The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 4 January 2010, 05:37 AM   #1
Hawk99
"TRF" Member

1680 gains 20+ sec while jogging???????

Hi All,
It's been a while since I ever really checked the accuracy of my Sub (was running +2sec/day from service 4 years ago), but recently I noticed that during an hour jog my watch gains over 20seconds.
My watch is not worn loose, and my jogging style does not put the watch through excessive pounding.
I thought the movements (1570 in my case) had technology to handle these types of shocks. What could cause this gain in time? Is a full service required? Or just a regulation?
Thanks for your insight.
Hawk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

hmmm..my sub is running a bit slow. Maybe I'll take it with me on my next jog!
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2010, 10:07 AM   #3
gregdolley
Banned

Watch: Rose Gold Daytona
That's not good. You should take it in for service. It's not regulation, there's something causing the time to speed up when you jog.
gregdolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is likely nothing wrong with your watch..

The hairspring turns the balance wheel about 300 degrees of rotation for the correct amplitude and timing........

This balance wheel has three forces working on it... the mainspring torque, gravity, and centripetal force..

The last one is the biggie when you jog or put your wrist through a repetitive movement..... particularly over a long period of time...

Your arm swinging is likely countering the attempt of the spring to rotate the balance a full 300 degrees......... this reduction in amplitude quickens the locking and unlocking (tick-tocking) of the escapement.... it ticks faster..

It's like sticking your hand out the window of a car and moving it forward... if the car isn't moving you can easily move it with x force applied... put the car in motion and that same x force will not move your hand as far... The force is, of course, not wind, but rather that centripetal force of your moving arm.

Now, perhaps a stronger mainspring could counter this affect slightly.. but I don't think that I would do anything but understand it, then not worry about it....
Old 5 January 2010, 03:09 AM   #5
Hawk99
"TRF" Member

Thank you TOOLS for your detailed explanation. That makes a lot of sense.
I am glad to know whats possibly going on in there.
Regards,
Old 5 January 2010, 03:12 AM   #6
Dr.B
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
Stop Jogging....
Hope it all goes well, listen to TOOLS, he knows.
Dr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 03:31 AM   #7
Hawk99
"TRF" Member

Yes I will heed the words of TOOLS. The name alone had me accepting the explanation.
But what about the Milsubs? They had the same movement (maybe older) and cannot see the military accepting a watch that could be off by 30 sec after a serious run. Just a thought.
Old 5 January 2010, 03:32 AM   #8
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.B View Post
Stop Jogging....
Ya beat me to it!
Old 5 January 2010, 04:39 PM   #9
flatpat

I dunno. I respect Tools explanation, but 20 seconds fast for just an hour or so of just jogging doesn't seem right. Especially for a high quality watch that is adjusted for isochronism. Maybe "jog on down" to a watchmaker and see if he can throw it on his vibrograph real fast and see what its shows.
flatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2010, 04:07 AM   #10
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
edit
slevin kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2010, 05:46 PM   #11
ayres
"TRF" Member

Watch: whatever runs
interesting phenomenon... i'm a runner (though it does nothing for my waist line), and i would say it is a love/hate relationship, as i hate bringing myself to do it, but it feels so good afterward. so, i run with my rolex. i should also point out that every few months, i'll test for accuracy/consistancy throughout a week. when i owned a sub nd, i ran with it for about eight months before it began gaining five seconds on the evenings when i ran. now, your thinking, five seconds?... it's nothing. and it isn't. but my sub nd had insane skills at keeping the time - no matter what i did throughout the day.

being the scientist that i am, i began trying to duplicate the gain. i began checking my sub's time before i ran and after i ran, and sure enough... it was happening only when i ran - but not every time. other than that, it was at +1 sec/day.

why did it not gain time for all those months i ran with it? what made it suddenly begin? why did it not happen every time i ran thereafter?

being that i had other, more pressing matters - like life - i just assumed something along the lines of what larry has written above (though with much less technical sophistication) and went on with my business.

it's nice to have a more detailed explanation. cheers,
ayres is offline   Reply With Quote