The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 October 2022, 06:00 AM   #1
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Premiums for 5513 Maxi Mk1 and Mk3?

Seems Mk1 and Mk3 always carry a noticeable premium relative to Mk2, Mk4 and Mk5s.

Has this always been the case?
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 10:28 AM   #2
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Yes - in my particular case, I just wanted the MK1 or the 3 as a second choice.
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 11:39 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It definitely has not ALWAYS been the case. I don't really remember maxi-mania going back much more than 5 years or so. It will pass and something else will be trendy. I suggest really being honest with yourself about what appeals to you, and try not to be too influenced by influencers.
Old 16 October 2022, 11:56 AM   #4
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
It definitely has not ALWAYS been the case. I don't really remember maxi-mania going back much more than 5 years or so. It will pass and something else will be trendy. I suggest really being honest with yourself about what appeals to you, and try not to be too influenced by influencers.
Of course Dan is spot on.

I just felt (feel) in awe with the whiter plots and the Zubmariner under the depth rating.

Look at many many Subs and pick the one you love. I did!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2022.09.17 5513.jpg (268.8 KB, 200 views)
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 11:14 PM   #5
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Vintage Rolex variants are to me like cells...they seem to split and multiply all the time!

Back in the early 80s there were just Gloss and Matte Subs at auctions I attended...

This splitting is collector driven to elicit more interest and value and you can't blame collectors (and dealers) for doing it, but its often quite a leap of imagination!

Even 10 years ago it was just Sub ft first or mtrs first (20% premium) for matte dials, and now we've these many subdivisions on collectability and value.

Some are frankly incomprehensible to me.... but once they are ingrained, they tend to stick I've noted - eg 16550 cream premium, 2003-2006 16610 lv bezel values differences!, 16760 MK1 and MK2 value differences (unheard of 3 yrs ago), 1655 straight hand and later trit-blob hand different values etc etc all those were minimal difference a decade or so ago !

The REALLY big one that most are only beginning to realise I feel is that of the 'Tritium v Luminova premium'...it will be truly massive in 25 - 20 yrs on say the same model, purely because of supply and demand and our desire to have the rarest and most 'vintagey' (if that's a word) piece tucked away or for a g.t.g.
And hope that we will never see the truth around
Uprising - MUSE
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 12:01 AM   #6
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Vintage Rolex variants are to me like cells...they seem to split and multiply all the time!

Back in the early 80s there were just Gloss and Matte Subs at auctions I attended...

This splitting is collector driven to elicit more interest and value and you can't blame collectors (and dealers) for doing it, but its often quite a leap of imagination!

Even 10 years ago it was just Sub ft first or mtrs first (20% premium) for matte dials, and now we've these many subdivisions on collectability and value.

Some are frankly incomprehensible to me.... but once they are ingrained, they tend to stick I've noted - eg 16550 cream premium, 2003-2006 16610 lv bezel values differences!, 16760 MK1 and MK2 value differences (unheard of 3 yrs ago), 1655 straight hand and later trit-blob hand different values etc etc all those were minimal difference a decade or so ago !

The REALLY big one that most are only beginning to realise I feel is that of the 'Tritium v Luminova premium'...it will be truly massive in 25 - 20 yrs on say the same model, purely because of supply and demand and our desire to have the rarest and most 'vintagey' (if that's a word) piece tucked away or for a g.t.g.
Spot on.
Old 17 October 2022, 01:00 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
TuRo and Dan S pretty well summed it up. No matter what you collect, variations are what drives the collector and hobby for any particular collectable.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 01:12 AM   #8
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Maxi mania actually makes sense to me, unlike some hyped versions of vintage sports Rolexes. Maxi Subs are visually more striking with their bigger plots, and look cooler to a lot of collectors, myself included. Same goes for red Subs and Big Red Daytonas. That splash of red on the dial makes a difference.

The hype of other minor variations, like rail dials or meters-first dials, have always baffled me because they don't make much of a visual difference in the overall look of the watch.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 07:17 AM   #9
eton97
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD, 1675, 5167a
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Maxi mania actually makes sense to me, unlike some hyped versions of vintage sports Rolexes. Maxi Subs are visually more striking with their bigger plots, and look cooler to a lot of collectors, myself included. Same goes for red Subs and Big Red Daytonas. That splash of red on the dial makes a difference.

The hype of other minor variations, like rail dials or meters-first dials, have always baffled me because they don't make much of a visual difference in the overall look of the watch.
100% agree. I see no bigger lume plots than on my maxi mk1. And this has a striking visual impact. For me the premium is worth it. Especially vs rial dials and meters first dials.
eton97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 11:07 PM   #10
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eton97 View Post
100% agree. I see no bigger lume plots than on my maxi mk1. And this has a striking visual impact. For me the premium is worth it. Especially vs rial dials and meters first dials.
Are the lume plots confirmed to be the largest on the Mk1? I understand the uniqueness of the Mk1 (including Submariner below the depth rating), and I understand the appeal of the Mk3 “lollipop” at 5 minute markers. Just wasn’t aware if lume on one was larger than the other.

5513mattedial.com being an excellent reference.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote