The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: Which option would you choose
Hublot Big Bang Carbon Dial 0 0%
Hublot Big Bang Steel 1 9.09%
Hublot Classic Fusion 1 9.09%
Breitling Chronomat 42 9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 May 2021, 12:26 AM   #1
smg8
Banned

Help choosing!

Hi All,

I am hoping to garner some opinions on the options I've rounded my search down to.

I have been looking for a 3rd watch to complement a small collection - GMT Master 116710 LN and Omega Seamaster (Blue dial, rubber strap).

Like many I've got sick and tired of Rolex and the nonsense games so have been exploring alternative brands.

I had an AP Royal Oak Chrono in this slot which I sold 6 months ago, I never really clicked with it and found the bracelet uncomfortable which meant it wasn't too hard to let go of, and I also wanted to increase my weighting to stocks/shares rather than watches so couldn't justify having £20k tied up in a 3rd watch.

I am ready to replace it but with a smaller budget, thinking started at around the £5k-£6k mark but I seem to have suffered from some mission creep

Role in collection;

GMT - daily wear
Omega - holiday/pool/beach
???? - occasions/dinner out/maybe weekends/maybe odd day at work

So I am looking for something different to the others, that feels a bit special. I am a casual dresser so a dress watch is totally out, just doesn't suit me or my lifestyle/tastes/dress sense etc.

After a fair amount of consideration, searching, trying bits on etc I've rounded it down to as per below (excuse poor quality shots!);

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Welcome any thoughts!
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 12:46 AM   #2
ppfl
"TRF" Member

I was thinking about a chronograph before I saw your pictures, so that's what I'd suggest!

Have you considered Tag Heuer chronographs? Between the Monaco and the new 160th anniversary versions, you have quite a good range over there.

Zenith El Primero should fit your budget, and they're worth the money for their movements.

How about the new IWC Pilot Chronographs?

Out of the four you've posted, my vote goes to the Breitling, although if it's up to me, I would find it difficult to justify that increased cost over the Tudor BBC.
ppfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 12:56 AM   #3
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

Good suggestion with looking at IWC, Zenith, Tag, and others...but I found another that is a rather good buy (aftermarket, not from AD) an that is a Panerai. I picked up a 42MM earlier this year and am really surprised how nicely it wears, and how much I enjoy it. Worth a look over those particular Hublots in my opinion!
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 01:14 AM   #4
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
breitling
Old 4 May 2021, 02:02 AM   #5
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Don't get a Hublot man in my opinion.
I would go for the GP Laureato chrono all day - even if you need to add 1k. there are some sweet sweet deals out there.

11081948_xxl_v1556628920041.jpg
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 02:02 AM   #6
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the large pic ;-)
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 02:49 AM   #7
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppfl View Post
I was thinking about a chronograph before I saw your pictures, so that's what I'd suggest!

Have you considered Tag Heuer chronographs? Between the Monaco and the new 160th anniversary versions, you have quite a good range over there.

Zenith El Primero should fit your budget, and they're worth the money for their movements.

How about the new IWC Pilot Chronographs?

Out of the four you've posted, my vote goes to the Breitling, although if it's up to me, I would find it difficult to justify that increased cost over the Tudor BBC.
Thanks for the comment/pointers!

Tag has never really resonated with me being honest. I think I’d struggle to find times I’d choose a Tag over the Rolex. Whilst I know Hublot is marmite, I like the fact it would be very different to what I have already (as would the Breitling albeit to a lesser extent). If I had an unlimited budget I’d grab a Royal Oak Offshore but I don’t want to spend that much, the Hublot gets me close to that kind of feel (in terms of sporty luxury design) but at a fraction of the cost.

The new zenith primero sport is lovely looking in pics, but nowhere has one to try on unfortunately. I also flit between loving the look and thinking it’s too close to the ceramic Daytona.

IWC is a good shout, I looked at the Ingenieur but didn’t quite click with it. It seemed to be the closest IWC to what I think I’m after!

Thanks again.
Old 4 May 2021, 02:51 AM   #8
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyyy View Post
Good suggestion with looking at IWC, Zenith, Tag, and others...but I found another that is a rather good buy (aftermarket, not from AD) an that is a Panerai. I picked up a 42MM earlier this year and am really surprised how nicely it wears, and how much I enjoy it. Worth a look over those particular Hublots in my opinion!
Thanks, a PAM 312 was my first ever luxury watch! Have always had a soft spot for Panerai but haven’t spotted one I like enough to justify the price lately. The PAM 1661 would be the one, but not for £10k. Cheers
Old 4 May 2021, 02:57 AM   #9
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
Don't get a Hublot man in my opinion.
I would go for the GP Laureato chrono all day - even if you need to add 1k. there are some sweet sweet deals out there.
Ha I wasn’t expecting the Hublot to get much love around here. Honestly surprised myself with how much I liked the Big Bang when I tried it on.

They had one of these in the case when I went to the shops and I’m cursing myself for not trying it on. It looks WAY better in person than picture, I found myself ogling it for a while .....perhaps one to try before making any decisions. I hadn’t realised they’d be in budget and don’t know much about the brand so hadn’t really been on my radar. Thanks for highlighting
Old 4 May 2021, 03:31 AM   #10
tedo
"TRF" Member

Looking to get a Hublot as well to add to my collection, a skeleton. I don’t mind the detractors. They look great I think.
Old 4 May 2021, 03:35 AM   #11
tufa
"TRF" Member

I'd get an Omega Aquaterra Worldtimer or perhaps a Grand Seiko instead of these options.

My Daily is a GMT Master too..
tufa is offline   Reply With Quote