The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 June 2024, 11:00 AM   #1
PhilSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 126610LN
AD discounts for WG Sub (126619LB) Cookie Monster

AD just offered the WG Sub (Cookie Monster).
I prefer a WG GMT or Daytona, but the Cookie Monster is appealing.

MSRP is $43.7 about $10k over gray. I would never sell this watch, but feels so overpriced.
Has anyone had recent success getting a ~5% discount for a Cookie Monster or other WG timepieces?
PhilSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 01:57 PM   #2
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Don't think ADs are willing to discount yet based on my experience. I bought mine 2 price increases ago (no discount + tax). It was a relationship builder fortunately (my AD for the the previous 25+ years lost their acct).
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 03:49 PM   #3
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSF View Post
AD just offered the WG Sub (Cookie Monster).
I prefer a WG GMT or Daytona, but the Cookie Monster is appealing.

MSRP is $43.7 about $10k over gray. I would never sell this watch, but feels so overpriced.
Has anyone had recent success getting a ~5% discount for a Cookie Monster or other WG timepieces?
1- only buy a watch that you want , you refer a GMT or Daytona then wait for the watch
2- why would anyone pay $10k more for watch that’s just as easy to obtain elsewhere.

Please don’t think buying the extra $10k watch will help you ‘build a relationship’ it will make you look silly as AD’s know it can be bought cheaper
Old 16 June 2024, 04:07 PM   #4
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
1- only buy a watch that you want , you refer a GMT or Daytona then wait for the watch
2- why would anyone pay $10k more for watch that’s just as easy to obtain elsewhere.

Please don’t think buying the extra $10k watch will help you ‘build a relationship’ it will make you look silly as AD’s know it can be bought cheaper
I actually think it's the exact opposite of what you're saying. If you're willing to buy a watch from an AD that goes for significantly under retail in the grey market it will 100% count in your favor as the AD knows you're almost certainly not buying it to flip. These are exactly the types of purchases that do help you build a relationship with an AD.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 05:16 PM   #5
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

5%? That's only $2k off, whereas you say you can get preowned for $10k less. Why would you pay $8k more than you have to?
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 05:41 PM   #6
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
5%? That's only $2k off, whereas you say you can get preowned for $10k less. Why would you pay $8k more than you have to?
This
Old 16 June 2024, 05:54 PM   #7
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Exactly.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 06:09 PM   #8
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku View Post
I actually think it's the exact opposite of what you're saying. If you're willing to buy a watch from an AD that goes for significantly under retail in the grey market it will 100% count in your favor as the AD knows you're almost certainly not buying it to flip. These are exactly the types of purchases that do help you build a relationship with an AD.
For me if you can make a saving of $10k you’d be mad going down the AD route. If you could buy anything else in life would you pay over the odds for it knowing the exact same thing could be bought significantly cheaper elsewhere? I don’t see why buying a watch should be any different
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 07:18 PM   #9
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just makes the AD more money imo.....other ways to build a relationship without spending a penny on items you don't really want.
Bozzie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 08:10 PM   #10
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If you're willing to buy a watch from an AD that goes for significantly under retail in the grey market it will 100% count in your favor as the AD knows you're almost certainly not buying it to flip. These are exactly the types of purchases that do help you build a relationship with an AD.
Yes, it's the fool-and-their-money model. Any competent sales professional will gouge the hell out of such a customer.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 08:54 PM   #11
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Any chance you could post your contact details up as I’ve loads of stuff to sell you which you could get cheaper elsewhere
Old 16 June 2024, 11:24 PM   #12
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
ADs are not allowed to discount here in the US. If they do it would be grounds for loss of rights to sell the brand. And Rolex is actively looking to cut ADs and consolidate.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 11:31 PM   #13
PhilSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
ADs are not allowed to discount here in the US. If they do it would be grounds for loss of rights to sell the brand. And Rolex is actively looking to cut ADs and consolidate.
Thank you for the clear response. Very helpful.
PhilSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 11:39 PM   #14
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Ah...the good old days, pre-craziness of course, where it was common practice to shop around for the best deal- from a trusted seller or the AD. The answer to that question, when posed on the forum, was usually a resounding 'get the best deal.'

Sadly, the world's gone a little crazy since, and now the push is for you to "belong" to the company (or store) you buy your precious goods from. So, in this New World Order, I don't know if the answer is as clear.

I know what I would do, but I'm old, and therefore exempt from caring about the bullsh*t I see running rampant in today's world.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 11:40 PM   #15
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I do an awful lot of reading here and I have not once read a report of ADs discounting from retail since well before Covid.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 12:23 AM   #16
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN Finally!
Yikes, with that kind of a discount I would strongly consider grey.
I do get the appeal of having it for generations so its a tough one
Apdl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 12:56 AM   #17
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
For me if you can make a saving of $10k you’d be mad going down the AD route. If you could buy anything else in life would you pay over the odds for it knowing the exact same thing could be bought significantly cheaper elsewhere? I don’t see why buying a watch should be any different
If you pay $10k over on this piece but you gain access to hype pieces that sell for significantly over market, it’s not difficult to make up that $10k over time.

On the other hand, if you’re one and done then I agree there’s no point.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 01:12 AM   #18
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
But from the AD but just ask for a discount. I am thinking I would ask 15% to start.
Old 17 June 2024, 01:23 AM   #19
MplsMN
"TRF" Member

Buy it from secondary market then take the $10k you are saving and buy an index fund, or another $10k watch from the secondary market. Don’t waste $10k for a “relationship” that might never get you another watch.
MplsMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 01:23 AM   #20
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

AD doesn’t make discount at least personal experience till now.
The Cookie Monster MUST be bought grey because cost way less. One time grey make sense…you arguing ������
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 01:27 AM   #21
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
It doesn’t make any sense paying over the odds unless the purchase rewards the buyer in another way for at least twice the perceived loss. My 2 cents.

Example - buy the wg sub at retail and get a SS Daytona in the package.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 02:30 AM   #22
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 03:26 AM   #23
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Yes, it's the fool-and-their-money model. Any competent sales professional will gouge the hell out of such a customer.
This is the modern Rolex sales model and it's all about what OP's goals are. If he/she wants to get the more desirable in demand pieces such as a steel Daytona, steel Pepsi, etc. there's simply no other way without purchase history.

To be clear you don't have to buy this watch in particular if you don't actually want it, but generally speaking you're not getting desirable references without purchase history.

An AD has no incentive to allocate a desirable watch to a customer without purchase history.
Old 17 June 2024, 03:26 AM   #24
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

I fully get why someone would pay more for a brand new watch from an AD, rather than a second hand watch of unknown history from a second-hand dealer.

But cannot get my head around spending $43k on a watch that I didn’t want, just to impress a shop salesman. I’m clearly living in a completely different financial situation to some guys on this forum
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 03:35 AM   #25
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
If you pay $10k over on this piece but you gain access to hype pieces that sell for significantly over market, it’s not difficult to make up that $10k over time.

On the other hand, if you’re one and done then I agree there’s no point.
But wouldn’t that be classed as flipping? And something your AD would frown upon? Possibly ruling you out of further allocations. Unfortunately if you rely on AD’s for anything they have you hooked
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 03:37 AM   #26
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
But wouldn’t that be classed as flipping? And something your AD would frown upon? Possibly ruling you out of further allocations. Unfortunately if you rely on AD’s for anything they have you hooked
pretty sure he meant in the context of getting hype pieces for yourself at msrp vs buying them grey because you have no relationship. in the long run you can end up spending less to get more even after overpaying 10k for a gold piece
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 08:28 AM   #27
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
pretty sure he meant in the context of getting hype pieces for yourself at msrp vs buying them grey because you have no relationship. in the long run you can end up spending less to get more even after overpaying 10k for a gold piece
This.

I work with 2 ADs and work with SAs in conjuction with management. In my area there is still too much competition to get anything in demand w/o spend history.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 09:29 AM   #28
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

Can’t imagine why someone would pay $43k for a watch that trades for $31-$33k. That’s some premium for a pen, chocolates, and a glass of champagne.
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 09:37 AM   #29
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reRlxGuy View Post
This.

I work with 2 ADs and work with SAs in conjuction with management. In my area there is still too much competition to get anything in demand w/o spend history.
100%. Not sure why this is so hard to understand. Almost no one is getting in-demand pieces without prior spend history.
Old 17 June 2024, 09:40 AM   #30
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by agsstructures View Post
Can’t imagine why someone would pay $43k for a watch that trades for $31-$33k. That’s some premium for a pen, chocolates, and a glass of champagne.
It wasn't all that long ago that virtually all watches dropped 50 percent or more from retail once bought. But nobody cared back then. People bought watches to wear, usually just one for a lifetime. It was a cost of living so to speak.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote