The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 November 2017, 05:06 PM   #1
easyrider7467
"TRF" Member

Do I wait for 2018 model or ...........

So yesterday I visited an AD and tried on a few of my usual suspects.
Here's the line-up.....

1. DJ jubilee 36mm
2. Exp I
3. OP
4. Sub

I wore my TT DJ with tapestry dial ref 16233 for wear and appearance comparison.

The new SS DJ with jubilee bracelet was beautiful however, it quickly made me realize why would I get another DJ when I already own one and its freakin beautiful and its vintage.

The Explorer I, I liked it. I liked the dial, the way it appeared on my wrist. Perfect. A simple yet distinguished statement.

The OP, not for me. Again, a toned down DJ. No cyclops, oyster bracelet, what no fluted bezel? nice dial though. But it wasnt calling to me.

The Submariner. Oh boy! Looked killer in the light, love the contrast of the black n white dial. And there's a functional bezel? You mean I can take my time keeping to another level and use it as a timer ! And compared to my DJ which exudes classical music and candlelit dinner with my Love. This Sub is my heavy metal thunder !!
Rocking down the highway on my HOG or rippin along asphalt ribbons in my sports car. Yeah, thats it.... Its ready to handle what ever I can dish out.

Big question is .....

Do I wait for Rolex to introduce the 2018 model line? (I assume this is in january 2018, correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks!
easyrider7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 05:14 PM   #2
JustBlueFish
Banned

I may be wrong but I thought they wait till the Basel World watch show which is in late March to announce things like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JustBlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 05:24 PM   #3
easyrider7467
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBlueFish View Post
I may be wrong but I thought they wait till the Basel World watch show which is in late March to announce things like this.

Yes, JustBlueFish, I think you're right..... Ah man, I waited this long maybe another few months more. This is killing me,
Old 28 November 2017, 05:36 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Even if they do release a new Sub at Basel (very unlikely, IMO), it will probably be many months before you can get one.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 05:44 PM   #5
Forum-Dweller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider7467 View Post
(I assume this is in january 2018, correct me if I'm wrong)
Yes, you're wrong. Announcement is last week of March, and availability is typically June-October, pending you're a regular of the AD because they're going to be playing games to feed their best buyers. Just look at the blue SS Sky-Dweller announced in March. Unless you're willing to pay the premium, your AD is not going to get you one this year. Or likely even next year.
Forum-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 05:47 PM   #6
nipponsuisse
"TRF" Member

And if in 2018 they update nothing you like, you’ll wait 2019?

... better a hen today or an egg tomorrow?

nipponsuisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 05:58 PM   #7
Helmi
"TRF" Member

And if they announce new model, typically the older discontinued one get a price increase in pre-owned market. No?
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 06:38 PM   #8
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Rolex does not change the model range each year, it might take a decade or more for a particular model to get some "upgrades".
For me part of the allure of the brand, you are never outdated wearing a Rolex.
Waiting for a new release (which nobody knows if at all..) and than trying to get one ??? Good luck.

If you like the current Sub, useless to wait imho
Old 28 November 2017, 06:50 PM   #9
"TRF" Member

4 months until any announcement, add to that a couple of months until you can get your hands on any new watch. That’s 6-7 months waiting.
997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 07:39 PM   #10
Teku
"TRF" Member

I personally waited 5 years before I pulled the trigger on my first Rolex for the exact reason that I was "waiting" for something better to come out.

I spent most of 2013 undecided between a Sub and GMTii, and wondering if there will be a ceramic sea-dweller coming out soon. When the SD4K came out at Basel 2014 I managed to find one at Hong Kong airport to try on but didn't like it - the diameter and thickness felt disproportionate to me. At the time I did not appreciate how rare it was that I came across the SD4k, Sub and Sub no-date all in one spot. Not picking one of them up was a decision I'd come to regret.

After being disappointed by the SD4K I was convinced that Rolex would replace the SD4K with a larger model for the 50th anniversary and so I waited some more.

2015, Yachmaster.

2016, Daytona.

2017, SD43. Finally, but by now I had decided I am not a cyclops guy and the Sub ND was the one which would fill the Rolex void in my heart.

In September this year I went to 15 Rolex boutiques across Tokyo and Osaka and at the very last one found a lone 114060 on display. That watch has not left my wrist since.

Moral of the story? Just get the Submariner.
Teku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 08:45 PM   #11
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Personally, I would not hesitate to buy now. It’s not just to wait for the announcement, but further delay in waiting for the model to be made available for sale, and then how long it takes for you to actually find one.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 08:57 PM   #12
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
Just get the sub or exp can’t go wrong.
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 09:44 PM   #13
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would buy the Submariner now. Enjoy it and if a change does occur in March of 18 you will have one of the last of a model. If no change, you will be wearing a watch and enjoying it months before.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 10:02 PM   #14
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
That is easy.

If you need a watch then buy one. If you don't then wait.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 12:42 AM   #15
JustBlueFish
Banned

Is there something about the current model you don’t like, that you’re hoping gets changed? Or is it more that you just want to make sure you have the latest and greatest?

Old 29 November 2017, 01:01 AM   #16
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Even if they do release a new Sub at Basel (very unlikely, IMO), it will probably be many months before you can get one.
⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️ Agree! I’d go for it now!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 01:42 AM   #17
easyrider7467
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBlueFish View Post
Is there something about the current model you don’t like, that you’re hoping gets changed? Or is it more that you just want to make sure you have the latest and greatest?

Good Point. Size if anything. My wrist is approx 6.75" (or 8cm). Wearing the datejust at 36mm.

Advice?
Old 29 November 2017, 01:50 AM   #18
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Watches are anachronisms, not computers, If anything, the “old” model will potentially be worth more some day, if that matters to you, but who knows? Just buy what you like. As others have said, even if there would be an unlikely new model, it’ll probably be 6-12 months before you get your hands on one.

edit: Now I see size is a concern to you. Just go buy a nice 16610.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 02:34 AM   #19
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So yesterday I visited an AD and tried on a few of my usual suspects.
Here's the line-up.....

1. DJ jubilee 36mm
2. Exp I
3. OP
4. Sub

I wore my TT DJ with tapestry dial ref 16233 for wear and appearance comparison.

The new SS DJ with jubilee bracelet was beautiful however, it quickly made me realize why would I get another DJ when I already own one and its freakin beautiful and its vintage.

The Explorer I, I liked it. I liked the dial, the way it appeared on my wrist. Perfect. A simple yet distinguished statement.

The OP, not for me. Again, a toned down DJ. No cyclops, oyster bracelet, what no fluted bezel? nice dial though. But it wasnt calling to me.

The Submariner. Oh boy! Looked killer in the light, love the contrast of the black n white dial. And there's a functional bezel? You mean I can take my time keeping to another level and use it as a timer ! And compared to my DJ which exudes classical music and candlelit dinner with my Love. This Sub is my heavy metal thunder !!
Rocking down the highway on my HOG or rippin along asphalt ribbons in my sports car. Yeah, thats it.... Its ready to handle what ever I can dish out.

Big question is .....

Do I wait for Rolex to introduce the 2018 model line? (I assume this is in january 2018, correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks!
I do not think there are major changes in 2018, but if you like for example the Sub.116610 and wait until March the price will be quite different than now, due to the shortage in that model.
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 02:58 AM   #20
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's been my experience when you try something on and it sings to you, then strike while the iron is hot. An in person "sing" is worth 1,000 "Wow...that's nice" while looking at pics on the internet. And...If you're thinking about next year, you're overthinking it. Not to mention even if there were to be a new sub introduced, it would probably be more than a year to get your hands on one.

Some of my biggest regrets are watches I've fallen in love with and then handed back to the nice sales lady.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 07:11 AM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Do I wait for Rolex to introduce the 2018 model line?
Many of us are waiting for the 2016 ceramic Daytona. Then there's the 2017 SS SkyD blue dial we're waiting for....

Stop waiting, and start enjoying your time
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 07:17 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd buy now, these are going to be harder to find and nothing is known for Basel.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 10:41 AM   #23
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
^^^This exactly, no guarantee there will be a new submariner model and if there is it could be a years before you acquire it. The worst excuse for delayed gratification in the world, waiting for Basel. Buy smart and you will lose next to nothing, if by chance you want a newer model later.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 11:37 AM   #24
JustBlueFish
Banned

Quote:
Good Point. Size if anything. My wrist is approx 6.75" (or 8cm). Wearing the datejust at 36mm.

Advice?

You’re hoping the Sub gets made smaller? I don’t think that’s gonna happen.

Will the case get a slightly modified appearance to go back to the older style thinner lugs? I don’t think even that’s coming but some people are holding out hope. That said others think it might get bigger, and go up to 42mm. I don’t see that happening either.

Old 29 November 2017, 11:43 AM   #25
Erks
"TRF" Member

Don't wait, go for the sub.
Erks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 11:43 AM   #26
Rjongco
"TRF" Member

If you can afford it now go for it. Otherwise you’ll just end up waiting and waiting.
Rjongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 12:33 PM   #27
easyrider7467
"TRF" Member

!! UPDATE !!

I visited my AD tonight only to discover that the Sub was sold!!!

but......................

They have another one that will available this week!!

I paid for the watch in full and I'm now the proud owner of a 2017 Rolex Submariner (no date) !!

Thank you very much Gentleman for your guidance, your passion and your unrelenting knowledge. Happy Holidays !!

John.
Old 29 November 2017, 12:40 PM   #28
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
Congrats!!!! Make sure to post some pics when it arrive!!
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 12:41 PM   #29
Seanken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teku View Post
I personally waited 5 years before I pulled the trigger on my first Rolex for the exact reason that I was "waiting" for something better to come out.

I spent most of 2013 undecided between a Sub and GMTii, and wondering if there will be a ceramic sea-dweller coming out soon. When the SD4K came out at Basel 2014 I managed to find one at Hong Kong airport to try on but didn't like it - the diameter and thickness felt disproportionate to me. At the time I did not appreciate how rare it was that I came across the SD4k, Sub and Sub no-date all in one spot. Not picking one of them up was a decision I'd come to regret.

After being disappointed by the SD4K I was convinced that Rolex would replace the SD4K with a larger model for the 50th anniversary and so I waited some more.

2015, Yachmaster.

2016, Daytona.

2017, SD43. Finally, but by now I had decided I am not a cyclops guy and the Sub ND was the one which would fill the Rolex void in my heart.

In September this year I went to 15 Rolex boutiques across Tokyo and Osaka and at the very last one found a lone 114060 on display. That watch has not left my wrist since.

Moral of the story? Just get the Submariner.
I hung around this form before pulling the trigger on my modern rolex. Again and again and again I have heard sub, subc, classic. I visited an AD and looked at it for ten minutes. A week later i walked in and bought.

No regrets.

Classic.

It's on my wrist all the time.
Seanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 12:48 PM   #30
OcdRob
"TRF" Member

Congrats!!! Your going to love the Sub.
OcdRob is offline   Reply With Quote