The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 March 2024, 07:33 AM   #1
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

USA import duties for voutilainen?

Anyone have experience about how much duties would cost for ordering direct from Kari? Been searching and seems variable what people are paying, depending on case, movement etc.
dchang81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 01:10 PM   #2
Notimetodie
"TRF" Member

Correct. There is a seemingly convoluted but not that complicated formula based on number of jewels, case, strap/bracelet etc. I once did a quick back of the envelope calc on a a royal oak and came up to about 6% (not including personal deduction) Either way, well worth getting a vat refund from Europe.
Notimetodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 01:13 PM   #3
Notimetodie
"TRF" Member

I should add… the application/payment of state tax seems to be largely inconsistent. Which obviously adds a big chunk.
Notimetodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 03:16 PM   #4
yoast
"TRF" Member

Here you go:

HTS Code 9102.21.70
* Movement – Flat fee of $1.53
* Case – 4.2%
* Bracelet/Band – 9.8% for textile/metal, 2% for others (9102.21.90)
Old 18 March 2024, 12:04 AM   #5
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetodie View Post
I should add… the application/payment of state tax seems to be largely inconsistent. Which obviously adds a big chunk.
If you are getting the watch shipped from Geneva to my great state of California.. And if the carrier is DHL, you will most certainly get hit by the CA sales tax. I just paid for my two Mad One shipped from MB&F after receiving the notice letter from Ca tax and fee service. They get a detail breakdown of the case, movement and strap cost (I.e. total price of the watch) and just charged 10.5% sales tax. As US custom and CA shared data but I am not sure what other state does. (I heard NY also does but no way to verify)

From my experience, DHL certainly triggered a notice letter. But EMS and Fexdex seem to be random.

BTW, there are many talks of detax information gets send to US Custom and there are people who gets stopped at US Custom with purchases in Europe being brought back. Many people claimed that the Custom officer has a list of items being detax via Global Blue.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 12:16 AM   #6
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetodie View Post
Correct. There is a seemingly convoluted but not that complicated formula based on number of jewels, case, strap/bracelet etc. I once did a quick back of the envelope calc on a a royal oak and came up to about 6% (not including personal deduction) Either way, well worth getting a vat refund from Europe.
The 6% must be a magic number. Once when we came back from Paris and we brought a watch and a bag back. We were honest and declared every item we purchased so we were stopped for inspection. After about one hour at the custom office, the officers finally gave up on itemize every item and came back and told us that since we were honest, they would charge us a flat 6%. We probably came out ahead since handbag from France actually still carries a hefty tariff from the previous administration. Lesson learned is that being honest can get you a “discount” but at the same time cost us over an hour at the Custom. Funny thing was, a few ladies walked by with a hand carry Chanel shopping bag and obviously a Chanel bag inside a box. The Custom officer never stopped them for inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
Here you go:

HTS Code 9102.21.70
* Movement – Flat fee of $1.53
* Case – 4.2%
* Bracelet/Band – 9.8% for textile/metal, 2% for others (9102.21.90)
Funny that you are from Hong Kong but you have a good understanding of the HTS code.
Old 18 March 2024, 07:36 AM   #7
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If you import it, US Customs should notify your State so the sales tax would be due also. The customs fees are very reasonable.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 09:26 AM   #8
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks seems like it may be easier/cheaper to order via a dealer. California does seem to be clawing back every last cent I got a notice in the mail for a delugs order I didn't even think about for like 10$
dchang81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 12:50 PM   #9
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Thanks seems like it may be easier/cheaper to order via a dealer. California does seem to be clawing back every last cent I got a notice in the mail for a delugs order I didn't even think about for like 10$

Welcome to California