The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 November 2017, 04:14 AM   #1
SeaBass800
"TRF" Member

Advice on buying Coke GMT

Hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase a Coke GMT. Is there a particular year range/series/mechanism that is better than the others? If you could also let me know what is a reasonable price range, that would be great. Thank you in advance!
SeaBass800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 04:44 AM   #2
jcatt
"TRF" Member

You should provide more info. Are you looking for a GMT Master or GMT Master II? Do you want really old, or newer? Do you have a preference for solid end links or holes/ no holes cases? If these questions create more questions for you, you can do some research here and hone in on what you really are looking for, and then it'll be pretty easy to get a sense of price for that.

As an FYI, all stainless GMT's are going up in value big time recently. I just bought an F serial (2001-2004) GMT Master II pepsi, no holes case, no box or papers, for $7,200. I mention this just to give you a ballpark. Of course, older watches, or ones with full set of papers, etc. can and do go for much, much more.
JCATT
jcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 04:46 AM   #3
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

All depends on what you are looking for. If you want solid end links that started in 2000. If you want a holes case then you need to go pre 2003. No holes cases started in 2003. Late 2007 they integrated the 3186 movement instead of the 3185. But you will pay nearly double the cost for a 3186 movement. I dont think that is worth the extra money. I think you should be prepared to pay ~$8,000 from trusted sellers such as DavidSW etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 04:51 AM   #4
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Advice on buying Coke GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatt View Post
You should provide more info. Are you looking for a GMT Master or GMT Master II? Do you want really old, or newer? Do you have a preference for solid end links or holes/ no holes cases? If these questions create more questions for you, you can do some research here and hone in on what you really are looking for, and then it'll be pretty easy to get a sense of price for that.

As an FYI, all stainless GMT's are going up in value big time recently. I just bought an F serial (2001-2004) GMT Master II pepsi, no holes case, no box or papers, for $7,200. I mention this just to give you a ballpark. Of course, older watches, or ones with full set of papers, etc. can and do go for much, much more.
JCATT

K serial = 2001. (Holes case)
Y serial = 2002. (Holes case although late Y serials have no holes)
F serial = 2003. (No holes case)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 05:27 AM   #5
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
I like the GMT Master II 16710...but would also suggest you consider an Explorer II 16570. It's very, very similar...the only difference is the rotating bezel, but I feel that the Exp II is a much better value.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 05:40 AM   #6
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Check out WatchRecon for an idea of pricing. My GMT Master II (16710) Pepsi was about $7800 early this year. A Coke should probably sell for less, in anything but brand new/unworn condition.
Old 2 November 2017, 07:10 AM   #7
jcatt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th_doc View Post
K serial = 2001. (Holes case)
Y serial = 2002. (Holes case although late Y serials have no holes)
F serial = 2003. (No holes case)
Thanks, yes, what he said!
Not sure what I was thinking
JCATT
jcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 07:13 AM   #8
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Mine is a 2000 A serial. It was originally Coke but now on Pepsi and looks incredible.
It has the Swiss Made Dial and superluminova but doesn’t have the solid end links.

I absolutely love it.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 07:17 AM   #9
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Mine is a 2000 A serial. It was originally Coke but now on Pepsi and looks incredible.
It has the Swiss Made Dial and superluminova but doesn’t have the solid end links.

I absolutely love it.
One of the benefits of the 16710 model is swappable bezel inserts. For the price of the insert you can go Coke, Pepsi, or all black. It's a 5-minute job and easily accomplished.
Old 2 November 2017, 07:21 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
just get a quick set -- the rest is all self correcting.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 07:31 AM   #11
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Since it hasn’t been said yet... most important thing is prob buying the seller. Also , tritium vs superluminova is another consideration .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 07:32 AM   #12
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uansari1 View Post
I like the GMT Master II 16710...but would also suggest you consider an Explorer II 16570. It's very, very similar...the only difference is the rotating bezel, but I feel that the Exp II is a much better value.
+1. Not only is it a more rare watch to see, but it's probably the most undervalued 5-digit sport watch.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 09:56 AM   #13
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
+1. Not only is it a more rare watch to see, but it's probably the most undervalued 5-digit sport watch.
Agree, and I was shocked to read that you sold yours! I was sure that would be your "forever" watch, as I followed your posting.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 10:10 AM   #14
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
Agree, and I was shocked to read that you sold yours! I was sure that would be your "forever" watch, as I followed your posting.
I know. It's a bummer. You know what happened? The darn convex back on it started giving me wrist pain. It was certainly an improvement over my thicker Sub, which is why I tried it in the first place, but, over time, I started getting the wrist pain again, and I kept finding myself wearing an old Omega, instead.

When I saw Adam start posting about his Tudor, which has a day complication that I find handy, I gave that a try, since it has a flat back, and that seems to have kicked the issue, but the Explorer II is still the coolest Rolex sport watch, to me.
Old 2 November 2017, 10:11 AM   #15
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

duplicate post
Old 2 November 2017, 10:23 AM   #16
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Bracelet is key.. make sure it is tight.. shop wisely OP
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 10:25 AM   #17
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Bracelet is key.. make sure it is tight.. shop wisely OP
Oh, I've been a member of the high and tight club my whole life. There's just something with the Rolex caseback that always bothers me if the watch has any weight. It's almost like it's pushing down on a pressure point. FWIW, my DateJust was always fine, so it appears to just be the sport models.
Old 2 November 2017, 11:12 AM   #18
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I know. It's a bummer. You know what happened? The darn convex back on it started giving me wrist pain. It was certainly an improvement over my thicker Sub, which is why I tried it in the first place, but, over time, I started getting the wrist pain again, and I kept finding myself wearing an old Omega, instead.

When I saw Adam start posting about his Tudor, which has a day complication that I find handy, I gave that a try, since it has a flat back, and that seems to have kicked the issue, but the Explorer II is still the coolest Rolex sport watch, to me.
That's too bad, but understandable. No reason to sacrifice comfort. That Tudor is very sharp, indeed.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 11:21 AM   #19
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
That's too bad, but understandable. No reason to sacrifice comfort. That Tudor is very sharp, indeed.
Yeah, I really like this little watch, so we'll see how long "forever" is this time. So far, so good.