The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 December 2021, 04:48 AM   #1
CMAGS84
"TRF" Member

DJ 36: Advice for newbie working with AD

I bought my first Rolex from an AD in New Hampshire in 2019 - an OP 36. I was lucky that they had the exact watch in the store.

I’m now searching for my next Rolex, a DJ 36 (126200) - Blue dial, smooth bezel on a Jubilee. I called the AD and they informed me that Rolex is not taking requests at this time but they hope to be able to makes requests starting in January.

I was in Boston yesterday and I stopped by the new Rolex Boutique to inquire about the DJ 36. I told them the exact reference that I’m seeking. The rep didn’t bother to take my contact info, instead she gave me a business card and said I can email her, which I did. Based on my interaction in the boutique I’m not expecting a reply back.

Im hoping for some advice on how to work with my local AD’s. I know supply is tight these days, but I would think that a DJ 36 would be attainable within the next 6 months.

What’s the best way to be taken as a serious buyer and to actually have them make a request? Should I offer a deposit? Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CMAGS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 08:42 AM   #2
Watchesnguitars
"TRF" Member

Call around and see if there’s an AD who may take a deposit on the configuration you want.. Eventually you will probably find someone who is willing to work with you. Just be as honest as you can be with your intentions and let them know why you’re a fan of the watch… I would say things are probably wrapped up for the year but would give the AD’s a fresh shot at the beginning of the year :)
Watchesnguitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 08:48 AM   #3
CMAGS84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchesnguitars View Post
Call around and see if there’s an AD who may take a deposit on the configuration you want.. Eventually you will probably find someone who is willing to work with you. Just be as honest as you can be with your intentions and let them know why you’re a fan of the watch… I would say things are probably wrapped up for the year but would give the AD’s a fresh shot at the beginning of the year :)

Good advice, thank you. I’ll visit some local ADs in January to see if anything has changed. I’d be happy to give a deposit to get things started.

Old 19 December 2021, 08:51 AM   #4
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Actually I have had extensive interactions with the Boutique and by extension their stores and they will follow up with you on the piece you requested based on who has asked before you.
My recommendation is to be patient and email them every month or two to check in starting at the end of January…good luck!
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 09:13 AM   #5
SaintMickey
Banned

I wish I could wear 36mm. There are so many of them out there reasonably priced. I'd buy a watch like that used.
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 09:18 AM   #6
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Many ADs,footwork ,wait .

It sometimes come from the least expected .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 09:54 AM   #7
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
I wish I could wear 36mm. There are so many of them out there reasonably priced. I'd buy a watch like that used.
You should give it a try! It is the more proportionate option and the only size datejust men wore for 60+ years.
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 09:56 AM   #8
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmars View Post
You should give it a try! It is the more proportionate option and the only size datejust men wore for 60+ years.

I’ve had Rolex for almost 25 years… I’ve wore plenty of 36mm DJs. Just not for me.

Mickey
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 07:36 AM   #9
CMAGS84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Many ADs,footwork ,wait .

It sometimes come from the least expected .

What’s the etiquette for expressing interest for a specific DJ at two (or more) ADs? For example, if one was able to provide the watch would you call the other to inform them you no longer need to be considered?

Old 20 December 2021, 10:33 AM   #10
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
I would call around to AD’s within driving distance and see what they say. That, or use the web inquiry form on the Rolex website to find AD’s in your area. They very well might have this configuration in the case. I speak from recent experience: I did precisely this over the summer and bought three DJ 36s in different configurations between May and August (and was offered several more). It takes legwork, though. I called and visited upwards of 15 places, and many (many!) places were pretty rude in giving me a brush off, so I kept trying until I had some luck. Good luck!

P.S. The Boston Boutique called to offer me a blue dialed 41MM Datejust, which was odd because I had only asked about the 36MM and had only submitted a web inquiry, since I was planning on being in Boston for a trip. You never know when your’e going to get offered something. I turned it down, in case you’re wondering.
SoylentGreenChi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 12:55 PM   #11
wchbos
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
Actually I have had extensive interactions with the Boutique and by extension their stores and they will follow up with you on the piece you requested based on who has asked before you.
My recommendation is to be patient and email them every month or two to check in starting at the end of January…good luck!
That's good to hear!
wchbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 09:04 PM   #12
CalAlumnus
"TRF" Member

I placed an order with my AD for a DJ36 (black, oyster, smooth bezel, sticks) in July; he said it’d be 2-3 months. I’m still waiting.

Even if you find a shop that will place an actual order for you, doesn’t mean they’ll be able to deliver in the promised timeframe.
CalAlumnus is offline   Reply With Quote