The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 April 2020, 02:41 AM   #1
PDF
"TRF" Member

How many Daytona 6264 14K where made?

I am looking at a 14K Gold Daytona 6264 with original box and papers from the original owner and was told that very very few where made in 14K making this one of the rarest Daytona's. They said it was only made for the US market and at that time almost all gold made were 18K. They said that for sure less than a 100 but don't know how few. Any ideas about this watch would be appreciated.
PDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 03:28 AM   #2
RLXFRM
Banned

A picture will make it easier for us ...
RLXFRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 03:42 AM   #3
PDF
"TRF" Member

I was hoping for help on more info about 6264

RLXFRM I am trying to learn all I can about 6264 14K. I am looking to buy. I don't want to be confrontational and appreciate all help but how does photo help identify how many were made.
Old 25 April 2020, 04:40 AM   #4
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
Tiffany & Co. 6264

I don't believe Rolex S.A. ever discloses production numbers on any of their watches, past or present. The 14K 6264 is a pretty rare bird. Finding one from an original owner watch with original box and so on would be a monumental find. The Tiffany & Co. below (watch only) sold for $491,619 US in Geneva 5/13/2017 at the Phillips Geneva auction.

vintagewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 04:50 AM   #5
PDF
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing the info. Yes, I have not been able to find production quantities and was hoping that someone on this forum had access to that info. I did see that listing which provided some detail but did not include production. We may never know how many exist.

Here is the info about the watch you were nice enough to share a photo of.

Manufacturer: Rolex;Year: 1971;Reference No: 6264;Case No: 2'802'738;Model Name: Cosmograph Daytona;Material: 14K yellow gold;Calibre: Manual, cal. 727, 17 jewels;Bracelet/Strap: 14K yellow gold Rolex Oyster bracelet, reference 7205, end links stamped 57, max length 190mm.;Clasp/Buckle: 14K yellow gold folding deployant clasp stamped F;Dimensions: 37.5mm. Diameter;Signed: Case, dial, movement and bracelet signed;Literature: The present watch is prominently displayed in Ultimate Rolex Daytona by Pucci Papaleo, page 6.;Catalogue Essay;The present watch, reference 6264, is an exceedingly rare model which was produced for a very short period in the early 1970s. The model features the caliber 727. In contrast, its predecessors, such as reference 6239 or 6241 were fitted with caliber 722. Reference 6264 is most notably fitted with a black acrylic bezel and pump pushers.;Due to the reference's short production period, it is incredibly rare to find an example cased in yellow gold. Yet, to find one in 14k gold such as the present watch is almost unheard of. Research suggests that Rolex watches delivered to the United States were cased in 14K yellow gold due to import reasons. The fact is especially pertinent when one considers the Tiffany & Co signature on the dial, supporting the fact that the present watch was made for the American market, and retailed at the jeweler. Originally founded as Tiffany & Young by Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young in 1837, the American firm retailed some of the most exquisite watches from watchmakers such as Patek Philippe and Rolex.;The case has been preserved in excellent condition, with the hallmark for 14K gold, a squirrel, punched under the lug. All gold marks are crisp and legible, and the top of the lugs feature sharp finishes throughout. There is a light layer of patina near the pushers, which gives this watch so much charisma. It takes a long time for patina to "build", and one can conclude that the present watch has been untouched for years, having seen no intervention.;The most eye catching feature however, is the dial. On top of the cherished Tiffany & Co signature, the watch also features subsidiary registers which have turned a beautiful brown shade over time. This "tropical" effect gives the watch immense character, and provides warmth and contrast to the dial, especially against the gold graphics and champagne background.;Proudly displayed in Ultimate Rolex Daytona, the present watch offers innumerable pleasure and striking details for even the most discerning collector.
Old 25 April 2020, 05:01 AM   #6
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I am looking at a 14K Gold Daytona 6264 with original box and papers from the original owner and was told that very very few where made in 14K making this one of the rarest Daytona's. They said it was only made for the US market and at that time almost all gold made were 18K. They said that for sure less than a 100 but don't know how few. Any ideas about this watch would be appreciated.
I would be curious about the asking price since prior sales have been mid 6 figures and one with its B&P would probably go for more.

Please post pics OP.
Old 25 April 2020, 05:23 AM   #7
PDF
"TRF" Member

I am not able to upload a photo because the file size is to large

Sorry I tried to attach photo.

Last edited by PDF; 25 April 2020 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: size allowed
Old 25 April 2020, 06:18 AM   #8
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
Picture

Feel free to e-mail picture(s) and I'll host a link for you.
David.
vintagewatch@juno.com
vintagewatch is offline   Reply With Quote