The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 24 July 2016, 09:22 AM   #1
Karlus
"TRF" Member

Rolex 118239 Day Date Bezel Question

Hi, I bought a 2010 G serial number White Gold Fluted Day Date 36mm. The fluted bezel had been polished and not looking amazing.

I purchased a factory white gold bezel that has three small circles with crowns on the underside. Looks great.

I brought it to my watch repair and he said that the newer watches (with the engraved rehaut) had bezels that had a small groove on the underside for a gasket.

My bezel that I bought has a smooth bottom. I looked on ebay to find bezels that had this groove and saw a few stainless steel ones, but no fluted gold had this groove. Its not a Day Date II, so I dont think there is a gasket to hold the bezel on.

Am I crazy? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600wgaaaa.jpg (150.7 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600wga.jpg (137.3 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by Karlus; 24 July 2016 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: correction
Karlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2016, 03:54 AM   #2
Karlus
"TRF" Member

Update: The Bezels ARE different

ok, quick update. Turns out there is a difference in bezel for G serial and scrambled serial. The watches with the engraved rehaut.

The correct bezel is actually slightly different in diameter and has a small land or step on the bottom.

So what does this mean? Older bezels with the smooth back are the wrong size.

I enclosed a pic as an example
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600sss.jpg (30.9 KB, 171 views)
Old 11 September 2016, 12:53 AM   #3
Karlus
"TRF" Member

Bezel update

So now I have two 36mm fluted WG bezels side by side for example

The top is the older style bezel, the bottom is for 36mm watches with the engraved rehaut (Rolex repeating on the inner bezel)

Even with the naked eye I can see the newer style is a hair larger. It also has a small inner ridge which I believe accommodates a different type of gasket

What is interesting is that the older has two rolex crowns stamps (the little circles) but the bottom has three. Im not sure if this indicates if it came off of a day date vs datejust or what the meaning is.

Bottom line, the newer style watches (ie random serial) bezels have a different design and are not compatible with the older watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bezels.jpg (180.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 11 September 2016, 02:05 AM   #4
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
Older case construction is a more traditional design. The bezel is effectively a compression ring which holds the plexiglass or sapphire crystal washer against the case flange to form a waterproof seal.
On the newer style case construction the compression ring is a separate "clamping" ring made of Titanium. These are fitted before the outer bezel, the outer bezel is then fitted over the clamping ring. That is why newer style outer bezels have to be machined to accommodate the clamping ring underneath. You are correct in you assumption that a newer style bezel will not fit an older case and vice versa.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote