us back then. So we went on foot.

Once in the tree patch, we found a good seven footer (scotch pine) and armed with my trusty tree saw, I brought her down. C meanwhile decided she wanted to go home, NOW, because the sound of the tractor was scaring her, poor thing. So while Mrs. Atomic carried C back to the car, I got to lug the tree back about 1.5km to the car. They shook it, wrapped it and then I tied it to the roof for the 40km drive home.

All in all, it was an enjoyable day, but next year C will be more 'understanding' of what we're doing and get more out of it. So the tree is up in the living room, decorated and I also strung up some LED lights along the eaves of the house. Just a bit more shopping and we're ready for the big event.
Sounds like a good time I went and cut a tree down once. Read once. Ever since then it's been artifical trees. The one we bought last year is even pre lit.
Old 13 December 2005, 12:57 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Nothing like a nice fresh real Christmas tree,not a great lover of the artificial kind.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2005, 01:06 AM   #4
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Nothing like a nice fresh real Christmas tree,not a great lover of the artificial kind.
I agree but there's an aerosol spray that you can use to make it smell real.
Old 13 December 2005, 01:08 AM   #5
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
I agree but there's an aerosol spray that you can use to make it smell real.
And it's good for the environment, too.
Old 13 December 2005, 01:09 AM   #6
mailman

Quote:
And it's good for the environment, too.
Sure it is. You just spray it inside your house.
Old 13 December 2005, 01:11 AM   #7
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Nice w/e John! We're skipping the big tree thing this year. Next year we'll be around a LOT of family and it'll be like a real Christmas. God I hope I survive
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2005, 01:17 AM   #8
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS
Nice w/e John! We're skipping the big tree thing this year. Next year we'll be around a LOT of family and it'll be like a real Christmas. God I hope I survive
Thanks Bruce. I'm sure you'll have a great one next year, when you're all settled and sorted. Then you can do it up big time for Joshy!
Old 13 December 2005, 01:31 AM   #9
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Sounds great John, I know C appreciates this now and will really do so in the future. I have a funny mental picture of Paul Bunyoun dragging that tree through the forest.

I am doin a bit of shopping today, then it is hurruy up and wait till the big day.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2005, 01:34 AM   #10
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
I have a funny mental picture of Paul Bunyoun dragging that tree through the forest.
I guess so, eh?

Funny, I got bundled up in my ski jacket... but when it came down to cutting the tree down and dragging it out of the field, I tied the jacket to the tree and was in a t-shirt and a sweatshirt (with the sleeves pushed up).

Funny how physical labour can make you warm on a cold day.
Old 13 December 2005, 01:34 AM   #11
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
:
Funny how physical labour can make you warm on a cold day.
I try not to find out, it makes me break out into a rash.

Old 13 December 2005, 01:38 AM   #12
Atomic

Quote:
I try not to find out, it makes me break out into a rash.
That's true... it's not as if golf is a sport.
Old 13 December 2005, 01:39 AM   #13
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
That's true... it's not as if golf is a sport.
There are athletes that play golf, but dear lord no it is not a sport.

Old 13 December 2005, 01:40 AM   #14
Atomic

Quote:
There are athletes that play golf, but dear lord no it is not a sport.
Who was it who said , "Golf is a great walk spoiled." Churchill?
Old 13 December 2005, 01:47 AM   #15
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Who was it who said , "Golf is a great walk spoiled." Churchill?
Walk my arse, that never happens with me mate.

Old 13 December 2005, 01:49 AM   #16
Atomic

Quote:
Walk my arse, that never happens with me mate.
I think that quote was made before the invention of the golf cart, tosser.
Old 13 December 2005, 01:50 AM   #17
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
I think that quote was made before the invention of the golf cart, tosser.
But I wasn't!!! `

Old 13 December 2005, 03:03 AM   #18
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
.............................and now back to the topic.

You painted a nice picture of how Christmas should be John, I haven't seen a white one for years. In fact in 32 years in Saudi I have been home at Christmas about 5 times. Our first here was good because we made all our own decorations and I cut down a small bush that resembled a fir tree and painted it white in places. We made a snowman from a beef burger carton and some cotton wool. We only recently threw it out, well after all those years the snow was turning black.

It's lots easier these days even though trees etc are not sold openly. In Bahrain it's very different and all the decorations and trees are obtainable. Which reminds me, we are off there again on Wednesday night until Friday afternoon for some seasonal cheer and shopping.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2005, 03:18 AM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Beautiful post, Johnny. Would have loved to be there to see the look on little C's face.

Last time I saw a white Christmas was in 1980 in Teheran (Iran)....nothing since then. NZ has a warm X'mas every year, but the festive season here is as good as any and, in spite of it being peak summer, we generally have a great time.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote