The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 December 2021, 06:57 AM   #1
pierson
"TRF" Member

Does Rolex really track re-sales?

Hypothetically, I were to trade in a Rolex with another dealer, other than my AD, and they were to list it for sale, would that get back to my AD? Or, even worse, would Rolex track it back to them?

I’ve heard stories, especially with stuff like the stainless Daytona, but are they really true?

95% sure I’m not going to trade (I wouldn’t be selling), but more curious on everyone’s experience in this strange world where retail is so much less than market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 07:00 AM   #2
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Rolex? Not a chance. AD can do what they like with their resources.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 07:06 AM   #3
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Rolex don't give a dog's arse what you do with your watch.

The AD cares and upper management care, they say it's Rolex. Nonsense.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 07:08 AM   #4
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierson View Post
Hypothetically, I were to trade in a Rolex with another dealer, other than my AD, and they were to list it for sale, would that get back to my AD? Or, even worse, would Rolex track it back to them?

I’ve heard stories, especially with stuff like the stainless Daytona, but are they really true?

95% sure I’m not going to trade (I wouldn’t be selling), but more curious on everyone’s experience in this strange world where retail is so much less than market.

Rolex cares not. Some of the AD's with control issues do.

Trade, sell do what you want its your watch. smh.
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 07:10 AM   #5
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Rolex doesn’t keep track of ownership, they never have. It’s not Patek.
I bought 10 Rolex with blanco cards and could have written Donald Duck.
With the new style 2020 card you cannot even enter your name anymore on the card either.

They perhaps did this to facilitate the flipping and grey business. The brand is stronger than ever before with a win win for Rolex and their AD’s.
Never in the history more Rolex watches have been sold as in recent times.
Old 26 December 2021, 08:12 AM   #6
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
Rolex doesn’t care. ADs do.

azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 08:19 AM   #7
pierson
"TRF" Member

Thx! Was curious - so Assume Rolex only cares if AD’s charge above list and then calls it a day.

Old 26 December 2021, 08:24 AM   #8
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Saw another threads that unless it is a very rare piece like Rainbow daytona.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 08:32 AM   #9
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The ADs I know do care a lot though, and big ADs like WoS or Bucherer have a large enough footprint for there to be a chance that a watch they sold you in location A returns for maintenance on the wrist of someone else at location B. In a world where every reason is good enough not to allocate watches to someone, I‘m not out to cross my AD. Besides, I don’t buy to resell or even to make money. If I let go of a watch it’s only when I trade up, which I typically address quite openly with them while purchasing whatever the funds are needed for.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 08:41 AM   #10
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Rolex dgaf.
Old 26 December 2021, 08:46 AM   #11
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
The ADs I know do care a lot though, and big ADs like WoS or Bucherer have a large enough footprint for there to be a chance that a watch they sold you in location A returns for maintenance on the wrist of someone else at location B. In a world where every reason is good enough not to allocate watches to someone, I‘m not out to cross my AD. Besides, I don’t buy to resell or even to make money. If I let go of a watch it’s only when I trade up, which I typically address quite openly with them while purchasing whatever the funds are needed for.

This would only be to trade up, but potentially not with my AD

Old 26 December 2021, 08:53 AM   #12
77T

Does Rolex really track re-sales?

Quote:

If it was traded to another AD in same market country that it was originally purchased, then it’s possible the country distributor could track it.

For example, RUSA. Their intranet has data on all sorts of parameters.

But only for the purpose of distribution metrics and governance - not to track you as an individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 08:57 AM   #13
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Rolex HQ don’t care.

ADs do care, and if you’re caught it’ll be curtains for any other watches. Blacklisted etc. What’s the probability of that happening? Slim. But it could in multiple scenarios. For instance, just by chance your watch is resold and the new owner knows it was sold by WOS, they may go there with it if it has a problem “I know it was bought here and now I have this problem”. Get the picture?
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 09:03 AM   #14
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Rolex HQ don’t care.

ADs do care, and if you’re caught it’ll be curtains for any other watches. Blacklisted etc. What’s the probability of that happening? Slim. But it could in multiple scenarios. For instance, just by chance your watch is resold and the new owner knows it was sold by WOS, they may go there with it if it has a problem “I know it was bought here and now I have this problem”. Get the picture?

That’s why I have always traded in my Rolexes with that certain AD. The only problem is they were actually just bought by WoS… and my connection is now out.

Old 26 December 2021, 09:10 AM   #15
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
If Rolex doesn’t care, then why does the AD?
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 09:17 AM   #16
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
That’s why I have always traded in my Rolexes with that certain AD. The only problem is they were actually just bought by WoS… and my connection is now out.

Why would your connection be out? They bought the good will (you and other previous clients) when they bought the store. Why wouldn’t you enter the premises under new ownership and stake your historic claim to preference?
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 09:25 AM   #17
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I don’t think Rolex tracks it for reasons outside of sales metrics.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 09:45 AM   #18
dannyp
Banned

Rolex is probably only interested in tracking ADs who knowingly sell to serial flippers. For that purpose, there may be monitoring of online sales, to try and figure out instances where this is happening, but the ultimate reckoning will be between Rolex and the selling dealer.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 09:53 AM   #19
stap
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 126600
This is anecdotal so take it or leave it: I’ve been told by two separate and unrelated ADs that Rolex will track secondary market purchases in an effort to reduce flipping. They will buy watches themselves and penalize dealers who sell a watch that gets flipped. Further, both told me that if a person is caught flipping, they will be blacklisted and not sold another watch.

Again, totally anecdotal. Perhaps it’s true, perhaps it’s a clever scare tactic implemented by ADs.
stap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 09:57 AM   #20
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

As a courtesy, I'd always give the original AD the opportunity to trade (assuming you're going for an in-production watch). Depending on the watches, the AD, too, may consider it an "up" trade: For example, come in with a 2020 Pepsi offering an even swap for a brand new Daytona. Instead of having to sell that Daytona at MSRP, s/he has just traded it for a watch that can be sold for $25,000.
Old 26 December 2021, 12:39 PM   #21
iambarney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stap View Post
This is anecdotal so take it or leave it: I’ve been told by two separate and unrelated ADs that Rolex will track secondary market purchases in an effort to reduce flipping.
Not saying you're wrong, but what does Rolex benefit from this? With or without flipping, this doesn't change their (artificially) constrained production of watches and empty boutique displays.
iambarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 01:33 PM   #22
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

My AD took a lot of heat because a customer pawned a BLRO and the pawn shop posted it online with a pic of the warranty card with the AD name and the serial - almost lost their AD status.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 01:36 PM   #23
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
Rolex cares not. Some of the AD's with control issues do.

Trade, sell do what you want its your watch. smh.
You are right and then you are right again!
Old 26 December 2021, 01:38 PM   #24
stap
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambarney View Post
Not saying you're wrong, but what does Rolex benefit from this? With or without flipping, this doesn't change their (artificially) constrained production of watches and empty boutique displays.

Agree that the watches are being sold either way. But, with less flipping, maybe more people would be able to acquire watches. Perhaps the perception of the brand improves among those disaffected by the current environment.

Again, not agreeing or disagreeing with what the ADs said as I don’t know whether it’s true or not.
stap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 01:39 PM   #25
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalifam View Post
Rolex don't give a dog's arse what you do with your watch.
The AD cares and upper management care, they say it's Rolex. Nonsense.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Rolex dgaf.

Wow, some do try to bring TRF down to their own classless level.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 01:43 PM   #26
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
rolex dgaf.
+1
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 02:09 PM   #27
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambarney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
My AD took a lot of heat because a customer pawned a BLRO and the pawn shop posted it online with a pic of the warranty card with the AD name and the serial - almost lost their AD status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stap View Post
Agree that the watches are being sold either way. But, with less flipping, maybe more people would be able to acquire watches. Perhaps the perception of the brand improves among those disaffected by the current environment.

Again, not agreeing or disagreeing with what the ADs said as I don’t know whether it’s true or not.
Rolex wants control over the distribution of its products from the moment they're produced until the moment they're on an owner's wrist. If the standard becomes Rolex SA sends to country-level distributors sell to ADs sell to secondary market sellers (via flippers) sell to consumers, Rolex has lost that control. Rolex has a vested interest in maintaining that control, and the mechanism for doing so is keeping its dealer network playing by its rules.
Old 26 December 2021, 02:14 PM   #28
ks58
Banned

I think it matters and most ADs don't want flippers to do business with. Watches are meant to be bought and worn and enjoyed, not just resold right off the bat.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 03:01 PM   #29
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
I believe Rolex cares. This current flipping craze cannot be good for the Rolex in the long term as a business model. Rolex doesn’t want to be associated with a side hustle image that will tarnish their brand. I believe Rolex truly wants their watches to go to the watch lovers and enthusiasts first and foremost. This philosophy is one of the reasons Rolex has been such a great brand for so long. There are too many stories about ADs being sanctioned for selling to flippers as well that illustrate their desire to do what they can.
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 03:55 PM   #30
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I do remember a couple of stories like that when the BLRO was launched.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote