The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2013, 01:33 PM   #1
DC Engineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710
Indecisive for first purchase.

I was close to pulling the trigger on my first Rolex. I decided on a DJII smooth bezel, silver sundial. I went to the AD with $8K cash on me. I had a bad experience, the saleswoman was clueless on the models, kept shoving models for me to try on and I asked if there was flexibility on paying full MSRP. She explained "NO DISCOUNTS" on Rolex. Discounts are only available on Tag, Breitling and Omega. Her tone was more like "the thought of this guy, being concerned about price". That day just wasn't my day.

I've since been researching more and I'm sold on the SS GMT IIc now. I travel often, I like the practicality of it, but I also like the Milgauss GV, which from what I've been following since it came out initially has increased in price. I do have a engineering background and worked in a magnetic field area once, but my GSHOCK survived it flawlessly. Doubt I'll need that feature, but the GV looks good in a cool engineering way (aesthetics) and the GMT IIc seems like an awesome travel watch. I lost the love of the DJII after my wife kept telling me it's something her dad would wear.

I'm basically looking for a quality Rolex to wear in meetings, dinners, ballgame or a night on the town.

Any recommendations are appreciated? Looking to spend $7-8K, prefer buying from AD. Local to DMV metro area.
DC Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 01:37 PM   #2
roelfaras
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubDateC, GMT2C
Can't go wrong with the GMTII C. Great watch.
roelfaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 01:37 PM   #3
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Gmt ii would be great. I also like the DJII though, especially as a work-week watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (101.7 KB, 626 views)
Old 22 March 2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Cesium133
"TRF" Member

Be happy with a 3-5% discount on most SS models, maybe more for a slow seller. DJII with smooth bezel might be hard to get with a discount since it's somewhat newer in the line up. GMT is a favorite of most in these parts. But really, almost any Rolex can be dressed up or down. I would encourage you to consider the DJII again since it's an all around, simple yet classic design. Good luck!
Cesium133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I think any of the SS models would be suitable for your intended purposes and within your price range (barring the Daytona if we're talking new from an AD).

All comes down to what appeals to you the most.

The GMT IIc is certainly very functional with date and the ability to track 3 time zones as well as the convenience of the Easylink clasp (though I like the glidelock on the sub better).

Don't let one bad experience with a salesperson discourage you. Take your time and try them all on. Good luck with your decision, making it is part of the fun.
Bangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
SS GMTc would be the choice I would make from those you mentioned.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

The Milgauss GV is a cool watch but I've always thought of it as a watch for those with many others.

If this is going to be your first Rolex and a daily wearer, I think the GMTIIC is way more practical and can surely fit in for any occasion.
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 03:06 PM   #8
boywondergq1
"TRF" Member

You have the exact same taste as me; I love the same three. I went with the GMT first, then the DJII. The Milgauss lost out against the DJII (black stick) on the dial colour (charcoal brown against the vivid contrast of the ink black one found on the DJII) as well as the no date (it bothers me).
I'd go DJII or GMTII. Stay with the classics. The Milgauss is gorgeous too but who knows how long that design will stick around for. Also consider that Omega in the next few years plan to release their new anti-magnetic movement in all of their watches following the debut in the Aqua Terra rated at 15,000 Gauss (Milgauss is 1,000) once it is refined and then where will the Milgauss fit in?

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." - Oscar Wilde
boywondergq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 03:42 PM   #9
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

When I purchased my DD the AD told me that they are able to be flexible with the price because of the watch it is. She also said that if I was looking at a SS Sub that its price wouldn't be flexible, just because it is one of or the top seller for Rolex. So that would probably be the case here. It's very hard to talk down pricing on Subs and DJ that are in the 8k range. But, if you want to save money, you could have them ship it out of state to someone you trust. You'll end up saving on taxes.
aw9nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
GMTIIC gets my vote
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 05:21 PM   #11
newbieincali

You should be able to get 10% off a SS model at an AD. Dont settle and get what you want.... Dont over look trusted TRF sellers! You'll save money and time and you will be very happy
newbieincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 05:26 PM   #12
BigDoug

DJII gets my vote. Classic design, works in all situations. I think your first instinct was correct.
BigDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 08:24 PM   #13
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Word of advice, I would look around...

I understand wanting to buy at an AD, I really do (I did) but you can save a small fortune going through a good seller on here (there are many) I venture to say that you could almost get two quality time pieces here, for the price of one at the AD by the time it's all said and done.
69mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 08:36 PM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Of those def get the GMTC. And ADs are for suckers, the very rich or guys who havent found this forum. Use a TD here and save 10-15%.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 08:36 PM   #15
RADMD3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona GMTII DJII
GmtIIc is a great all around watch and I think would fit your purposes. Milgauss is more of a unique watch that looks great esp with the green crystal, but if u travel and want a slightly more sporty watch, then gmt might be the better choice. It's my daily beater. Good luck with ur decision!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363948544.734957.jpg
RADMD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 08:40 PM   #16
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
One more thing to think about, is if every little imperfection bothers you, stay away from polished watches. I had a rolex and breitling that I ended up selling fairly quick because the desk diver marks bugged me too much.
69mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 09:51 PM   #17
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
The GMTIIc is a great all around watch. The ceramic bezel and the Polished links give it a bling factor but also can be a sports watch in the truest sense! The Milgauss is nice but a notch below the GMTIIc.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 10:06 PM   #18
gpfps
Banned

Watch: 18078
Sounds like you made up your all ready with the gmt. Like you said you could use it when traveling . Look at the pre ceramic ones ,I think they are a classic, not as flashy!
gpfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 10:09 PM   #19
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Go for the GMTIIC, sounds like it'd be perfect for you
Old 22 March 2013, 10:29 PM   #20
gmtm2
"TRF" Member

no doubt: gmt ii c
Old 22 March 2013, 10:58 PM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Engineer View Post
I was close to pulling the trigger on my first Rolex. I decided on a DJII smooth bezel, silver sundial. I went to the AD with $8K cash on me. I had a bad experience, the saleswoman was clueless on the models, kept shoving models for me to try on and I asked if there was flexibility on paying full MSRP. She explained "NO DISCOUNTS" on Rolex. Discounts are only available on Tag, Breitling and Omega. Her tone was more like "the thought of this guy, being concerned about price". That day just wasn't my day.

I've since been researching more and I'm sold on the SS GMT IIc now. I travel often, I like the practicality of it, but I also like the Milgauss GV, which from what I've been following since it came out initially has increased in price. I do have a engineering background and worked in a magnetic field area once, but my GSHOCK survived it flawlessly. Doubt I'll need that feature, but the GV looks good in a cool engineering way (aesthetics) and the GMT IIc seems like an awesome travel watch. I lost the love of the DJII after my wife kept telling me it's something her dad would wear.

I'm basically looking for a quality Rolex to wear in meetings, dinners, ballgame or a night on the town.

Any recommendations are appreciated? Looking to spend $7-8K, prefer buying from AD. Local to DMV metro area.
You are not going to get a discount on a ss model in the DC area.

The GV and the GMT are nice, consider the sales forum here for the best deals.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2013, 11:23 PM   #22
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

I was offered an 8% discount from my local AD on a DJII. I would be patient and shop around to several ADs in your area. If you feel comfortable purchasing online, there are several great trusted sellers here on TRF (DavidSW being on of them). In terms of DJII or GMT, I would go with the DJII. I think your first instinct was spot on. After reading that you often travel for your job and the wife believes the DJII looks like your fathers watch, perhaps the GMT more suits your situation. The two time zones is very nice. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me; however, I get confused reading the time on GMT watches because of the third hand. I like the DJII smooth bezel as it is an Iconic watch that allows you to fly under the radar a bit. Very classy.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
rolex75216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 12:46 AM   #23
slim4511
"TRF" Member

Love the GMT IIc.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
slim4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2013, 03:49 PM   #24
DC Engineer
"TRF" Member

Went to the AD closest too me at Tyson Corner II. Great experience being able to try on the watches that I liked. I definitely narrowed it down to the SS GMT IIc. The Explorer 39mm was quite a shocker, excellent look once I put it on. Long story short, AD was willing to discount 2%. That's right 2% and sales tax would be 5%. At 8450 list price, this is insignificant. I'm combing through the classifieds tonight... I'm so close. Thanks for all the PM's, you guys are the best.
Old 24 March 2013, 12:22 AM   #25
DC Engineer
"TRF" Member

Just sent payment off to bodybump. Make me proud Oscar!!!1
Old 24 March 2013, 01:39 AM   #26
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Sounds like the 116710 is the perfect choice.

Happy Hunting!
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 01:42 AM   #27
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach351 View Post
Word of advice, I would look around...

I understand wanting to buy at an AD, I really do (I did) but you can save a small fortune going through a good seller on here (there are many) I venture to say that you could almost get two quality time pieces here, for the price of one at the AD by the time it's all said and done.
X2. And don't force yourself to make a decision. Keep visiting ADs and looking at pics. Eventually one watch will stand out.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 03:14 AM   #28
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Engineer View Post
Just sent payment off to bodybump. Make me proud Oscar!!!1
Congrats! What did you decide on?
rolex75216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 03:20 AM   #29
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Oscar's a great guy and the GMTIIc is a great watch.

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 04:24 AM   #30
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I'd go with the GMT. It is an iconic Rolex and you will use its function plenty since you travel a lot.

BTW, since you want to purchase through an AD and do travel frequently it might be worth looking into buying it on a trip out of state. While AD discounts on the SS model are not very big, you can save another 6-8% over most discounts you negotiate if you can avoid the sales tax by having them ship the watch to your home in another state.