The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 28 January 2022, 05:46 AM   #1
PugetSounder
"TRF" Member

Two New LE - SLGH009 & SLGA013

Two new GS LE releases. The SLGH 009 has a blue dial in a 44GS/9SA5. The SLGA 013 has a dark gray dial in the 44GS/9RA2 Both come in Ever Brilliant Steel and 550 of each produced.

I'm unaware if this type of stainless steel is a new type of material for GS. According to the description on the GS Boutique website, "Ever-Brilliant Steel is a type of stainless steel that features greater corrosion resistance than what is generally used in watches today. It also has a brilliant white hue that enhances the beauty of the watch.
PugetSounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 06:32 AM   #2
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Nine whole days since their last LE release

Good looking watches
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 06:56 AM   #3
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Nice dials but with all the LE releases if these will actually sit a bit.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 07:10 AM   #4
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Milgauss, anyone?
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 09:32 AM   #5
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I absolutely love the Spring Drive model. The dial color and texture with gold bits plus that case is so nice!

If it didn’t have the “5 DAYS” text, I might have seriously started to rethink my collection to make it possible.

Phew, that was a close one.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 09:48 AM   #6
"TRF" Member

These watches are the first iteration of the new spring drive and 9SA5 high beat movement in the 44GS case ( a very popular case). The dials are have only been used on the precious metal watches previously and most likely will be retired after this run. Also, I think these are the first watches in full Ever brilliant steel. With only 550 pieces each, (worldwide), my contact at Grand Seiko says they will be one of the most sought after of all the GS releases . I also feel that way.
6120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 10:53 AM   #7
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Well, have to say, GS has worked their way up the pricing ladder… these now cost the same or more than most of the Rolex prof line (In SS).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 12:22 PM   #8
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Love gs but the new releases every week are a bit much. Dilutes the brand imo. I am not a fan of that new steel.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 12:28 PM   #9
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
These are nice but they don’t really stand out to me. I really wish GS would get even crazier and colorful with their dials. They do so many damn releases I’d love to see Orange/Yellow/Purple colored dials just to mix things up.
FrugalGreubel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 12:43 PM   #10
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I wonder if it's anything like the Hardened Stainless Steel (HSS) they used for some GS in the early 1970s. That stuff still looks new today. Here's my old 6186-8010 from 1972 with HSS, faceted sapphire crystal and double quickset day-date...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5017.JPG (206.2 KB, 541 views)
File Type: jpeg Untitled copy.jpeg (228.7 KB, 538 views)
Old 28 January 2022, 10:21 PM   #11
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great looking watches. A sea of new releases and options makes buying difficult for me. I will continue to wait and see what comes out next week.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 01:34 AM   #12
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
At this price point I want easy/micro-adjustment on the bracelets.
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 01:59 AM   #13
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdev View Post

I guess you’re also not in the market for a Nautilus or Royal Oak. ;-)
Old 30 January 2022, 02:57 AM   #14
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

The choice of steel is very interesting. It’s supposedly the most “pit resistant” steel in any watch. Supposedly much whiter and brighter. It was first used in the 62MAS re-issue.

This is a nice release and it’s great they’ve managed to scale back the thickness of the 44GS. But, they’ve now broken the $10k mark. That’s a serious move.

GS has long been championed by its fans as being a better and cheaper alternative to Rolex. They’re now in an odd territory with this pricing. Good luck to them. I still think the GS sweet spot for new stuff is the $5-6k mark (the seasons 62GS being some of the best things they’ve done in recent times).
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 03:08 AM   #15
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Great looking watches. A sea of new releases and options makes buying difficult for me. I will continue to wait and see what comes out next week.
This exactly what happens to brands who can't control themselves in regards of proliferation of references.

This is a broken record in the luxury watch industry.

1) Brand gains traction and becomes popular.

2) Management sees this as an opportunity to capitalize on the increased popularity by making more and more and more and more references. People WANT it, so let's make MORE! Let's open more AD and more company stores. MORE MORE MORE

3) Raise prices! We're popular now, so we can charge way more money with each iteration and maximize profitability.

The Cumulative result of this? Ask Panerai, Breitling...etc

Long term this is not a great strategy for the brand. History has proven that time and time again. Make too may references at too high of a retail price and people will lose interest instead of gain FOMO.

Full disclosure, I have 6 GS references and I really like them, so I'm no brand basher, but this overproduction is going to be problematic for the brand rather than beneficial.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 04:37 AM   #16
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
This exactly what happens to brands who can't control themselves in regards of proliferation of references.

This is a broken record in the luxury watch industry.

1) Brand gains traction and becomes popular.

2) Management sees this as an opportunity to capitalize on the increased popularity by making more and more and more and more references. People WANT it, so let's make MORE! Let's open more AD and more company stores. MORE MORE MORE

3) Raise prices! We're popular now, so we can charge way more money with each iteration and maximize profitability.

The Cumulative result of this? Ask Panerai, Breitling...etc

Long term this is not a great strategy for the brand. History has proven that time and time again. Make too may references at too high of a retail price and people will lose interest instead of gain FOMO.

Full disclosure, I have 6 GS references and I really like them, so I'm no brand basher, but this overproduction is going to be problematic for the brand rather than beneficial.

I knew it was only a matter of hours/days before this post was coming. Each new release. A Fleetlord post about too many watches/choices.

I guess GS shouldn’t innovate with new movements. And if they do create a new movement family, they surely should not release it. And if they do release it, do not create a whopping 4-5 dial colors. And if they do create a few dials, don’t space them out over a few months to give them each a moment.

Instead, every decision should be about maximizing hype/rarity/FOMO/grey dealer pricing.

Those watch executives could learn so much from internet posts.
Old 30 January 2022, 05:26 AM   #17
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I knew it was only a matter of hours/days before this post was coming. Each new release. A Fleetlord post about too many watches/choices.

I guess GS shouldn’t innovate with new movements. And if they do create a new movement family, they surely should not release it. And if they do release it, do not create a whopping 4-5 dial colors. And if they do create a few dials, don’t space them out over a few months to give them each a moment.

Instead, every decision should be about maximizing hype/rarity/FOMO/grey dealer pricing.

Those watch executives could learn so much from internet posts.

I know I'm hard on GS, but look at the rest of this thread. Most of the other comments remarked about "another" GS Release and pricing getting high...so it's not just me...

The best example was the statement in a prior post I was directly responding to.

A sea of new releases and options makes buying difficult for me.

THIS is the voice of the market. This is what the brands need to listen to.

It's a fun and contrarian viewpoint to see the FOMO, HYPE, GREY angles as villains, but the fundamentals of those angles lie in correct marketing (4 P's) of products....which also solves the buying concerns of the poster in this thread...funny how that all comes together isn't it.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 05:43 AM   #18
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
I know I'm hard on GS, but look at the rest of this thread. Most of the other comments remarked about "another" GS Release and pricing getting high...so it's not just me...

The best example was the statement in a prior post I was directly responding to.

True. I had a very tiny, fleeting sense of remorse that I did not put a deposit on the Lake Suwa SLGA007. Deal-breaker for me was the bracelet and awkward lug length (22mm with virtually no taper). BUT, I almost got baited by the "Limited edition" ploy. Now it's quite obvious that there's always another LE around the corner, so who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdev View Post
100%. Or, if they produced a more substantial clasp that correctly counter-balances the top of the watch, so that it doesn't swing around erratically on the wrist when the bracelet is worn loose. That, plus add tapering to the bracelet.
Old 30 January 2022, 05:53 AM   #19
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I guess you’re also not in the market for a Nautilus or Royal Oak. ;-)
The reason that nobody complains about lack of easy-adjustment on the Nautilus and AP RO is that the deployant portion of the clasp is longer, which better balances with the watch head and restricts rotation on the wrist if the watch is worn loose. Therefore you can set the watch a little loose and you still have some stability in the wearing experiences.

With GS, the deployant component of the flip-clasp is so small, that it does not balance the watch head. My SBGN005 has literally flipped around on my wrist before. None of my other watches do this when I put them on a little loose. The ubiquitous solution is to put the GS on a strap.
Old 30 January 2022, 08:18 AM   #20
Cru Jones

Quote:

It's a fun and contrarian viewpoint to see the FOMO, HYPE, GREY angles as villains, but the fundamentals of those angles lie in correct marketing (4 P's) of products....which also solves the buying concerns of the poster in this thread...funny how that all comes together isn't it.

That may be the voice of enthusiasts who buy many watches, but I think the “market” appreciates choice and good watches. Just my opinion.

Old 30 January 2022, 08:24 AM   #21
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
The reason that nobody complains about lack of easy-adjustment on the Nautilus and AP RO is that the deployant portion of the clasp is longer, which better balances with the watch head and restricts rotation on the wrist if the watch is worn loose. Therefore you can set the watch a little loose and you still have some stability in the wearing experiences.

With GS, the deployant component of the flip-clasp is so small, that it does not balance the watch head. My SBGN005 has literally flipped around on my wrist before. None of my other watches do this when I put them on a little loose. The ubiquitous solution is to put the GS on a strap.

I don’t think that’s it. I think the usual complainers are those who compare GS to Rolex and think that GS not having micro adjust necessarily makes them inferior.

I personally think they are just different. Furthermore, I think on a non-diver, there are positive arguments to be made for svelte clasps that blend with the bracelet. I mean, a DJ clasp, while functional, isn’t attractive (IMHO).

Maybe I’m just lucky with mine. It’s a perfect fit. Then again, I almost never touch my glidelock clasp, either.
Old 30 January 2022, 10:02 AM   #22
Mike507
"TRF" Member

I just wish they'd at least close the gaps up between the case and the bracelet. Even if it's just for the advertising photos lol. It makes it look so cheap
Mike507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 02:13 PM   #23
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Does any member own a Seiko with the new steel? Would love to see pics and here a brief review on the steel…
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 10:23 PM   #24
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6120 View Post
These watches are the first iteration of the new spring drive and 9SA5 high beat movement in the 44GS case ( a very popular case). The dials are have only been used on the precious metal watches previously and most likely will be retired after this run. Also, I think these are the first watches in full Ever brilliant steel. With only 550 pieces each, (worldwide), my contact at Grand Seiko says they will be one of the most sought after of all the GS releases . I also feel that way.

Does your contact at GS (boutique? Regional HQ?) also say that these dials will be retired after this run?

BTW I saw the nickname for these two - „ORBIT”, although I think that „WOOD” would be a more suitable nick.
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2022, 08:32 AM   #25
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
Does your contact at GS (boutique? Regional HQ?) also say that these dials will be retired after this run?

BTW I saw the nickname for these two - „ORBIT”, although I think that „WOOD” would be a more suitable nick.
Yes, I was told these dials would be retired after this run, from Grand Seiko corporate.
6120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2022, 08:59 AM   #26
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6120 View Post
Yes, I was told these dials would be retired after this run, from Grand Seiko corporate.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Any more interesting info you’d like to share with us?
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 03:35 AM   #27
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Would like to see one real life picture where the dial isn’t so dark. What’s the point of having the wood grain dial if you can’t see it?
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 05:16 AM   #28
loganhunter2009
"TRF" Member

I'm still waiting for a new diver watch with the 9RA2 movement with the power reserve in the back. When is GS going to deliver one?
loganhunter2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 08:16 AM   #29
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Would like to see one real life picture where the dial isn’t so dark. What’s the point of having the wood grain dial if you can’t see it?
I’m with you on this. I find it so odd how bad Grand Seiko is when it comes to press photos. The dials always look so different than the images they release and it makes purchasing decisions that much harder for a lot of people.
FrugalGreubel is online now   Reply With Quote