The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 June 2020, 01:57 AM   #1
quicksilver.0045
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex explorer
Stolen Explorer 1016

Hi, I was recently mugged and robbed in Buenos Aires of a Rolex Explorer 1016 which I bought as a young man in 1969....heart breaking to lose a watch in such a way after owning it for over 50 years !!! Is there an official Rolex website to register stolen watches ??? Have given details to the watch registry in London to see if anything turns up, not very hopeful though........
quicksilver.0045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 02:02 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is no official registry on-line.

Rolex SA does accept an official theft report that has been filed with law enforcement agencies. If the watch is recovered by Rolex, they notify that agency about it.
Old 9 June 2020, 02:46 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Very sorry to hear about the theft. If you google, I think you will find some private internet databases of stolen watches, but obviously you are correct in thinking that the odds are against your ever seeing that watch again. I think thewatchregister.com is the most reputable.

An acquaintance of mine had his 1675, also purchased by him new in the late 60s, and worn throughout his tour in Vietnam, stolen off his wrist in Buenos Aires a few years ago. Given the crazy run-up of GMT Master prices across the board, he decided to replace it with a modern pre-owned Explorer II.
Old 9 June 2020, 03:33 AM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

That’s awful - especially the sentimental value of the Explorer. As Larry said nothing at Rolex is online for you to access. But if you will secure a copy of the Buenos Aires police report, Rolex will take your theft report.

That Rolex report is online for their RSC’s to access via the intranet. Then the process unfolds to eventually get the watch back to you.

I wish Rolex would make it available on the extranet for parts account holders and ADs - but I’m not sure they would want to confront a thief with the news that the watch has been flagged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 06:37 AM   #5
quicksilver.0045
"TRF" Member

Hi, thanks for the info...I dont really understand the jargon, is an RSC a retail agent and what is an AD ?? I have the police report which is available for anyone who can help !!! Can anybody give me an email or website address to make an initial approach to Rolex ? I feel that the thief must have to buy or obtain another oyster bracelet as he literally ripped it off of my wrist........
Old 9 June 2020, 06:58 AM   #6
77T

Stolen Explorer 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver.0045 View Post
Hi, thanks for the info...I dont really understand the jargon, is an RSC a retail agent and what is an AD ?? I have the police report which is available for anyone who can help !!! Can anybody give me an email or website address to make an initial approach to Rolex ? I feel that the thief must have to buy or obtain another oyster bracelet as he literally ripped it off of my wrist........

RSC = Rolex Service Center
AD = Authorized Dealer (Retailer)

Look at this website -
https://www.rolex.com/watch-care-and...openhagen.html

Click on the Service center choice and you get this map:

Please note there is no RSC in Denmark so you would then click on the closest icon in that website to you. It will reveal the contact info. Here is one RSC but in Czech Republic:

And their phone number:

When you call them just let them know you need to report a Rolex theft for their records. You would likely need to speak the language for the country you call.

You could also search for Rolex HQ in Geneva since you’re in EU.

On the other hand, if you click on the Rolex retailer choice you could call or go to the store and get instructions in your language.

I don’t know your home city so couldn’t say which one is closest.

Hope that helps.

Old 9 June 2020, 07:38 AM   #7
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Sorry to hear of your loss let’s hope you can report it to Rolex and hopefully get reunited with it one day.
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 07:46 AM   #8
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Is it smart to put the serial number in this topic so it will be listed on google when someone enters it?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 08:35 PM   #9
quicksilver.0045
"TRF" Member

Hi, thanks for the info...I phoned Rolex HQ UK this morning and they sent me a report form in very short time for the full details etc.

Details must include police report and number and of course the watches serial number.......it could turn up sometime in the future. Heres hoping..........

As a heads up I bought it in Singapore in 1969 new for £49 when I was in the Royal Navy, it was recently valued at £15,000.

That was some investment to lose.........
Old 9 June 2020, 09:01 PM   #10
Deaf Stan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi, I was recently mugged and robbed in Buenos Aires of a Rolex Explorer 1016 which I bought as a young man in 1969....heart breaking to lose a watch in such a way after owning it for over 50 years !!! Is there an official Rolex website to register stolen watches ??? Have given details to the watch registry in London to see if anything turns up, not very hopeful though........
So sorry to hear that. I can't imagine losing BOTH that amount of money AND that level of emotional attachment. A double investment.

Hope you are OK and weren't hurt.
Deaf Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 09:54 PM   #11
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Hi, thanks for the info...I phoned Rolex HQ UK this morning and they sent me a report form in very short time for the full details etc.

Details must include police report and number and of course the watches serial number.......it could turn up sometime in the future. Heres hoping..........

As a heads up I bought it in Singapore in 1969 new for £49 when I was in the Royal Navy, it was recently valued at £15,000.

Good luck! It’s a crushing loss, but at least you’re safe. Could have been worse.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 11:58 PM   #12
77T

Stolen Explorer 1016

Quote:

I hope your physical injuries were minor compared to the emotional loss.

Yes you must have hope. Do you still have contact with the local police where the crime was committed? I realize communication would be difficult due to language differences but one path to recovery is capturing the muggers. But it can be a pathway for capturing the thieves and perhaps a lead to recover the watch from them (or the fence if they sold it).

It’s a long shot but it can happen.

Out of 4 Rolexes stolen from me in a burglary, we recovered one by apprehending the culprits. Also got back much of the jewelry.

By “we” I mean the concerted efforts with 3 police departments, a TV news producer, my own shoe leather, and finding witnesses from the burglars’ crime spree.

So local authorities can be helpful if you have the time to make it a priority for a detective.

I’m still hoping for the 3 that weren’t recovered during the arrests. Perhaps some future unsuspecting buyer takes one of them to an RSC. But at least I have the solace that 15 years in the slammer will keep the ring leader of my burglary from victimizing other citizens.

I hope you’ll come back with good news and update this thread even if it takes a year or more.

Old 10 June 2020, 12:04 AM   #13
BigBlue1

Watch: it pal !
Sorry to hear. I wish you the best. Least your safe.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 12:25 AM   #14
CalSRQ1

Watch: 5513
so sorry to hear - glad you are physically ok. Hope for the best in locating your watch.
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote