The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 September 2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Kanger
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
To those who have an iPad, advice please...

Hi guys,
I have been debating something for my secondary device. I already have a powerful MBP 15 as my primary desk device. However, it is plugged to a monitor, the internet, and the power so it is very inconvenient to move around and take to class. I've debated whether I should get an iPad or a Macbook Pro 13 to haul around. So for those who have the iPad, any words of wisdom.
Kanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 10:46 AM   #2
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Depends on your use.

It's great for anything that doesn't require a LOT of input.

Even then you can get a keyboard for it.

My wife loves hers and has abandoned her netbook, but she still uses the big computer for input-intensive and tasks that require connectivity or programs that are not supported on the iPad.
Old 22 September 2010, 10:48 AM   #3
mach330
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,PAM 90
it really depends on what you use it for. if you do a lot of typing...it blows. surfing the web, music, simple task, i think it's great.
mach330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 10:54 AM   #4
beerformeplz
"TRF" Member

Watch: seadweller
Awsome for browsing forums and exploring the net. It's size and weight makes it easy to use.
beerformeplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
it really depends on what you use it for. if you do a lot of typing...it blows. surfing the web, music, simple task, i think it's great.
X2.

I have two laptops, and I'm still debating weather or not to get the iPad myself.

Either way, I'm definitely holding off until the next iPad comes out (January or so).

As was said, if you need something to surf the web, type up QUICK reports, etc. than the iPad is a great device to have.
If your business will rely on it, your gonna be doing heavy typing, office documents, etc. then I'd get a lappy.

If your choice was between an iPad or a Netbook, I'd hands DOWN choose the iPad.

I just want one just to have one
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 12:02 PM   #6
Kanger
Banned

what makes you say that the iPad will be updated in January, and should I go for the wifi or the wifi + 3G model.
Old 22 September 2010, 12:05 PM   #7
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanger View Post
should I go for the wifi or the wifi + 3G model.
Unless you need it someplace and wont' have WiFi, that's an extra $$$ monthly charge. If you have one of the phones that can act as a hotspot, you are in business regardless.
Old 22 September 2010, 12:05 PM   #8
robsteve
"TRF" Member

Daniel:

I asked myself the same questions about getting an iPad this spring. I was also working from a 15" MBP Pro connected to a 23" Cinema display. In the end I decided to just buy a new 27" iMac with the i7 processor as a desktop machine and relegate the MBP to portable use.

Robert
robsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 12:08 PM   #9
Kanger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
Daniel:

I asked myself the same questions about getting an iPad this spring. I was also working from a 15" MBP Pro connected to a 23" Cinema display. In the end I decided to just buy a new 27" iMac with the i7 processor as a desktop machine and relegate the MBP to portable use.

Robert
lol, that's funny. Thanks bud
Old 22 September 2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Porsche
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: and learn
I own a design studio, and spend 12+ hours a day in front of an array of 3x24" monitors... at home, I usually use a 15.4" laptop to check mail, surf the net etc.

I bought an iPad about 4 weeks ago. I thought it a bit of an indulgence, and the novelty would wear off... HOW WRONG I WAS.

You NEED ONE OF THESE!!!

My wife has threatened to confiscate it. I am spending WAY more time on the net now. So easy...
- Google/Wiki anything I want to know immediately
- Check my Ebay buying and selling
- Watch Youtube vids late into the night in bed
- Read my emails anytime, and of course
- Spend waaaay too much time here on TRF

(you'll even find it quite conveniant to take to the "smallest room in the house" instead of a newspaper or magazine )

Battery last for 1-2 days of frequent use, unlike a laptop only goes for 1-2 hours! Smaller size is so much more conveniant than laptop (see my mate BartMoon above), bigger screen is so much more usable than an iPhone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Apple die-hard (my desktop and laptop are PC) BUT, I think Apple has a sleeper here, and as more people discover it (and the look-a-likes) there'll be a flood!

BUY ONE! Hope that helps

ROLEX --- SEIKO --- HEUER

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 12:23 PM   #11
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
If you're using it primarily to take notes in class, there are apps that allow you to handwrite notes on the iPad screen that you can save to a file.

But if you're looking at doing serious typing or need a mouse to run intensive apps e.g. graphics programs, look elsewhere.

I have the 3G iPad with the unlimited data plan. Too many people focus on the cost rather than on the time-savings benefit of the 3G connectivity. If you're making minimum wage, the numbers don't work. But if you're making a solid 6-figure annual income, it more than repays itself from the get-go.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 12:28 PM   #12
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
what makes you say that the iPad will be updated in January, and should I go for the wifi or the wifi + 3G model.
Many Apple websites / tec reviewers predict Steve Jobs will be announcing an updated iPad in Q1 of 2011. So far, it's just a matter of fact with all of apples products and release dates (ie. every June, a new iPhone is released).

The next iPad is supposed to have a front facing camera for Facetime calling, a rear camera, etc. So, I've survived 24 years on this earth without an iPad, I guess I can wait another 5-6 months
Oh, and as for which model to get, if you DO get the 3G model, keep in mind you can "pay as you go". So if you only need 3G coverage for, say a week, the you switch it on when you need it, and off when you don't.

Me personally, I'd probably go with the WiFi only model, since almost everywhere nowadays has a WiFi hot spot (heck, even the Golden Arches has WiFi now lol)
Old 22 September 2010, 01:05 PM   #13
Kanger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Many Apple websites / tec reviewers predict Steve Jobs will be announcing an updated iPad in Q1 of 2011. So far, it's just a matter of fact with all of apples products and release dates (ie. every June, a new iPhone is released).

The next iPad is supposed to have a front facing camera for Facetime calling, a rear camera, etc. So, I've survived 24 years on this earth without an iPad, I guess I can wait another 5-6 months
Oh, and as for which model to get, if you DO get the 3G model, keep in mind you can "pay as you go". So if you only need 3G coverage for, say a week, the you switch it on when you need it, and off when you don't.

Me personally, I'd probably go with the WiFi only model, since almost everywhere nowadays has a WiFi hot spot (heck, even the Golden Arches has WiFi now lol)
great point. I think I will get a 3G model and not sign up for 3G unless I absolutely have to, which is probably summer when I am away from campus.
Old 22 September 2010, 01:40 PM   #14
mach330
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,PAM 90
new iPad will also have a 7" version to compete with the galaxy tab. i'm actually waiting for that galaxy tab as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHOZZ...layer_embedded

also, i would only get a wifi. i have a 3g phone which most android phones can do wifi tether for free. pointless to pay for another $30/mo plan.
mach330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 08:25 PM   #15
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Apple rumours are like Rolex rumours, no one really knows, I will say that if one needs a front or rear facing camera then the good money is on the next upgrade of the iPad, personally, I don't need that, I don't conference call and have a good camera on my phone and in my bag.

Problem with upgrades is that as soon as the upgraded one is released, another "must" have facility will be rumoured for the next upgrade, one can wait all of one's life for the perfected upgrade, that is just the cheaper option.

I have one and a MBP, it is very good for surfing the web (instant startup is a bonus) checking e mails and watching TV in bed, my wife has just returned after an operation so uses BBC iplayer quite a lot in bed for the TV radio and magazines. The battery life is brilliant.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2010, 09:59 PM   #16
93 Turbo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex.Tudor.PAM
Have the MBP15. it's great. I personally would get the MBP13 over the ipad as it has more versatility for me and the work I do. I can't get the kids off my MBP15. The 13 is better for bisiness travel. I'm a recent convert Cheers.
93 Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 02:23 AM   #17
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
My avatar says it all an echoing all previous responeses. iPad rules!
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 02:28 AM   #18
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Movies
Go for the iPad. It is a great machine to a fair price. I just realized that the keyboard I use for my Playstation 3 is also compable with the iPad, and it was surprisingly easy to connect the two. I use Apple's own case (the black one) and it is great so I recommend buying that at the same time.

Here is the Keyboard I use: (Logitech Cordless MediaBoard with Bluetooth)

http://www.product-reviews.net/wp-co...keyboard-1.jpg
Sweramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 05:05 AM   #19
robertneville
"TRF" Member

Watch: me burn
iPad for sure. also, i bought a wifi the day they came out. sold it and got a 3g. nice thing about that is you can cancel your 3g service anytime you want. no contract, and can have it on one month and off the next, whatever your preferences!

Motocross is life!
robertneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 07:56 AM   #20
Kanger
Banned

Can I buy a 3G and not sign up for 3G unless I have to
Old 23 September 2010, 08:10 AM   #21
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Can I buy a 3G and not sign up for 3G unless I have to
Yes. The way I use the device I have no need for the 3g. Mine has the capacity, but after several months, I still havent activated...
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 08:56 AM   #22
Mike B
"TRF" Member

True, but the old saying goes, "you'd rather have it and not need it, then get one without it and wish you had it when you need it" . . . . . . or something like that :)
Old 23 September 2010, 09:03 AM   #23
CL65AMG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Any Rolex
I bought the 64GB with 3G and have no regrets...it works well. I now only use my MBP only 25% of the time...
CL65AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 10:50 AM   #24
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I will probably pick one up sometime soon but not too excited about the elimination of the unlimited data plans. I wish ATT would grandfather new lines that are added to existing unlimited accounts.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 10:55 AM   #25
multimedia
"TRF" Member

MacBook Pro and iMac 27" owner here, and I use my iPad all the time (well, perhaps not all the time. But one thing is for sure, and that is that I'm really happy that I decided to get this little monster. )

iPad Tops in Consumer Satisfaction: Report - CNBC

Cheers,
Joe
Old 23 September 2010, 08:01 PM   #26
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
True, but the old saying goes, "you'd rather have it and not need it, then get one without it and wish you had it when you need it" . . . . . . or something like that :)
Hey Mike, greetings from S.Central Pa.
How you doin? (sorry, but this is a hijack!)
iPad shmipad...who cares?
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 08:32 PM   #27
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
I have the mbp 15 also....bought the iPad....mbp sees little action....only for bigger work related tasks...web, email, tv, film, yt, apps, games, music, iPad rocks!

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2010, 11:21 PM   #28
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
Hey Mike, greetings from S.Central Pa.
How you doin? (sorry, but this is a hijack!)
iPad shmipad...who cares?
Dan !!! What's been happening my friend ??
I'm pritty much the same as the last time you saw me :(
Other than that, I guess I'm alright. We're conting down the days till the Pittsburgh meet lol I can't wait to see everyone again !
Old 24 September 2010, 12:08 AM   #29
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Something to keep in mind. The people that bag out the iPad all the time, say its inferior to a netbook etc, don't get it, and are NOT iPad owners. The people that own them, love them. The level of owner satisfaction is huge. Also Watchtime's magazine app is possibly the best magazine iPad app out at the moment, the mix of video, cross referencing and high resolution zoomable images is superb.
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote