The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 December 2010, 07:38 AM   #1
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
How NOT to keep a DRSD

This beauty is from a friend of mine and is from 1975 or something. It has seen RSC only twice. The date wheel mech is long gone and the guy has done everything with it,from serious diving to having it fall into paint buckets. He lost box and papers but at least this watch has not been cannibalized in it's parts, something pretty common in most Rolex vintages. Beautiful watch,those of you who one one in of course much better conditions are very lucky
Bad android pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0257.jpg (85.1 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0258.jpg (58.3 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0260.jpg (56.2 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0262.jpg (54.5 KB, 285 views)
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Rickster
"TRF" Member

Ahhh... looks like it has done what it was built to do for 35 years and its been well enjoyed. I love it
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2010, 12:11 PM   #3
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
Ahhh... looks like it has done what it was built to do for 35 years and its been well enjoyed. I love it
All that it needs is a new crystal and it will look great...
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I would have the bracelet refinished also...

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2010, 12:50 PM   #5
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
The heck with cosmetics......I'd just get the movement situated, and keep wearing it.

Cool watch!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2010, 01:18 PM   #6
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Congrats on a classic!! Enjoy it.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2010, 01:24 PM   #7
Michael M.
Banned

Just needs a good polish and a new crystal.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2010, 01:37 PM   #8
HL65

Whatever you do--don't polish it!!! One of the quickest ways to ruin a vintage watch outside of changing the hands and dial is polishing it!! Change the crystal and service the movement--not at RSC though (never send a vintage to Rolex)--go to a good independent--there are plenty out there--do a thread search or pm me and I will be happy to help.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 5 December 2010, 01:52 PM   #9
heylerds
"TRF" Member

Educate a noob, I have a 28 yo Sub (is this considered vintage?) and it stopped running a week ago and I was going to have it serviced at RSC - why not have a vinatge serviced at RSC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
Whatever you do--don't polish it!!! One of the quickest ways to ruin a vintage watch outside of changing the hands and dial is polishing it!! Change the crystal and service the movement--not at RSC though (never send a vintage to Rolex)--go to a good independent--there are plenty out there--do a thread search or pm me and I will be happy to help.
heylerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2010, 05:37 PM   #10
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylerds View Post
Educate a noob, I have a 28 yo Sub (is this considered vintage?) and it stopped running a week ago and I was going to have it serviced at RSC - why not have a vinatge serviced at RSC?
Rolex service is just fine, better than most independents I would guess. You'll get all worn internal parts replaced with genuine Rolex parts.

Rolex will likely want to replace the dial and hands. Just politely tell them you want to keep your original dial, hands and date wheel (and bezel insert if its in good condition). RSC will want to polish the case, too. Some folks don't like a polished vintage watch. If its done right (and RSC will do it right, some independents don't do a good job) I think it is okay to give it a light polish. You can instruct them not to polish it if you don't want it done.

Old 5 December 2010, 10:37 PM   #11
HL65

My 1962 5512 Gilt is currently at Watchmakers Intl with Bob Ridley--who is better than pretty much anyone out there-including using RSC. He works on vintage watches and is considered among the best. I would also use SF Rolex-independent of RSC--Giovanni-I have seen his work and it is amazing too. To each his own I guess. I can tell you that none of the vintage collectors and top dealers I know use RSC. As for polish--don't do it--not even light. Just have them clean watch. You can polish the bracelet--but never the case! So--RSC for moderns--great independent for vintage in this man's opinion PS--Good independent watchmakers always use 100% Rolex parts as well and you can actually speak to them on the phone!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 5 December 2010, 11:18 PM   #12
PhilM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. View Post
Just needs a good polish and a new crystal.
The most this watch is a new crystal, nothing else, polsihing it will kill the value espeically as it looks likes it's never been polished before - you're an expert you should know that
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2010, 11:36 PM   #13
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Amazing watch and used the way it should be. Service and a new crystal and your good to go
Old 6 December 2010, 01:36 AM   #14
adam78
"TRF" Member

By the way, if it's been to a RSC twice, then it's likely already been polished at least once (the lugs look it, but perhaps that's from the low resolution pics). I'm with the others to urge that your friend (if he has it serviced) insists it is not polished again.
Old 6 December 2010, 01:38 AM   #15
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
My 1962 5512 Gilt is currently at Watchmakers Intl with Bob Ridley--who is better than pretty much anyone out there-including using RSC. He works on vintage watches and is considered among the best. I would also use SF Rolex-independent of RSC--Giovanni-I have seen his work and it is amazing too. To each his own I guess. I can tell you that none of the vintage collectors and top dealers I know use RSC. As for polish--don't do it--not even light. Just have them clean watch. You can polish the bracelet--but never the case! So--RSC for moderns--great independent for vintage in this man's opinion PS--Good independent watchmakers always use 100% Rolex parts as well and you can actually speak to them on the phone!
Bob Ridley has a wonderful reputation. I've not used him but have seen some of his work posted and people rave over his service. His prices are also more reasonable than RSC.

RSC (at least Dallas) generally won't work on watches more than 30 years old so vintage collectors more or less have to use an independent.

heylerds says his watch is 28 years old so RSC will service it. If he does not have the original papers I think its a good idea to at least have RSC service papers.