The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 5 December 2012, 03:28 PM   #1
jets
"TRF" Member

Looking for my 1st Panerai

Hello all I would like some advice or opinions.

I have been wanting to add a GMT my collection for some time. At first I thought that an Omega Aqua Terra Chrono 44mm would be good although it looks a bit underwhelming and lacking in something. Like a photocopy of a fine piece of art I suppose. I absolutely love the look of the GMT II with coke bezel. I thing the watch is small and even a Fat Lady may look childish on me. I actually sold my 16610LV because of that. Then I thought about the new 42mm explorer II but that is too similar to my Deepsea. I love my Deepsea, it's my favorite watch to wear from looks to comfort.

I would like to note that I would like to stick to a bracelet model as straps tend tend to look off as my wrist bone forces watches to sit funny. It is kind of irritating.

I tried a pam on before and it felt nice. Can't recall if it was 42 or 44mm but I'm sure I can pull off a 44. I have a 7" plus wrist. Just looking to get some info and have been combing through info trying to narrow my search. I have no idea what Luminor, Radomir, or what a 50's case mean I would like for someone to help clarify some differences between models that have caught my eye. Does the fact that the 297 not have an in house movement a big deal? Up until now the look of the 297 has been captivating although some of the more simpler designs are looking really good too. Some GMT's have no hour markers just the extra had...on some I think they had a small sub dial with another time zone altogether. I figure that if I ever want to try some straps I can do that more easily by getting a model with bracelet first as I have read that they can be pricey after the fact. I think I would like to stick with an automatic movement rather than manual as well.

GMT 297, 329, 347
NON GMT 328, 299

Keep in mind that I would like to try and stay under 7K and not concerned about buying a previously loved watch. Any help or guidance would be awesome.

I look forward reading your thoughts on this.
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2012, 09:36 PM   #2
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I think the 329 would be right up your alley.
In house movement, 44mm 1950's case (slightly different shape and feel of the regular Luminor cases).
I don't like the PR indicator on the dial of the 347 personally.
Your price point should be doable on a well cared for pre owned. Good luck.
So many wonderful choices with Panerai.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote