The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 October 2020, 02:36 PM   #1
danipan
"TRF" Member

Question for those who've bought used

I'm looking to buy a late model 16710, just wanted to know from anyone who has bought used, whether it's common practice to ask the dealer to open up the case back so that it can be verified that it's all legit inside or would this be frowned upon?
danipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 02:45 PM   #2
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Buy from a TS and you needn’t worry about that. I bought my 16710 from a TS in July this summer.

As they say here on TRF, buy the seller.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 02:52 PM   #3
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by danipan View Post
I'm looking to buy a late model 16710, just wanted to know from anyone who has bought used, whether it's common practice to ask the dealer to open up the case back so that it can be verified that it's all legit inside or would this be frowned upon?

No it’s not. Most “people” selling used do not have the tools. Some of the large sellers may have them, but I still wouldn’t ask. You either trust the seller or not IMHO. Other users may disagree.
Current Collection: Rolex 126619LB, 116710BLNR, and 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster and Planet Ocean 42; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Nomos Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & SuperOcean 44; Doxa 300 Pro Carbon; Stowa Limette; Laco Napa Flieger; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 03:48 PM   #4
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Question for those who've bought used

If its a dealer yes think is not that rare of a request and is a reasonable request; if it’s a private party not common and as said above many wouldn’t have the means to open it or perform a pressure testing afterwords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 10:26 PM   #5
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I agree with those that have said that if it’s a dealer sure it’s a reasonable request. I wouldn’t ask a private party to do it as they won’t have the tools or experience to properly open it up.

Also just a side note in response to the people who have said if it’s a trusted dealer you don’t have to worry... 99% of the time that’s likely to hold up. But I’m not entirely convinced that every trusted seller is opening up the case back to verify the movement is correct. I could name a half dozen cases where Franken-watches have slipped through the hands of very trusted sellers. It’s more common than you may think. Many of these trusted sellers are so large that they may not even actually touch the watch personally. Of course if there was an issue post-sale a trusted seller will no question make it right. But It’s up to you to do your due diligence. Ask every question you need to so you feel comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 October 2020, 10:30 PM   #6
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
All “Trusted Grey Market” vendors on this site and in general will remove case back and inspect the movement. If you’re buying even “new” from the GM it’s already been partially disassembled. Another reason GM isn’t my favorite. Watches have been properly molested and sold as “new or unworn” when they’ve clearly been worn and scratched up and opened up. And if they aren’t doing this, there’s too high of a risk of it being a fake. So if you buy grey it’s either been molested and dust has been introduced into the movement and seals have been worn some, or it’s a fake, or you got really lucky neither happened and you’ll never know for sure.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 10:35 PM   #7
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I personally did not have them open the case back or even ask. I bought from a trusted seller. YMMV and I don’t think it’s a bad idea, just not one I would do. The case back on my watch will be opened when it goes to get its yearly insurance appraisal, they have a pressure tester.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 10:39 PM   #8
midwesterner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I personally did not have them open the case back or even ask. I bought from a trusted seller. YMMV and I don’t think it’s a bad idea, just not one I would do. The case back on my watch will be opened when it goes to get its yearly insurance appraisal, they have a pressure tester.

I am curious why the case would need to be opened for an insurance appraisal? To verify it’s authenticity?
midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:27 PM   #9
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Echoing the trusted seller aspect; buy from a known entity and you'll be fine.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:29 PM   #10
Wrist King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Sub, 16710 P
I bought a late model 16710 from OCRolex and it was a great idea. Paid more than perhaps buying from a random individual but some element of trust. Then I had a rolly service and all legit.

Sent from my SM-G9730 using Tapatalk
Wrist King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:44 PM   #11
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
I bought a z-serial 16710 from SD Watches a few years back. I did not ask for Tony to open the case. The watch was practically NOS condition, and I have never questioned authenticity, nor would I. Additionally, if/when it goes in for service, I know without question if there was an issue with illegitimate parts or otherwise, Tony would make it right.

Note: if I was paying a premium for a 3186 movement, yes- I would want pics to verify this.... otherwise, no need.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:48 PM   #12
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
I am curious why the case would need to be opened for an insurance appraisal? To verify it’s authenticity?

It’s just the appraiser I am sending it to. Insurance does not require it.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:51 PM   #13
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would never open the case. It was closed in correct humidity and dust free air conditions at the factory. Why let dust and humidity into the movement.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 12:10 AM   #14
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Buy the seller.

I had previously (23 years ago) bought a 1675 from Bernard Watch, then in Dallas. That transaction went smoothly, and as soon as I got it I sent it to RUSA in NYC for service and to change the Jubilee bracelet to an Oyster Lock. It turned out the previous owner had it serviced twice since new at RUSA.

Over the years, I had bought a number of watchmaker tools including a case back opener and a limited assortment of Rolex case back O-rings.

When I decided to buy a 16710 earlier this year, I went back to Bernard which had relocated to Austin, and purchased a P-serial number (c. 2000) 16710N with box and papers that had been serviced by RUSA. When the watch arrived, I opened the case and verified the movement was an authentic Rolex 3185. The watch is in like new condition in spite of being 20 years old. The purchase price was $12,500 which is not out of line in the current market.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 12:18 AM   #15
Spoonage

I bought my Tudor Sub from a TS. Did not bother asking him to open it. I did however send it in to get serviced when I received it, new superdome installed, and the rehaut cleaned so no surprises either way.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 01:18 AM   #16
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Not common, expect refusals.

Sellers are dealing with many tyre kickers and so called experts.
They might pass and sell to someone who shows no distrust.
Old 26 October 2020, 01:26 AM   #17
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

I don’t know how common it is. I bought from an individual I didn’t know, took it to an AD and had it’s authenticity confirmed.

“Buy the seller” is true enough I suppose. That’s no guarantee of anything either. Is it.
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 01:31 AM   #18
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Not common, expect refusals.

Sellers are dealing with many tyre kickers and so called experts.
They might pass and sell to someone who shows no distrust.
I suspect this as well.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 01:48 AM   #19
Big Sexy
"TRF" Member

I purchase used and always try for no box/papers to keep the price down if I don’t intend to resell. Buy the seller and you will be fine. That said I DO have my watch maker open them up and service them once I get them and I’ve never been burned.

Well...I recently was burned on a new one that broke a week into ownership LOL but it’s under warranty.
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 01:51 AM   #20
Big Sexy
"TRF" Member

One thing you can also do is build the price of a factory service into the purchase...that would answer any questions
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 01:54 AM   #21
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I liken it to people asking to see the engine of a used car. It’s fine if you know what you’re looking at / for, but otherwise seems pointless if buying from a trusted source.

I bought a late 16610 from a trusted vintage dealer. I didn’t ask to see the movement as it came with a 12 month warranty and all the paperwork I could ever need.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 05:11 AM   #22
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
I didn’t and I bought my 16570 polar at grey from Federico at delray watch. buy from TS and no worries
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 07:57 AM   #23
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I have never asked but if they did open it for you, would you know what to look for? I wouldn’t and I have owned quite a few Rolex’s. The inside can look authentic as well. I don’t buy from, the “trusted sellers “on this site due to their markup but if new to this game it may be worth it for your piece of mind. No matter where you get it BUY THE SELLER!
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 10:56 AM   #24
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Buy from a TS and you needn’t worry about that. I bought my 16710 from a TS in July this summer.

As they say here on TRF, buy the seller.
This seems to be echoed as the default answer on TRF, whilst I agree with the idea of it, a lot of posts seem to forget this is a world wide forum, not everyone is in the States. The OP is in London, add 20% import and the trusted seller route is no longer viable.

Not sure if there are any UK trusted sellers on here but if there are it is probably few enough that it would significantly reduce the choice.

But along the same sentiment, i would buy from a trusted source with good online reviews and it shouldn't be necessary.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 11:07 AM   #25
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Common practice? I'd say no. I know when I traded in a 14060 the AD, (not mine now) opened it first thing. I say it goes both ways, if that is a priority for you how can it hurt to ask. They can only say yes or no. I bought two 5 dgt pieces in the last 1.5 years and felt comfortable with both sellers so it wasn't an issue for me. One was a private seller who I know couldn't and one from my AD whom I felt no need to ask. Whatever you do, buy the seller first, that's been said a million times.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote