The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2024, 08:44 AM   #1
DBS007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Scratch on Dial?

Hi to all!

I’ve picked up my first Rolex (from AD). What’s unlucky is I believe there is a scratch on the dial. What’s everyone’s opinion here? I brought it to RSC and they allegedly changed the crystal. The scratch remains and there is zero willingness to replace the dial. Does anyone have anything similar or dealt with something similar in the past? This is driving me crazy to the point where I question if I want the watch or not anymore. It’s one this to scratch the watch myself, which I’m ok with, it’s another to receive it damaged / inferior.

I’ve overlayed red boxes to highlight the area. The skinny rectangle is the “scratch” while the square box is an area of swirl marks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2681.jpeg (268.3 KB, 1196 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2679.jpeg (278.1 KB, 1189 views)
Attached Files
File Type: wmv IMG_2675.wmv (74.78 MB, 33 views)
DBS007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 08:47 AM   #2
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Those swirl marks are under the crystal?
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 08:55 AM   #3
Wrathchild
Banned

I see them however looks scratches on the AR coating on the crystal. Pretty sure the new subs have AR in the inside.
Are you sure RSC replaced it? You should see an “S” etched at 6 o’clock (instead of the crown… which is what you still have).
They didn’t replace the crystal man.
Not sure your story is accurate
Wrathchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 09:12 AM   #4
DBS007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
I see them however looks scratches on the AR coating on the crystal. Pretty sure the new subs have AR in the inside.
Are you sure RSC replaced it? You should see an “S” etched at 6 o’clock (instead of the crown… which is what you still have).
They didn’t replace the crystal man.
Not sure your story is accurate
Wow, this is great insight with respect to the “S”. The pictures I posted were before the service. I just checked the crystal and confirm that the crown is still there. There is no “S”.

Is there a chance they replace it with crystal with a crown still?
Old 13 January 2024, 09:31 AM   #5
maxGMT
"TRF" Member

Hi,
There have been a couple of threads discussing this, this one for example:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=692940
maxGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 09:58 AM   #6
Wrathchild
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBS007 View Post
Wow, this is great insight with respect to the “S”. The pictures I posted were before the service. I just checked the crystal and confirm that the crown is still there. There is no “S”.

Is there a chance they replace it with crystal with a crown still?
I am pretty sure whenever RSC replaces the crystal, the new crystal has an “S”
Etched at the in the crown’s base…. I am corrected. Look for the S

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=803063
Old 13 January 2024, 10:08 AM   #7
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Can you see it outside in natural light??? You can get weird double reflections with high lume flashlights.
Old 13 January 2024, 10:20 AM   #8
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
For clarification.

You bought it from an AD second hand?

You took it to a RSC for a replacement crystal?

The AD now won’t address the dial scratch?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 10:31 AM   #9
fly4food84
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN
I’d be upset if I paid for a service and asked for a fix and it came back with the same issue.
fly4food84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 10:33 AM   #10
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

S in the crown was going to be phased out according to this forum sometime back. It was reported that the crystals with S would be used until Rolex was out of them and then they would transition to non S crystal.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 12:15 PM   #11
DBS007
"TRF" Member

Thank you. This was helpful with respect to the swirl marks. It’s my first Rolex so naturally I expect the world, but understand the swirl marks might be normal in the polishing process. However, the pronounced scratch going upwards from the left side of the 7 hour indicator is driving me crazy.
Old 13 January 2024, 12:17 PM   #12
DBS007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Can you see it outside in natural light??? You can get weird double reflections with high lume flashlights.
I can unfortunately.
Old 13 January 2024, 12:20 PM   #13
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you. This was helpful with respect to the swirl marks. It’s my first Rolex so naturally I expect the world, but understand the swirl marks might be normal in the polishing process. However, the pronounced scratch going upwards from the left side of the 7 hour indicator is driving me crazy.
The swirl marks are not normal either and should be fixed, along with the scratched dial, under warranty. Don’t deal with the AD; contact RSC directly. If you have one locally, call them for an appointment and go there personally. They’ll usually have a watchmaker come out to discuss your concerns directly. They’re very nice and understanding, at least in my experience.
Old 13 January 2024, 12:21 PM   #14
DBS007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
For clarification.

You bought it from an AD second hand?

You took it to a RSC for a replacement crystal?

The AD now won’t address the dial scratch?
I bought it from the AD, yes, but not second hand. I brought it to the RSC with the belief that the scratches were on the dial. They denied everything and somehow didn’t see anything. They replaced the crystal as they suspected whatever I am seeing was in relation to the crystal. I got it back with the marks still there and no further cooperation on their end. They said they can replace the dial out of my pocket if I’d like, which is BS.

The AD sees what I am seeing and suspects the crystal as well. They are surprised it’s still there if the RSC supposedly replaced the crystal.

So I’m thinking the RSC didn’t replace the crystal (but said they did) or it’s genuinely on the dial and they refuse to be accountable for the defect.
Old 13 January 2024, 12:23 PM   #15
DBS007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
S in the crown was going to be phased out according to this forum sometime back. It was reported that the crystals with S would be used until Rolex was out of them and then they would transition to non S crystal.
If I’m understanding correctly then, given this was recently purchased, there would be no marking to indicate if the crystal was actually replaced or not? The same crown from the factory should be the same crown in the replacement?
Old 13 January 2024, 12:24 PM   #16
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I bought it from the AD, yes, but not second hand. I brought it to the RSC with the belief that the scratches were on the dial. They denied everything and somehow didn’t see anything. They replaced the crystal as they suspected whatever I am seeing was in relation to the crystal. I got it back with the marks still there and no further cooperation on their end. They said they can replace the dial out of my pocket if I’d like, which is BS.

The AD sees what I am seeing and suspects the crystal as well. They are surprised it’s still there if the RSC supposedly replaced the crystal.

So I’m thinking the RSC didn’t replace the crystal (but said they did) or it’s genuinely on the dial and they refuse to be accountable for the defect.
Yikes. I’m genuinely surprised to hear that coming from RSC. Try another RSC?
Old 13 January 2024, 12:25 PM   #17
DBS007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
The swirl marks are not normal either and should be fixed, along with the scratched dial, under warranty. Don’t deal with the AD; contact RSC directly. If you have one locally, call them for an appointment and go there personally. They’ll usually have a watchmaker come out to discuss your concerns directly. They’re very nice and understanding, at least in my experience.
I dealt with the RSC. I was polite and respectful the whole time. They on the other hand were dismissive, condescending, and alienating. It was perfect according to them, even prior to replacing the crystal.
Old 13 January 2024, 12:27 PM   #18
Car32
"TRF" Member

Which RSC did you go to?
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 12:38 PM   #19
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Sell the watch or return for restocking fee. You're going to bang it up trying to resolve this.
Old 13 January 2024, 02:42 PM   #20
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

This must be a warranty issue?

As has been said, check the crystal crown - it could have a service marking.

Then document the trail of events and take the matter up again with Rolex.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 03:07 PM   #21
Wrathchild
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car32 View Post
Which RSC did you go to?
Yep, I want the answer as well.
I just cannot believe an RSC would be that cold and uncooperative.
Old 13 January 2024, 05:40 PM   #22
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Keep fighting. No way should you accept a brand new Sub, with a scratch on the dial. That’s just ridiculous, given what we pay for these watches.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 06:16 PM   #23
DBS007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
Yep, I want the answer as well.
I just cannot believe an RSC would be that cold and uncooperative.
I’m beyond shocked as well. It was the biggest turn off in the world. I tried and tried and tried.

As for disclosing the RSC, I want to refrain for the time being. Given the feedback, I intend to call them next week and discuss the events that took place and a path forward. They may have an opportunity to salvage their reputation and I don’t want to tarnish it just yet. I don’t want 2 bad actors to represent the whole staff.

I shall keep everyone posted, but appreciate continued feedback and further comments from the community until then.
Old 13 January 2024, 07:00 PM   #24
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Hopefully if you speak with someone in charge they will understand your complaints and common sense would kick in from them and clearly make it right
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 07:05 PM   #25
maxGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m beyond shocked as well. It was the biggest turn off in the world. I tried and tried and tried.

As for disclosing the RSC, I want to refrain for the time being. Given the feedback, I intend to call them next week and discuss the events that took place and a path forward. They may have an opportunity to salvage their reputation and I don’t want to tarnish it just yet. I don’t want 2 bad actors to represent the whole staff.

I shall keep everyone posted, but appreciate continued feedback and further comments from the community until then.
I fully understand your frustration and question/concern, but please allow RSC the opportunity to explain the polishing process of the high gloss dial and why the marks you see you see under strong light are a result from these processes and not considered a flaw/defect by Rolex. The visibility of the marks vary between dials, but they are only visible under strong natural light and uv lighting.
I have personally spoken to both my AD Rolex watchmakers and the RSC in London who confirmed and explained the above.
Old 13 January 2024, 07:55 PM   #26
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

For the record Dallas trashed my 3 week old white Daytona 116500, misaligned the hands, and blamed me but refused to compare photographic evidence. Also voided my warranty while at it.

In my opinion you'd have to be crazy to trust some low quality technicians at that place.
Old 13 January 2024, 10:59 PM   #27
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
For the record Dallas trashed my 3 week old white Daytona 116500, misaligned the hands, and blamed me but refused to compare photographic evidence. Also voided my warranty while at it.

In my opinion you'd have to be crazy to trust some low quality technicians at that place.
How can the Rolex service center void your warranty?
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 11:04 PM   #28
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Scratch on Dial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJH1977 View Post
How can the Rolex service center void your warranty?

RSC claimed someone else had opened it which was not true. I peeled the stickers off the watch and louped it at 10x.

They didn't want to replace the dial as the QC defect that it was so they voided the warranty and charged me for the dial. Then wrecked the caseback and lugs and lied about it being that way.

I actually believed them over the seller at first until further communication revealed their deceit.
Old 13 January 2024, 11:44 PM   #29
maxGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
RSC claimed someone else had opened it which was not true. I peeled the stickers off the watch and louped it at 10x.

They didn't want to replace the dial as the QC defect that it was so they voided the warranty and charged me for the dial. Then wrecked the caseback and lugs and lied about it being that way.

I actually believed them over the seller at first until further communication revealed their deceit.
What was the claimed QC defect on the dial that RSC didn’t acknowledge?
Old 13 January 2024, 11:51 PM   #30
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Scratch on Dial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxGMT View Post
What was the claimed QC defekt on the dial that RSC didn’t acknowledge?

The "claimed QC defect" was missing outer track ink.

Under loupe you could see the ink didn't stick and was dragged to the next marker. There was no adhesion residue or signs of abrasion at 20x.

They busted up the caseback then used it as evidence of prior entry. Then put the hands on crooked.