The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 February 2022, 01:45 AM   #1
myk7000
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
Those who own the 5270 / 5204

Random question but thought I’d ask it here.

My holy grail watch has, for the longest time, been a PCC from Patek, and the two versions that sing to me are the 5270G and 5204P, both of which are unattainable for me but perhaps one day in the future…

I’ve even had thoughts in the past of selling my entire collection and just consolidating to one of those pieces, but figured it would be impractical given my lifestyle (sportier pieces are more used than dress for me by far).

My question is to those who have reached the pinnacle and own one of these watches. To you, is it just one (albeit nice and special) of your watches that you wear on rotation just like any other watch in the collection and you still have appreciation for all your other pieces equally, or is it the watch you always want to reach for, the one you appreciate the most and feel like could truly replace the others in the collection? Curious!
myk7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 02:32 AM   #2
Vasco
"TRF" Member

That's a very interesting question.

I thought about the same. I have the feeling that, with my life style, I can do with only one but I'd like to have the feedback from people who did this move.

I hope you'll achieve your goal soon.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 02:48 AM   #3
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I have a 5270 I haven't worn in 2 years...doesn't mean it's not a great watch...but there's lots of great watches out there.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 03:06 AM   #4
fuigo
"TRF" Member

Depending on the dial, it could be a versatile watch. I’m mostly biz casual or even just casual. I think 5270P fits in most scenarios. Obviously I’d never use it as a sports or tool watch. As a daily, it’s great. The watch performs well and keeps very accurate time.

I just wore it today on a biz trip. I used it to time the cab ride from the train station to the place of meeting, so I knew when to leave to catch the last train. Most people wouldn’t know what you have on your wrist too.

fuigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 03:16 AM   #5
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
I think you’ll want one sports watch to pair with the Grand Comp.

The 5270p (I like the P the best) and a SS Rolex could be a perfect two watch collection.
Old 17 February 2022, 04:37 AM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Most people who own a PCC and/or the split second PCC will have a decent collection of other Pateks. With so many Pateks to choose from to wear on a daily basis, the PCC will not get as much wrist time, unless it is your one and only. I am sure you know the 5270 and the 5204 are manual wind, so you will need to wind it up regularly.

I have owned the 5270 for a long time and have considered the 5204 and tried it on at several different ADs. But ultimately decided not to get a 5204 as it is similar enough to the 5270 IMO and there are many other options at that level including the 5370, older 5004, MRs, Celestials and other Grand Complication watches.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote