The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 September 2021, 01:41 PM   #1
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Not making this up

So I went shopping for some clothes today. There was extremely nice, enthusiastic young guy, very early 20’s, helping me in one of the stores. I was wearing the Hulk and he says “OMG bro! Look at your time piece!” I said “Yeah it’s a discontinued Rolex”. He says “I know dude it’s the Hulk”. I said yeah.

Then he just yells out “Box and papers bro!” I was a little surprised cuz we weren’t really discussing boxes and papers. He then continued on to say “wow man box and papers!” Like several more times.

We talked more and he seemed really interested in watches but not really Rolexes Because of cost and his style was very unique, punky, artsy type. He kind of had a Harry Styles thing going on. As a matter of fact he asked me if I wanted to try on a garment from the women’s section cuz you know that’s cool now. I politely declined. Anyway then he wanted help picking out his first mechanical watch. He explained to me that he is extremely interested in the old technology and the mechanics of watches. He’s been researching for like a year but cannot afford anything that he likes. I showed him some stuff like the new Tissot PRX automatic. I personally think it’s a lot of watch for 650.00. Your getting 70s retro styling, integrated bracelet, visible movement, Swiss made. Well, I think he liked it cuz he yelled out again “Box and papers bro!”

Anyway, I got some nice clothes and helped a fellow watch connosuer. I waved goodbye to my new friend and left with a better understanding of why there are no watches left to buy.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:47 PM   #2
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Sounds horrific. Ugh.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:50 PM   #3
ABrolex
"TRF" Member

"Hey man try on this womens dress"
ABrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:52 PM   #4
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

The need and want for ROLEX is INTENSE
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:53 PM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I said “Yeah it’s a discontinued Rolex”

You did?
Old 30 September 2021, 01:54 PM   #6
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrolex View Post
"Hey man try on this womens dress"
It wasn’t quite that bad. I asked if they had any denim, western style shirts and he said yeah we have one but it’s in the women’s section. After I left there I found one at Tom Ford, in the men’s section too!
Old 30 September 2021, 02:02 PM   #7
Couchpotato
"TRF" Member

So, did you get your Hulk with box and papers?
Couchpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:04 PM   #8
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Why add the “discontinued”? Or “Rolex” part for that matter?
JonaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:04 PM   #9
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
So, did you get your Hulk with box and papers?
I guess. I got the box and warranty card.
Old 30 September 2021, 02:09 PM   #10
mastermixer
"TRF" Member

Reminds me of the story of when I saw Ryan Gosling at a grocery store in Los Angeles . I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Old 30 September 2021, 02:11 PM   #11
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
Reminds me of the story of when I saw Ryan Gosling at a grocery store in Los Angeles . I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
Wow. That’s an amazing story. So he was a jerk but it was entertaining so it was kind of cool.
Old 30 September 2021, 02:17 PM   #12
mastermixer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
Wow. That’s an amazing story. So he was a jerk but it was entertaining so it was kind of cool.
haha yea its is fake story actually that I saw somewhere else online but it reminded me of your story and I just thought it was funny.
Old 30 September 2021, 02:20 PM   #13
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
haha yea its is fake story actually that I saw somewhere else online but it reminded me of your story and I just thought it was funny.
Did you type it or copy and paste?
Old 30 September 2021, 02:26 PM   #14
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Going forward, for all future incomings…. “Congratulations” and “Wear it in good health” shall be replaced with “BOX AND PAPERS BRO!!!!
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:26 PM   #15
shakeb0x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So I went shopping for some clothes today. There was extremely nice, enthusiastic young guy, very early 20’s, helping me in one of the stores. I was wearing the Hulk and he says “OMG bro! Look at your time piece!” I said “Yeah it’s a discontinued Rolex”. He says “I know dude it’s the Hulk”. I said yeah.

Then he just yells out “Box and papers bro!” I was a little surprised cuz we weren’t really discussing boxes and papers. He then continued on to say “wow man box and papers!” Like several more times.

We talked more and he seemed really interested in watches but not really Rolexes Because of cost and his style was very unique, punky, artsy type. He kind of had a Harry Styles thing going on. As a matter of fact he asked me if I wanted to try on a garment from the women’s section cuz you know that’s cool now. I politely declined. Anyway then he wanted help picking out his first mechanical watch. He explained to me that he is extremely interested in the old technology and the mechanics of watches. He’s been researching for like a year but cannot afford anything that he likes. I showed him some stuff like the new Tissot PRX automatic. I personally think it’s a lot of watch for 650.00. Your getting 70s retro styling, integrated bracelet, visible movement, Swiss made. Well, I think he liked it cuz he yelled out again “Box and papers bro!”

Anyway, I got some nice clothes and helped a fellow watch connosuer. I waved goodbye to my new friend and left with a better understanding of why there are no watches left to buy.
Curious, what garment from the womens section and why yelling out box and papers? lol
Old 30 September 2021, 02:29 PM   #16
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeb0x View Post
Curious, what garment from the womens section and why yelling out box and papers? lol
I asked about denim shirts with a western style like snaps and stuff. He says “well we have one in the women’s department. More guys are...” I politely declined.

Box and papers? I have no idea where that came from.
Old 30 September 2021, 02:31 PM   #17
shakeb0x
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I asked about denim shirts with a western style like snaps and stuff. He says “well we have one in the women’s department. More guys are...” I politely declined.

Box and papers? I have no idea where that came from.
cool story, thanks for sharing. wearing the hulk definitely gets the attention. i once had a person tell me, "thats a hulk! its green like money!"
Old 30 September 2021, 02:31 PM   #18
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeb0x View Post
I hate it when I go to buy my XXXL Hanes briefs and the guy at Kohl’s keeps trying to sell me those nude thong things while asking if it’s polished or not.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:35 PM   #19
Couchpotato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Going forward, for all future incomings…. “Congratulations” and “Wear it in good health” shall be replaced with “BOX AND PAPERS BRO!!!!
+1
Couchpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:59 PM   #20
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I said “Yeah it’s a discontinued Rolex”

You did?
That's what I was thinking. Sounds like a two people that needed to be talking to one another
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 03:09 PM   #21
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Pictures of box and papers or it didn't happen
2loaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 03:15 PM   #22
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
That's what I was thinking. Sounds like a two people that needed to be talking to one another
Yes, like that time I saw you speaking to Larry the Cable guy. I thought the same thing.
Old 30 September 2021, 03:16 PM   #23
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Previously while furiously making love to my wife she yelled out “BOX AND PAPERS BRO.” Initially I was taken aback but now I am relieved to know that it apparently means “well done” or “good Job” or something equally affirming. Also I’m pleased to know that I won’t have to punch our new pool boy whose name is Bro.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 03:27 PM   #24
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Previously while furiously making love to my wife she yelled out “BOX AND PAPERS BRO.” Initially I was taken aback but now I am relieved to know that it apparently means “well done” or “good Job” or something equally affirming. Also I’m pleased to know that I won’t have to punch our new pool boy whose name is Bro.
Good one!
Old 30 September 2021, 03:32 PM   #25
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Watch friend
Halifax Daytona UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 03:37 PM   #26
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
This thread is a crack-up.
I'm seeing the interaction with the sales assistant in my head. Funny!

"There we were, jumping up and down on the Group W Bench yelling "Kill!, Kill!"

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 03:41 PM   #27
TudorTommy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
This thread is a crack-up.
I'm seeing the interaction with the sales assistant in my head. Funny!

"There we were, jumping up and down on the Group W Bench yelling "Kill!, Kill!"
Alice's Restaurant! Read that comment and laughed out loud. Very entertaining thread so far
TudorTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 03:55 PM   #28
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Sounds like "box and papers bro" is the equivalent of the old "88 Miles per hour"
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 04:33 PM   #29
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
While I was reading this I though of this guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Box and papers bro.jpg (56.9 KB, 6527 views)
Reinhard in SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 05:32 PM   #30
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
Why add the “discontinued”? Or “Rolex” part for that matter?
I was wondering that myself actually.

I recently had a similar event (no women's clothing involved) where I was in a retail environment and the young male cashier I would say 19 or 20 noticed my Explorer 214270. He asked me what Rolex it was...I then told him it was a recently discontinue 39mm. He then asked me how much I paid and if I insured it.

So YES - the younger generation is even more aware of Rolex due to social media - don't think otherwise.