The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 September 2020, 01:37 AM   #1
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

I need a sportcoat/jacket

Hello all,

Im a young man who would like your opinions on a sport coat or jacket for casual wear.

I intend to wear it on the weekends around town with some nice jeans maybe a shirt underneath, or maybe just to polish up my look with just a tshirt underneath.

I just want to look more presentable. There are several mens shops in town and im sure i could go in and ask the same question and have success, but i wondered if any of you guys have a tried and true brand that you rely on and know you can order something off the rack without tailoring that will get the job done

Thank you kindly---
Rochester585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 01:40 AM   #2
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I have no idea of companies anymore but I'd always suggest buy high quality garments and they will last a long time. Not something cheap and trendy.
Old 30 September 2020, 01:44 AM   #3
antelope
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Zenga makes incredible sports jackets and jackets. Quality is amazing and will last for years to come.
antelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 01:56 AM   #4
It's Hedley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester585 View Post
Hello all,

Im a young man who would like your opinions on a sport coat or jacket for casual wear.

I intend to wear it on the weekends around town with some nice jeans maybe a shirt underneath, or maybe just to polish up my look with just a tshirt underneath.

I just want to look more presentable. There are several mens shops in town and im sure i could go in and ask the same question and have success, but i wondered if any of you guys have a tried and true brand that you rely on and know you can order something off the rack without tailoring that will get the job done

Thank you kindly---
If you want a sport coat (or any clothing) to fit properly, count on getting to know a good tailor. They are worth the expense. You can't believe how well a garment fits after being professionally tailored. Better to buy an inexpensive sport coat (pants etc) and have it tailored than to buy expensive ill fitting clothing. You will learn this in time.

For jackets, I recommend going to any store with a wide variety of sport coats and try on as many as you can then see your tailor.
It's Hedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 02:10 AM   #5
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello all,

Thank you kindly---
what's your budget and location (rochester NY?)?
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 02:22 AM   #6
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Hey Rochester585, welcome aboard.
I like Jack Victor brand for quality/fabrics/value.
If price is less of a concern you can’t beat Canali or Burberry.
For many years I shopped at the Red Barn in Pittsford, but as you probably know they closed about a year ago.
There are some other shops in town that you can find with a quick Google or Yelp search. At least 2 of them are on Monroe Avenue.
Another option might be to check out a Hickey Freeman factory sale but their styles may not suit you as a younger guy.
Finally, as suggested above, do not shortchange yourself on the value of a good tailor. A tailor can make a sack look like it was custom made for you.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 02:26 AM   #7
Sperry
"TRF" Member

When I last bought fine clothes, after the salesperson left me alone, I consulted their on-site tailor. He was far more knowledgable about what fit and what "looked right".
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 02:27 AM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
if any of you guys have a tried and true brand that you rely on and know you can order something off the rack without tailoring that will get the job done
You are better off without a jacket if you are looking for "off the rack without tailoring".

I prefer Hickey Freeman, Zegna or Canali
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 02:40 AM   #9
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I am 36. I’ve got Hugo Boss, Brooks Brothers, Armani and a few custom tailored sport jackets from Hong Kong and Okinawa.

My advice would be find a tailor that does good work and go from there. You can bring your tailor a jacket and have them “fit” it to you or you can have your tailor make you a jacket with whatever specs you want. Both are good options but every man needs to experience a custom made jacket at least once in their life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 02:42 AM   #10
barneb10
"TRF" Member

I really enjoy Brooks Brothers.
barneb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 02:44 AM   #11
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Doesn’t really matter as long as it’s a quality brand and the materials will hold up.

I would say after the quality aspect the main thing that is really important is the tailoring. Sport coats look like crap if they don’t have a bit of tailoring done in my opinion. Every body type is slightly different and an odd the rack one will always be a little off generally speaking without some help.

My issue I find often is that in the US at least even if you buy let’s say a size 42 coat for instance the default tailoring is for a larger person. Personally, I’m sort of a more athletic build and pretty slim in the midsection, but I I get the off the rack coat that fits through the shoulders it looks overly bulky and goofy on the rest of it.
Old 30 September 2020, 02:46 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d head in to Nordstrom’s or Macy’s as they have a lot of decent off the rack brands to choose from.

Some brands are close or neat fitting, while others are cut more “generously”.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 02:49 AM   #13
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Veilance, Ministry of Supply and Bluffworks are my go to for something relaxed I can use with denim or casual dress up.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:20 AM   #14
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
I’m also a buyer of Brooks Brothers and I recommend taking a look there tosee if anything appeals to you.
The company recently announced chapter 11 due to covid related economy downturn and are closing a number of stores. You might find some deals.
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:24 AM   #15
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
If you are looking for quality, bespoke (custom) allows you to have one tailored to your specifications using materials of your choice.

If you are looking for a throwaway. Banana republic have decent quality blazer/sport jackets for as low as $50 when on sale. Get it tailored for another $50 and it will look great.

Whichever you choose know that tailoring is important. When it comes to suits, blazers, sport jacket, the price matters less than the tailoring. A cheap tailored jacket looks and feels 10x better than a $1000 ill fitting counterpart
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:32 AM   #16
JParm

Watch: Yes!
It is all about the tailor.

You can buy a $100 jacket that will look amazing on you, or spend $2000 on something that looks like a bag...and vice versa. The key is to find a good tailor, not how much money you spent on the suit. It has to fit you to begin with, too.

Obviously not a sport coat pic, but posting so you get the idea. This was a cheap suit that I got bespoke in Bahrain - Around $200, but has lasted me nearly a decade. Toughest part is keeping the lbs off...

Old 30 September 2020, 03:35 AM   #17
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Brooks Brothers is my go to - several fits and they can assist with tailoring. As said tailoring is the key - most Brooks Brothers have an onsite tailor that know how it should fit. Shop their sales and prices are reasonable - just got a few in the $179 to $249 range - can't beat them at that price point for the fabrics and quality.
Old 30 September 2020, 03:40 AM   #18
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Caruso. Canali. Corneliani. Zileri.
This should get you started. Great value for good prices.

Look them up. Get them on sale. You'll be a new man.

And yes - take them to a good tailor afterwards. A well-constructed garment is worthless if it looks like a bag of potatoes on you.

Cheers!
Old 30 September 2020, 03:45 AM   #19
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
As others have mentioned, find and develop a relationship with a tailor. You didn't state your age, and no matter; but if you're on the younger side, I'd urge you to buy something with a classic cut and stay away from super slim or other trendy fashion. When something with the super slim cut is worn, it always looks like the wearer got their clothes out of their little brother's closet. Best of luck.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:59 AM   #20
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
As others have mentioned, find and develop a relationship with a tailor. You didn't state your age, and no matter; but if you're on the younger side, I'd urge you to buy something with a classic cut and stay away from super slim or other trendy fashion. When something with the super slim cut is worn, it always looks like the wearer got their clothes out of their little brother's closet. Best of luck.
this too
Old 30 September 2020, 04:06 AM   #21
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Solid color, black or navy......go for a classic fit......and most important, get a good alterations tailor. With good tailoring an inexpensive blazer can look like a million bucks.
Old 30 September 2020, 05:32 AM   #22
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
GANT works for me .Fits well.

Blazer/black t shirt, Tiger of Sweden Pistolero denim , RM Williams Craftsman Boots ... well,that's my dress code.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 05:42 AM   #23
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
Spier and Mackay
Suit Supply
Bonobos
.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 05:42 AM   #24
Thug
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Solid color, black or navy......go for a classic fit......and most important, get a good alterations tailor. With good tailoring an inexpensive blazer can look like a million bucks.
OP do NOT get a black suit or sport coat.
Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 06:23 AM   #25
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
OP do NOT get a black suit or sport coat.
I agree. Save black for investment banking/funerals.
Old 30 September 2020, 06:25 AM   #26
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
It is all about the tailor.

You can buy a $100 jacket that will look amazing on you, or spend $2000 on something that looks like a bag...and vice versa. The key is to find a good tailor, not how much money you spent on the suit. It has to fit you to begin with, too.

Obviously not a sport coat pic, but posting so you get the idea. This was a cheap suit that I got bespoke in Bahrain - Around $200, but has lasted me nearly a decade. Toughest part is keeping the lbs off...

This
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 06:34 AM   #27
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Caruso. Canali. Corneliani. Zileri.
This should get you started. Great value for good prices.

Look them up. Get them on sale. You'll be a new man.

And yes - take them to a good tailor afterwards. A well-constructed garment is worthless if it looks like a bag of potatoes on you.

Cheers!

Man of excellent taste!
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 12:54 PM   #28
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Most everything said in here is solid advice. I’d agree to start with Nordstrom or Brooks Brothers; good way to find a nice affordable first coat that fits well off the rack. If you add more, which I suspect you will, this will stay a staple in your closet.

I have about 15 coats and jackets largely due to weight/size fluctuations and bought in a pinch for occasions. I have to go through and donate some and decide which to alter/keep.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 12:56 PM   #29
swils8610

I need a sportcoat/jacket

If you’re in Rochester check out Hickey Freeman. I’ve purchased many from O’Connells in Buffalo. Super quality and great service/tailoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 07:47 PM   #30
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

thank you all for the great feedback.

after posting i realized i may have left out details about my size, build, etc..but with most of the advice coming in to see a good tailor...i guess those details become less relevant

i am located in rochester, NY to those who have asked

my budget i suppose is open ended, ill spend what is necessary to get the desired result.

Maybe i should ask in this way; in your experience approxiately how much do you expect to spend to buy the jacket and have it tailored, or to have something made form the ground up from a clothesmaker/tailor?

thank you all for the wonderful advice and commentary, i already have plenty of information to get myself off and running here, But i know so many of you are polished, put together men and would be able to give good realistic fashion advice
Rochester585 is offline   Reply With Quote