The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 12 January 2010, 01:08 PM   #1
pinoys4
Banned

breitling super avenger

really love the size of the breitling super avenger. thinking of picking one up to add to my little collection i just started. i picked up a pam 112 about 2 months ago. now i really want this breitling. just seeing which people prefer cause i'm a little undecided if i should go with all black face with the sticks or black with silver sub dials with regular numbers. i already have the pam as all black face watch but the all black face with sticks SA just looks so good.
pinoys4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 02:16 PM   #2
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
I tried a Super Avenger on at the AD. It was big! The rep said it was a little big for me. The superocean Chrono was perfect.

After that I purchased a Korsbeck, and a Fortis B-42 marinemaster. Both of these were about the same size, and I loved it. The Korsbek had long lugs that almost past my wristbones. I sold it. The Fortis has a sharp outer edge on the crown. That irritated the back of my hand. The Breitling was just right.
I've been looking at the Super Avenger, and really like it. You need to try one on before you buy it. They are boat anchors!!!!!!!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 02:23 PM   #3
pinoys4
Banned

i have tried it on and love it just can not decide which dial i want thanks for the input
Old 12 January 2010, 02:27 PM   #4
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
I like the one with the military style numbers. I think it's the Skyland Avenger in blue, or balck. Chrono is a plus, but not a must. Both look great with the lume numbers.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 10:39 AM   #5
UncleBennie

Good choice on the SA! I'm pretty sure they are one of the most sought after Breitlings on the market!

I just got the White dial with the batons not too long ago, and I've been really happy with the purchase. For the white dial, I personally prefer the batons since it looked sharp and a little more of a "flying" feel to it. However, as to the black SA, it's a little trickier since the numerals have the white subidals, which gives the watch a little added color flavor with the contrast.

Ultimately, I would desribe the batons as sharp and BA, but the numerals have a little more flavor and a little more elegant (if you put a leather strap on there). I know it's a tough choice, I can't say that I know whice one I would pick.

Try their website where you can build your own watch (http://www.breitling.com/en/index.ph...super-avenger/), and play around with it for a while. Based on my short experience of watch collecting (I've only started last year), if I can't decided between two similar watches, then I needed to wait for a little bit and play with the ideas around, the decision should become clear after a while ;)

Ben
UncleBennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 11:35 AM   #6
djhiram
Banned

Watch: 16600 Sea Dweller
When I got mine, I also thought it was too big. After owning one for a few years it has grown on me however and doesn't seem as big to me anymore. The weight and size does take some getting used to in the beginning, however I have nothing but good things to say about the Super Avenger, but then again I'm biased

Sorry about the smudge on the crystal
djhiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 01:44 PM   #7
pinoys4
Banned

nice watch i think i'm gonna go for black face with siver sub dials with numbers. the one i might be purchasing from a private seller also has the big wings and automatic written on top of bottom sub dial. looks so good thanks for all the input guys
Old 13 January 2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Raven

If you have less than a 7.5" wrist its probably too big, also bare in mind this watch is a brick is constructed like a tank and is heavy as hell. I have the white batton version of this and a large 8.1" wrist to sport it on witch is ok for its size. This is a watch for men children stay away. Another thing is.. it won't go under most shirts and it will get noticed, so if you preffer to be discreet this is not for you!
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 10:13 PM   #9
H2F
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam & Lings
I'm partial to the black-on-black w batons myself...

And my wrist is actually only abt 6.75". No problem at all, very comfortable & VERY striking. Here's a wrist shot (bad, but u get the idea) right after I got it last Christmas..

H2F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 04:38 AM   #10
Raven

Its a matter of taste but if I had a 6.75" wrist I would go for a skyland instead I think. If you like the watch to look big and chunky you can wear it with any wrist size really.
Old 14 January 2010, 06:18 AM   #11
pinoys4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Its a matter of taste but if I had a 6.75" wrist I would go for a skyland instead I think. If you like the watch to look big and chunky you can wear it with any wrist size really.
i have a 7.25 wrist so i think i can pull it off just need to clear some funds up and i should be good to go going with black w/silver subs and big wings
Old 14 January 2010, 06:19 AM   #12
pinoys4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2F View Post
I'm partial to the black-on-black w batons myself...

And my wrist is actually only abt 6.75". No problem at all, very comfortable & VERY striking. Here's a wrist shot (bad, but u get the idea) right after I got it last Christmas..

exact watch i tried on at the AD and made me want one nice
Old 14 January 2010, 06:09 PM   #13
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoys4 View Post
i have a 7.25 wrist so i think i can pull it off just need to clear some funds up and i should be good to go going with black w/silver subs and big wings
Think thats a great choice, I love the Black batton dial and actually am thinking of getting one, just a bit in doubt between the black batton or the black steel. I have the white batton dial.

Old 15 January 2010, 10:41 AM   #14
Brentomatic

Watch: Deepsea
^^^^^^^ That's the one to get^^^^^^^
Brentomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 05:28 PM   #15
4runner
"TRF" Member

I'am sure almost any color face will look impressive I especially like the way a different color set of sub dials changes the look. I choose the white face silver subs with arabics, its 3 weeks old and I wanted this watch to add to my collection, Iam very happy with it and enjoy wearing it. By the way my wrist size is about 7in. and have no pboblem with it. {Enjoy it}
4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 03:41 PM   #16
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Had the white which looked great but the hands were difficult to see in certain light. Bought the dark blue, and it is great. I have the numbers but they are very subtle, which I like, and the contrasting subdials are easier to read for a guy who is now wearing reading glasses a fair amount. This is a great watch, and the size becomes "normal" very quickly.

Love mine.

Still thinking about the Smurf Blue Rolex Submariner in TT though : - )
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2010, 09:46 AM   #17
425ranger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Marathon SAR
Batons are cool. Mine.... too big after owning it.... giant (7.5" wrists)
425ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 06:52 AM   #18
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Yeah, they're alright :)

TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2010, 10:29 PM   #19
stusrt
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many
I had the super a. for about 2 years but sold it. Got a Skyland PVD instead.
I personally like the smaller skyland a lot more - funny how breitling fans think the 45mm is "smaller"

My super was the white chrono - and to tell you the truth, it attracted more attention to my wrist then any other watch I've owned. I didn't like that.
But the size never bothered me. Very comfortable for being so large and heavy.
stusrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2010, 11:38 PM   #20
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Skyland is perfect IMHO

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2010, 01:47 PM   #21
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
Had the white which looked great but the hands were difficult to see in certain light. Bought the dark blue, and it is great. I have the numbers but they are very subtle, which I like, and the contrasting subdials are easier to read for a guy who is now wearing reading glasses a fair amount. This is a great watch, and the size becomes "normal" very quickly.

Love mine.

Still thinking about the Smurf Blue Rolex Submariner in TT though : - )
I had the same reaction; was looking at the SA white dial last year and the lack of contrast of the hands on the white dial made me reconsider and I walked away. For the times that I have only a split second to glance at my watch I moved to the Big Pilot

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote