The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2015, 01:21 PM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
AP classic grande complications

Wanted to share with you some pics of AP complicated watches.

Interesting in a way but not up to the level of design of Patek for these kinds of grande complication watches, as much as AP is top notch for their sport watches, it seems to me that Patek blows them out of the water with equivalent pieces.

Like a lot their pocket watch though, kind of piece which is really cool to have in a very big collection, or if your name is Johnny Depp, you see him very often with a chain indicating clearly he has a pocket watch

Enjoy the pics

2890523gross.jpg

25996TI_OO_D002CR_02.jpg

26356PT_OO_D028CR_01.jpg

26353PT_OO_D028CR_01.jpg

25712BA_OO_0000xx_01.jpg
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2015, 05:44 PM   #2
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Cool pics

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2015, 06:13 PM   #3
lapince
"TRF" Member

Wonder the price tag on the pocket watch, I guess hefty as it has split second chrono, minute repeater, perpetual calendar, moon phase and I don't know what else, of course I prefer to have a wristwatch but still think if you have a very big collection it's kinda cool to have one in it, I don't know of other brands that still make grande complications for pocket watches on a regular production as this AP seems to be, so that's a good point for AP.

I wonder how many RO and ROO pieces they sell per year, and how many of all the other pieces they sell, I have the impression, but maybe it's because we are on a Rolex forum where sport watches have the preference, that if they're still in business they owe it to their sport lines, they can really say thank you to Genta, whereas Patek even if the Nautilus and Aquanaut lines are a certain part of their business they are clearly not as important to them as the RO/ROO's are for AP
Old 26 May 2015, 06:41 PM   #4
lapince
"TRF" Member

The full gold skeleton is truly awesome, but there are 2 different ones, I prefer the one where you don't see the date disk, I find it much more beautiful, ok the other one is also a really cool watch, but even if I usually prefer a watch that has the date, I prefer the non date skeleton, on the pic it looks like yellow gold but it's just the lighting I guess as it's RG as the date model

Just added another pic of the non date where the Rg is more visible, it is really awesome looking

3135289d_xxl.jpg

3005231gross.jpg

3135289_xxl.jpg
Old 26 May 2015, 09:29 PM   #5
nick c
Banned

Great pics
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2015, 09:47 PM   #6
LostinNihon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712/5164/SBGW253/
Those are great pictures... while design wise, I think the Patek complications look nicer. From a movement perspective, they may be equals... I seem to recall that historically, when Patek needed help with the Graves supercomplication, they turned to AP. Also, APRP (Audemars Piguet Renaud & Papi) are the suppliers of Richard Mille's most high end movements. AP is a very respectable brand - one of the holy trinity...
LostinNihon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2015, 11:49 PM   #7
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinNihon View Post
Those are great pictures... while design wise, I think the Patek complications look nicer. From a movement perspective, they may be equals... I seem to recall that historically, when Patek needed help with the Graves supercomplication, they turned to AP. Also, APRP (Audemars Piguet Renaud & Papi) are the suppliers of Richard Mille's most high end movements. AP is a very respectable brand - one of the holy trinity...
John, I agree completely, I wrote that design wise the Patek pieces which correspond to these are way better.

Yes AP has shares in RM as far as I know and they help or make the complicated movements for them, as far as holy trinity I agree but as we are saying the "classic" design for their complication pieces as the ones I posted lack a serious redesign, but for sport watches, RO and ROO, they are clearly the best high end sport watch brand
Old 27 May 2015, 05:45 AM   #8
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I think the AP skeleton is a great piece--- especially the one that Arnaud posted. That one has been on my short list for some time. I don't like some of their complicated watches because they lack a second hand. In terms of the pocket watches-- be careful because there are a lot of Audemars that are not the Audemars of AP--- and even Audemars-Piquet -- These are legit old pocket watches but not from the AP we are familiar with. It is interesting that many of the American made pocket watches made in late 1800s to 1920s (e.g. railroad) or so are more collectable than well known Swiss manufacturers. There are lots of exceptions and of course the Swiss pocket watches with lots of complications including repeaters have become very collectable and hence expensive
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2015, 07:51 AM   #9
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
The beauty of the RG Openworked Skeleton with Date is that it is the Ultra Thin Version. I don't believe the non date version is as thin. Am I correct? Tried it on at the NY Boutique last year at a trunk show where they were previewing all the new pieces and it is SICK! Not a limited edition but was told they do make very limited quantities of the piece. The date wheel is distracting but awesome at the same time IMO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (139.6 KB, 138 views)
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2015, 01:52 PM   #10
LostinNihon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712/5164/SBGW253/
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
John, I agree completely, I wrote that design wise the Patek pieces which correspond to these are way better.

Yes AP has shares in RM as far as I know and they help or make the complicated movements for them, as far as holy trinity I agree but as we are saying the "classic" design for their complication pieces as the ones I posted lack a serious redesign, but for sport watches, RO and ROO, they are clearly the best high end sport watch brand
Arnaud, we are totally on the same page. As I type this, I am loving my Patek complication - WG / Slate dial 5146. That is a classic Patek design - both the front and back. For 'dress-ier' watches, its tough to beat PP...

Let me also freely admit, I LOVE the 5712 & its on my short list of timepieces. I would also love to get a ROO chrono (42MM) as well. Too many great watches out there make keeping a roster down to 3-4 a big-time challenge
LostinNihon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2015, 03:14 PM   #11
thurgood
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
The beauty of the RG Openworked Skeleton with Date is that it is the Ultra Thin Version. I don't believe the non date version is as thin. Am I correct? Tried it on at the NY Boutique last year at a trunk show where they were previewing all the new pieces and it is SICK! Not a limited edition but was told they do make very limited quantities of the piece. The date wheel is distracting but awesome at the same time IMO

I much prefer the RG openworked ultra thin version with the date, it's not as hollower as its predecessor, I don't particularly like skeleton watches that are so cut out where you can see through your wrist.. That's just me
thurgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2015, 03:16 PM   #12
thurgood
"TRF" Member

Nice pics
thurgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2015, 03:18 PM   #13
thurgood
"TRF" Member

Hands down RG ultra thin