The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 August 2019, 03:35 AM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
The perfect choice

I recently bought my watch based off of online pictures only; I hadn't tried on the current Speedmaster and I definitely hadn't seen a 3590.50 in person. What I did know (or so I thought) was that I wanted a Speedmaster with tritium lume.

The 3590.50 came on an older style bracelet, and this weekend I got to give the current Speedmaster a test drive in Vegas. Well, it validated everything that I thought, which rarely happens! I definitely like the vintage look of the tritium lume a lot better, and the current bracelet feels a little too hefty for what I was looking for.

While I have the Hulk, I do prefer the feel of my 16710, and the 3590.50's bracelet reminds me more of that. The current Speedmaster has that over-engineered feeling of the Hulk, which I do like on the Hulk but wasn't looking for the same feeling in a Speedmaster.

Essentially, I find my perfect Speedmaster with box and papers for a great price...all without having tried one on or seen one in person. 99% of the time, I say you should try a watch on first, but this is that 1% that actually worked out for me!

Old 6 August 2019, 06:55 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
You really did score a good one with that Speedmaster. Glad to hear how happy you are with it
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 01:04 PM   #3
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
You really did score a good one with that Speedmaster. Glad to hear how happy you are with it
Thank you - it's such a nice watch that it's having me regret not getting it sooner! I guess the Omega hate was just too strong for me.
Old 6 August 2019, 10:15 PM   #4
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am glad it worked out for you and the watch is to your liking. Great pictures. Are you going to play the strap game and add some leather/NATO's over time? I think your watch would look great on the right color leather suede strap, not to mention some NATO's.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2019, 05:16 AM   #5
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

A great choice and glad that you are enjoying it. Unfortunately for me I have hairy arms that disagreed with the 1479 bracelet that pulled enough off my arms to make a carpet! I've worn mine permanently on straps ever since, as suggested by others. The vintage patina goes great with so many straps it is definitely worth experimenting.
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2019, 05:27 AM   #6
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I am glad it worked out for you and the watch is to your liking. Great pictures. Are you going to play the strap game and add some leather/NATO's over time? I think your watch would look great on the right color leather suede strap, not to mention some NATO's.
I already bought a couple straps! Only problem is the spring bars seem to be stuck; the donut to catch the spring bar tool is totally gone and I spent about an hour this morning trying to compress it anyway.

I'm hoping I can take it to a watchmaker that has a tool to cut the spring bars, but the opening is so small...
Old 7 August 2019, 05:27 AM   #7
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedssd View Post
A great choice and glad that you are enjoying it. Unfortunately for me I have hairy arms that disagreed with the 1479 bracelet that pulled enough off my arms to make a carpet! I've worn mine permanently on straps ever since, as suggested by others. The vintage patina goes great with so many straps it is definitely worth experimenting.
I used to own a Panerai and got sucked into the strap game pretty hard; I'm sensing that it's going to happen here as well!