The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 15 November 2023, 08:11 AM   #1
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

15550 on 7 inch wrist

Hey guys. Looking for some advice here. I’ve done a lot of research. It appears the royal oak in general wears larger than the size it corresponds with.

I have a 7 inch wrist. Would I attempt the 37mm under the premise that it wears like a 39mm or should I go after the 41mm even though many say it wears like a 43mm.

My sweet spot tends to be 39-40. I wish I could try these on but impossible for me. I’d have to go sight unseen.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 08:27 AM   #2
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

37mm would work for you, but more a classic look with your wrist size.

You should really try on both, as it comes down to what kind of look you’re going for. Try a grey or AP boutique if you’re near. For reference, 41mm RO wears slightly larger than 41mm DJ on my flat 6.5” wrist.
Old 15 November 2023, 10:06 AM   #3
matthew P
"TRF" Member

Seven inch wrist ….. 15550

..Explorer & Spring Diver - I’m just here for the photos..
matthew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 10:07 AM   #4
matthew P
"TRF" Member

Old 15 November 2023, 10:13 AM   #5
matthew P
"TRF" Member

41mm

Old 15 November 2023, 11:15 AM   #6
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I presume you are going grey. In which scenario I’d also consider 15300. I have a smaller wrist, less than 6.3, and I love my 15300 and 15202. These two wear differently but hit the sweet spot for me.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 12:09 PM   #7
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I presume you are going grey. In which scenario I’d also consider 15300. I have a smaller wrist, less than 6.3, and I love my 15300 and 15202. These two wear differently but hit the sweet spot for me.
This is a good recommendation, I was thinking the same. Since the 15300 is 39mm, it hits the sweet spot…plus it looks to be better priced than the other two options OP is considering.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 12:36 PM   #8
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
15300 is best option
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 12:37 PM   #9
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

15550 on 7 inch wrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew P View Post

Matthew, which size did you prefer?? What were your thoughts on the 37mm size in general?

Old 15 November 2023, 12:39 PM   #10
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post

Correct on grey. I absolutely love the aesthetics of the 15550. I will look into the 15300 however on your recommendation.

Old 15 November 2023, 12:41 PM   #11
Gent675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
Hey guys. Looking for some advice here. I’ve done a lot of research. It appears the royal oak in general wears larger than the size it corresponds with.

I have a 7 inch wrist. Would I attempt the 37mm under the premise that it wears like a 39mm or should I go after the 41mm even though many say it wears like a 43mm.

My sweet spot tends to be 39-40. I wish I could try these on but impossible for me. I’d have to go sight unseen.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you guys.

Great username OP.
Gent675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 12:41 PM   #12
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

on a 7 inch wrist it might look small tbh, depending on what you're used to. it will wear like a steel daytona if that helps

15300 would probably be a perfect fit but it's gonna be a bit hard to find

here's a good thread https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=747852
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 02:01 PM   #13
Notimetodie
"TRF" Member

15510 is the way to go for 7inch wrist imo. The biggest issue I have with 15550 is the relatively small size of the face of the watch. I have a 6.5inch wrist and 15500 is perfect.
Notimetodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 02:37 PM   #14
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Too small, for my taste.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 03:38 PM   #15
matthew P
"TRF" Member

15550 on 7 inch wrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
Matthew, which size did you prefer?? What were your thoughts on the 37mm size in general?

Photography can really manipulate perception.

The first photo is a wider lens / wearer perspective , which is how I see a watch on my own wrist. ( and FWIW I’m a fan of smaller watches like the modern 36mm explorer that I wear as a daily )

The second photo is a mirror reflection …..
ie how others see the watch on my wrist.

The third and forth are longer lens cropped close ups that still manage to distort there relative size based on their position on wrist and “look” with the bracelet not closed.

I’m of the opinion that on a 7 inch wrist both sizes work.
The 41 mm look more sporty , has more presence and presents as mostly dial.
The 37mm feels smaller and dressier , the dial opening is a lot smaller and the grey dial looks best to me because it blends into the case and adds visual mass

I personally find the 41mm too large , too “all dial” and I don’t like the way the bracelet is barely seen.
I much prefer the smaller 37mm 15550…… but I’m used to wearing a 36mm explorer so I’m accustomed to the comfort and look that wearing a watch on the small end of your range can offer.

If I get the call next year I hope to add the 15550 to my collection while keeping my 44mm GS diver and 36mm Explorer as my two other daily pieces.

Looking at the forum I suspect I’m in the minority but after wearing a 39mm MKII explorer for years I never got comfortable with the all dial feel….. and the 41mm RO has the same feel for me….. lovely watch but just more dial than I want to wear.

But here’s a mirror shot of the 41 ( unsized bracelet ) that most people , including me , will think looks perfect

..Explorer & Spring Diver - I’m just here for the photos.. pop
Old 15 November 2023, 03:53 PM   #16
matthew P
"TRF" Member

15550 on 7 inch wrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
on a 7 inch wrist it might look small tbh, depending on what you're used to. it will wear like a steel daytona if that helps

15300 would probably be a perfect fit but it's gonna be a bit hard to find

here's a good thread https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=747852

Thx for posting that thread.
Somehow I hadn’t read it .

I tried on a 15450 ( previous 37mm model ) about 4 years ago when I was wearing my MKII 39mm explorer as a daily.
The 15450 instantly felt too small, I didn’t even take any photos as I remember thinking “no interest “ at the time.
The 41mm ( 15500?) felt too large ( like my MKII was feeling ) and the jumbo was perfect.

I have to admit I was very surprised when I recently visited an AP house and was able to try on the 37mm…..
I expected it to feel too small ( the blue dial did seem too small ) but the grey dial felt good.

I suspected that I was just being influenced by the AP house experience but I want in 6 weeks later and tried on the 37mm and 41mm again and I have a strong preference for the newest 15550 in grey.

I’d be very curious to try on another 15450….. a light dial like the one in that thread would probably present larger as well.
I suspect the 15450 that I tried on years ago had a dark ( blue?) dial.

Old 15 November 2023, 04:10 PM   #17
SylvainDXB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex and more
You also need to take the tapering of the bracelet into account. While my 15450 feels OK when I look at my wrist, I'm really bothered by the the size of the bracelet at the clasp, feels really really small. Recently got a 41 ROC which now makes the tapering of the 37mm more obvious.
SylvainDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 04:38 PM   #18
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
On 7inch wrist. 20231102_174010.jpg20231102_173454.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Old 15 November 2023, 10:50 PM   #19
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thx for posting that thread.
Somehow I hadn’t read it .

I tried on a 15450 ( previous 37mm model ) about 4 years ago when I was wearing my MKII 39mm explorer as a daily.
The 15450 instantly felt too small, I didn’t even take any photos as I remember thinking “no interest “ at the time.
The 41mm ( 15500?) felt too large ( like my MKII was feeling ) and the jumbo was perfect.

I have to admit I was very surprised when I recently visited an AP house and was able to try on the 37mm…..
I expected it to feel too small ( the blue dial did seem too small ) but the grey dial felt good.

I suspected that I was just being influenced by the AP house experience but I want in 6 weeks later and tried on the 37mm and 41mm again and I have a strong preference for the newest 15550 in grey.

I’d be very curious to try on another 15450….. a light dial like the one in that thread would probably present larger as well.
I suspect the 15450 that I tried on years ago had a dark ( blue?) dial.

dials do make a difference and i think since the grey dial kind of makes everything blend into 1 uniform look it might make it wear a bit better than a dark color that shrinks the dial down

for what it's worth i think the 37 looks good on you and if you posted the photo of the 41 without context i'd actually think it was a 37 on your wrist too lol. i personally prefer the smaller aesthetic and with ROs and datejusts/daydates the bracelet is the highlight of the watch anyway
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 01:38 AM   #20
matthew P
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvainDXB View Post
You also need to take the tapering of the bracelet into account. While my 15450 feels OK when I look at my wrist, I'm really bothered by the the size of the bracelet at the clasp, feels really really small. Recently got a 41 ROC which now makes the tapering of the 37mm more obvious.

Agree….. the bracelet taper does end up creating a smaller clasp than many larger contemporary sport watches.

Here’s a photo of the 15550 clasp next to the latest 36mm explorer which also has a smaller bracelet width and a clasp that feels smaller than the 40mm Rolex sport watches come with.

FWIW I’m very used to wearing the explorer, it’s extremely comfortable and I agree the clasp is in the smaller size but it’s not an issue for me.

I suspect the 15550 would wear extremely comfortably as well and the bracelet width is slightly larger than the explorer so for me it’s a non issue.

I felt like the bracelet was appropriately sized for a smaller watch.
The question for a 7 inch wrist is “ do you want a larger sport watch / off shore type feel, or do you want a more smaller / classically sized watch.

I will say there is absolutely no substitute to spending extended time in a store with both models.

Old 16 November 2023, 01:49 AM   #21
matthew P
"TRF" Member

15550 on 7 inch wrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
dials do make a difference and i think since the grey dial kind of makes everything blend into 1 uniform look it might make it wear a bit better than a dark color that shrinks the dial down
Thanks , I’ve spent way too many years wearing larger watches that looked magnificent in other peoples arms and in photos but , when on my wrist felt a little too large ( mostly the dial ) .

My range is 36mm to 44mm but many 36mm watches look too small in the case or on my wrist.
If the watch is on a strap, has a dark dial or a substantial bezel ( reducing the dial width ) then I end up feeling like they are too small.

In the 15550 example the grey dial works for me but the blue always looks like the dial stands out more and seems smaller than I’d like ( dial does seem shrunk down).
I agree that the monotone nature of the grey dial 15550 allows it to wear / perceive to be larger than specs would suggest.

I suspect most people are more comfortable sizing up than down when they have the option.