The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 30 March 2018, 05:36 AM   #1
mation
"TRF" Member

Just noticed a price jump for the 5712/1A

So about a year ago I was looking at the Nautilus 5712/1A. It was beautiful watch and I noticed one could get it from a trusted dealer on here for 30K. I thought the price was justified for a beautiful time piece like that and then moved on.

Today I decided to go this forms of classified section of this forum and noticed it is being sold by trusted seller for about 54k. I have not been following what is going on in the watch world for about a year now. I was wondering if anyone knew what caused the price jump and when did it happen?

I must admit I thought someday I could get that watch, but I am not sure if I can personally justify spending 54k on that watch. I'd probably want to spend that type of money on a Vacheron Constantin or A.lange & sohne.
mation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 05:53 AM   #2
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Whilst supply is assumed to have thus far remained generally constant, there has been a markedly elevated interest in and demand for Patek Philippe Nautilus timepieces, driving a large supply deficit and expanding secondary market premiums. There appears to be a part of the market for which this is also a vicious cycle.

Patek Philippe has recently increased retail prices for the 5711/1A and 5712/1A by 20% in a single move on 1 March 2018, in a bid to either quell demand and/or capture a greater share of the upside. For now, only the latter appears to be the case.

Whilst I am always wary of engaging in rumour-mongering, I have heard from a handful of international authorised retailers that their allocations of certain Patek Philippe Nautilus timepieces have been reduced, whilst others have been delayed. This may well be a bid to direct sales of such pieces to Patek Philippe's own boutiques, further capturing more of the upside, or it could be an alternative policy that may lead to an even greater supply deficit. Others on this forum may well have greater insight on the validity of this point.

Whilst I think that the 5712/1A is an excellent piece, at USD 54,000 I would certainly recommend considering wider options including those from Patek Philippe's peers.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 06:02 AM   #3
mation
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
Whilst supply is assumed to have thus far remained generally constant, there has been a markedly elevated interest in and demand for Patek Philippe Nautilus timepieces, driving a large supply deficit and expanding secondary market premiums. There appears to be a part of the market for which this is also a vicious cycle.

Patek Philippe has recently increased retail prices for the 5711/1A and 5712/1A by 20% in a single move on 1 March 2018, in a bid to either quell demand and/or capture a greater share of the upside. For now, only the latter appears to be the case.

Whilst I am always wary of engaging in rumour-mongering, I have heard from a handful of international authorised retailers that their allocations of certain Patek Philippe Nautilus timepieces have been reduced, whilst others have been delayed. This may well be a bid to direct sales of such pieces to Patek Philippe's own boutiques, further capturing more of the upside, or it could be an alternative policy that may lead to an even greater supply deficit. Others on this forum may well have greater insight on the validity of this point.

Whilst I think that the 5712/1A is an excellent piece, at USD 54,000 I would certainly recommend considering wider options including those from Patek Philippe's peers.
Thank you for your response. I think the 5712/1A is the most beautiful sports wathc I have seen. But I could never justify paying that kind of price for that watch.

Does anyone happen to know what the MSRP of the 5712/1A is right now?
Old 30 March 2018, 06:21 AM   #4
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mation View Post
Thank you for your response. I think the 5712/1A is the most beautiful sports wathc I have seen. But I could never justify paying that kind of price for that watch.

You're welcome. The price varies by region and should be available for you to view on www.patek.com.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 06:51 AM   #5
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just under $40k USD
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 06:55 AM   #6
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

the only solace in this is that i look forward to selling mine down the line and getting a 5711R at retail!
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 07:01 AM   #7
sctp39
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
the only solace in this is that i look forward to selling mine down the line and getting a 5711R at retail!
rarely, we win some...
sctp39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 07:25 AM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have not been following what is going on in the watch world for about a year now. I was wondering if anyone knew what caused the price jump and when did it happen?
Now you know how Rip Van Winkle felt. Fell asleep and when he woke up everything had changed.

You missed a lot.

Go back to bed and in 2 years it will be normal again.... also patek released a SS pilot. It was named the 5522 and everyone lost their minds.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 08:06 AM   #9
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So about a year ago I was looking at the Nautilus 5712/1A. It was beautiful watch and I noticed one could get it from a trusted dealer on here for 30K. I thought the price was justified for a beautiful time piece like that and then moved on.

Today I decided to go this forms of classified section of this forum and noticed it is being sold by trusted seller for about 54k. I have not been following what is going on in the watch world for about a year now. I was wondering if anyone knew what caused the price jump and when did it happen?

I must admit I thought someday I could get that watch, but I am not sure if I can personally justify spending 54k on that watch. I'd probably want to spend that type of money on a Vacheron Constantin or A.lange & sohne.

I have been trying to get the 5712 for the last 14 months and to be honest I have never seen the 30k price range for this watch. Even before the price increase they were selling at 35k a year ago. After the increase, it rrp is 39k and that explains the jump in Grey prices. That situation will remain as long as supply and demand do not change.
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 09:38 AM   #10
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Now you know how Rip Van Winkle felt. Fell asleep and when he woke up everything had changed.

You missed a lot.

Go back to bed and in 2 years it will be normal again.... also patek released a SS pilot. It was named the 5522 and everyone lost their minds.
and people got banned
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 11:11 AM   #11
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

This is obviously all speculation, but personally I see the values of the 5712 and 5711 holding or increasing. I believe the brand will decrease the supply as needed to drive sales to other models in the line. As a result the entire nautilus line is then treated the same (this is almost already the case and also comparable to the SS Rolex line).

Everything is obviously cyclical and when the markets and economy come down, these will too, but in the short term I see them growing. I think a 65k 5711 is going to be standard for 2-5 years.
Old 30 March 2018, 11:18 AM   #12
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
I have been trying to get the 5712 for the last 14 months and to be honest I have never seen the 30k price range for this watch. Even before the price increase they were selling at 35k a year ago. After the increase, it rrp is 39k and that explains the jump in Grey prices. That situation will remain as long as supply and demand do not change.
Oh why, oh why did I pass on a double sealed example I was offered in September for 36K.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 12:27 PM   #13
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

The best part actually of all this is...it's made me learn far more about the brand and there are just so many pieces that scream/represent Patek in complications/grand complications. I got my sights on them now and if the Nautilus ever comes great...but I won't miss it with what I'm after.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 12:47 PM   #14
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
The best part actually of all this is...it's made me learn far more about the brand and there are just so many pieces that scream/represent Patek in complications/grand complications. I got my sights on them now and if the Nautilus ever comes great...but I won't miss it with what I'm after.
Really great statement! Early congrats!
Old 30 March 2018, 06:10 PM   #15
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Just noticed a price jump for the 5712/1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Oh why, oh why did I pass on a double sealed example I was offered in September for 36K.

I did exactly the same thing, back in April 17 I was offered one from a grey dealer for 35k not sealed but brand new. I bought it, sized it, took it home and while admiring it in the evening, I noticed a small ding in the bezel. It got mad took it back, the dealer was great, he offered me too options:

1- wait until he secures a sealed one for me. The date was unknown and he was in a different country so I did not like that option.

2- pay 1k more and take a double sealed 5712G. At that time I was still new to the watch game and the option of buying a white gold one for almost same price as steel felt very tempting so I took it. Still have it, love it but can't use it as my daily watch or to work due it's dressy/being nature. So it is kept only for special occasions and I bought the steel simply because I could not get over the itch of the blue dial and full steel bracelet. May be in the future I will flip the G but still undecided. I feel the price was good for a double sealed watch and I use it as my top dressing watch. It gives a feeling that is totally different from any other steel watch out own
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 06:35 PM   #16
wisguy
"TRF" Member

And to think a couple of years ago I passed on a new blue 5711 at MSRP at the AD, at the time I could not afford it...
Old 31 March 2018, 02:23 AM   #17
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

a beauty indeed...

tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 03:16 AM   #18
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Old 31 March 2018, 04:02 AM   #19
mation
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
It may have been 2 years ago then. I remeber it hovering around the 30K Mark
Old 31 March 2018, 04:11 AM   #20
mation
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
a beauty indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
In my opinion it is the most beautiful modern sports watch and probably the second most beautiful sports watch made (right after Explorer 1655).

But I won't spend more then 40K on that watch and I know at this point in my life I don't want pay that kind off money. I can only afford it in a few more years and I feel like at the watch is appreciating (and if all the rumor are true about the SS model slowing down in production), I don't think this beauty will be in my grasp. But who knows.
Old 31 March 2018, 07:12 AM   #21
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In my opinion it is the most beautiful modern sports watch and probably the second most beautiful sports watch made (right after Explorer 1655).

But I won't spend more then 40K on that watch and I know at this point in my life I don't want pay that kind off money. I can only afford it in a few more years and I feel like at the watch is appreciating (and if all the rumor are true about the SS model slowing down in production), I don't think this beauty will be in my grasp. But who knows.
Join the club. I think it's one of the most stunning sports watches in current production. That said, I refuse to spend more than 40K on it, and even that is steep in my eyes. There are plenty of other nice watches out there for less money. I'm ready to let go - I'll be thrilled if one comes in, but I won't waste a second being sad if I never get ahold of one.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 08:07 AM   #22
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Join the club. I think it's one of the most stunning sports watches in current production. That said, I refuse to spend more than 40K on it, and even that is steep in my eyes. There are plenty of other nice watches out there for less money. I'm ready to let go - I'll be thrilled if one comes in, but I won't waste a second being sad if I never get ahold of one.
I dunno, I can’t name hardly any other watches around that price that have the same quality and prospective collectibility. There are certainly plenty of other expensive watches out there, that’s true.
Old 31 March 2018, 08:55 AM   #23
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Over the past 9 months I’ve called almost every AD in the US and Canada and no one has one or knows when they will get one.

I’ve put 2 deposits at 2 different ADs a year ago and I’m still waiting.

I have 5 Patek ADs in my local area (NY/NJ) that I visited multiple times, and before the craze, they said about a year wait.

Now they are saying that they would be very lucky if they get more than one a year and I should look at buying another Patek while I’m waiting to improve my chances.

One AD called me last week and was so excited that they got this “exquisite” timepiece for $107,000 that would bump me up to the top of the list.

Another one offered me a vintage piece that needed service and was $15,000 above any listed price anywhere.

These guys are not stupid and they know what’s going on and want a piece of it by using the 5712, 5711 and soon the 5726 to sell the less desirable watches they have in stock.

So if a trusted seller is offering a BNIB 5712 that was dated March of 2018 for 14k above list, is that really that bad?

How many other trusted sellers have it in stock?

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk