The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 18 June 2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Igerswis
"TRF" Member

Rolex DSSD vs Omega PO 9300

Hi everyone,

Had a rather spontaneous purchase the other day, ended up trading my Omega Seamaster PO Chrono for the updated 9300 model:

The idea being that the DSSD would be a more formal watch to wear to work, and the PO would be a casual wearer hence the orange colour. It's more 'fun' than having all dark coloured watches.

This new PO 9300 model is often compared with the Rolex DSSD, which I am also fortunate to have in my hands. What the comparisons don't often show are side by side photos, and as I have the opportunity to do so it would be rude not to.

As you can already see, they are both stupidly large watches, not just in diameter but in depth too. I wouldn't advise anyone to have either of these watches as your only watch, but in a collection they both have their place.

I'll start with the boxes:

The Omega box doesn't seem to be any different from my last PO model, however the Rolex DSSD box is much bigger than the Submariner's. At this price point I'd expect something pretty special as Omega did with some of their limited edition Speedmasters or Oris and Panerai have with their boxes. But all you get is a boring box and a cardboard outer dust cover.

The PO 9300 has been completely redesigned from the original. The most noticeable feature is the dial with the two sub dials instead of the traditional three. I wasn't keen on this design at first but it's growing on me.

The DSSD takes its design from the traditional Rolex sports watches but then gives it a dose of steroids. The case is much thicker and the bezel is ceramic. This particular DSSD has the version 2 dial which has more rounded 'S' letters amongst other small changes. As far as I'm aware there is now also a version 3 dial too.

[

Using some ancient kitchen scales (not sure how accurate these are), the PO weighs in at around 250g and the DSSD comes in at a surprisingly lighter 220g. Both watches have been sized for my tiny wrists (~6.75”) and these weights will increase or decrease depending on how many links you need in the bracelet.

Some side-by-side photos:

A common issue with the DSSD is the amount that the bracelet tapers from the watch to the clasp. As you can see the PO bracelet doesn't taper in anywhere near as much. The new PO has screws in the bracelet now and the clasp and divers extention have both been changed. The clasp is slightly smaller than the previos PO and the divers extention is easier to remove and push back in. However the DSSD has it's party piece, the Glidelock mechanism. I can't stress how amazing this design is and being able to adjust the bracelet length in 2mm increments during the day so easily really does make the watch much more comfortable to wear. The PO has no micro adjustments and only a half link helps to get the correct size. The DSSD clasp isn't just one piece either, the end is actually on a sprung mechanism.

The caseback of the DSSD is a two piece design, with the centre being made of titanium.

The PO has something that the last PO was missing, a display back. In my opinion this really does make the watch, as it allows you to view some of the in house movement when your bored.

As mentioned earlier, both watches are huge! The DSSD was already renowned to be stupidly thick, however the PO is slightly larger again:

The crowns and pushers have been updated on the PO and are much easier to grip, but the crown on the DSSD looks much better with its crown guards:

Both watches also feature a helium escape valve, however the PO is operated manually whereas the DSSD requires no intervention at all:

The only issue I have with the DSSD is the lack of an AR coating. There is always a reflection in the crystal, no matters what angle your looking at it from. The PO has a double sided AR coating and this makes the dial much easier to read in bright light:

The lume on both watches is pretty good too. Not overly bright but the colours are much nicer than the traditional green. In person the lume doesn't look as 'blue' as in the photos. The PO actually uses two different colours of lume.

There's plenty of tehcnical information online on both watches and their dimensions and movements, but I thought some side-by-side photos would be of interest to people.
Igerswis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2012, 07:02 AM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Very nice comparison write up!!...

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2012, 09:01 AM   #3
amvd
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
great job!
thanks!
amvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2012, 09:07 AM   #4
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Very useful info. Thanks for posting and also resizing the images.

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 02:01 AM   #5
JohnnyHathoway
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512TheRealMcQueen
Wow. I very much enjoyed this review. After reading your original DSSD, Sub and older PO I had hoped to find a comparison between the DSSD and the new PO 9300. Looks like you did too, but instead you went out and picked one up! This writeup just moved the PO 9300 to the top of my list. Thanks Irf!
JohnnyHathoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 03:01 AM   #6
Rodentman
Banned

Thank you for the splendid write-up!!

I have an appointment to see a PO at the AD on Friday. Not sure if I'll go chrono or not. The non-chrono is only about 1 mm thinner IIRC. And there's a hefty price diff. I DO want the 45.5 version however.

I looked at the DSSD when it first came out but as I have a 16600 I was quite happy with that.

Thanks again.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 03:07 AM   #7
jeffw69
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PO 8500
Ok, where is the drool smiley?
Gorgeous, both of them.
Wear in good health.
jeffw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 03:23 AM   #8
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
great review...
I like the change to the two sub-dial version of the PO, i especially like the new hands on the subdials!
just not sure i understand the redundancy of the timing bezel along with the chronograph?

excellent pics
Old 20 June 2012, 03:28 AM   #9
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Great pictures and comparison. I have a Seamaster 300M Diver Chronometer Titanium that I really like. I wear it when I think the watch may be in harms way.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 04:11 AM   #10
ralpie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This comparo is perfect. You addressed everything and it has great photos. Nice job!
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 04:33 AM   #11
psv
"TRF" Member

Great write up. Although I think the POC 9300 is even bigger in person, and sits higher on the wrist, than what appears in this excellent review. Thanks!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2012, 07:18 AM   #12
Igerswis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
Very nice comparison write up!!...
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvd View Post
great job!
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
Very useful info. Thanks for posting and also resizing the images.
Apologies for the original thread, I assumed the forum would resize them automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHathoway View Post
Wow. I very much enjoyed this review. After reading your original DSSD, Sub and older PO I had hoped to find a comparison between the DSSD and the new PO 9300. Looks like you did too, but instead you went out and picked one up! This writeup just moved the PO 9300 to the top of my list. Thanks Irf!
The new PO should be in everyone's collection. The movement is amazing and the watch overall is such an improvement it's on the same level as Rolex. Small differences such as a display back, screw pins and a four year guarantee all add up, not to mention the actual design and colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodentman View Post
Thank you for the splendid write-up!!

I have an appointment to see a PO at the AD on Friday. Not sure if I'll go chrono or not. The non-chrono is only about 1 mm thinner IIRC. And there's a hefty price diff. I DO want the 45.5 version however.

I looked at the DSSD when it first came out but as I have a 16600 I was quite happy with that.

Thanks again.
If you have a non chrono in your collection then definitely go for the chrono. There's no point in having several watches that are basically the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw69 View Post
Ok, where is the drool smiley?
Gorgeous, both of them.
Wear in good health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
great review...
I like the change to the two sub-dial version of the PO, i especially like the new hands on the subdials!
just not sure i understand the redundancy of the timing bezel along with the chronograph?

excellent pics
I still prefer the traditional three dials but I have a Speedmaster with that layout. The two dials are more difficult to read as the hour and minute hand can obscure each other on the same small dial. My LE Navitimer has a similar two dial layout, but the hands are in a different place making it much easier to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Great pictures and comparison. I have a Seamaster 300M Diver Chronometer Titanium that I really like. I wear it when I think the watch may be in harms way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralpie View Post
This comparo is perfect. You addressed everything and it has great photos. Nice job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Great write up. Although I think the POC 9300 is even bigger in person, and sits higher on the wrist, than what appears in this excellent review. Thanks!
I agree, both watches are HUGE. If either are going to be an only watch then I wouldn't recommend it. But in a collection they both have their place.
Old 21 June 2012, 08:30 AM   #13
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Very nice write up The Omega is a beast! I tried it on once but couldn't pull it off, not even close.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 08:16 PM   #14
ohm3144
"TRF" Member

Wow!! I am new here.

Thanks for an amazing review.
ohm3144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 08:33 PM   #15
How
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Tudor 1960
What a wonderful review; not to mention great photos too! Thanks, I really enjoyed that review. As a fellow PO 9300 + DSSD owner, welcome to the club!
How is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 09:54 PM   #16
Auragentum
"TRF" Member

Well done! Thanks for a very nice comparison with great shots!
Old 23 June 2012, 11:04 PM   #17
Igerswis
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the comments everyone :)
Old 24 June 2012, 01:47 AM   #18
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice review and photos!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 04:50 AM   #19
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Both are winners. Thanks Irf.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2012, 08:53 PM   #20
experimentjon
"TRF" Member

Thanks for taking the time to write up this review. I had not imagined how thick the 9300 was! Both look to be beautiful watches. And I actually like the look of the 2-subdial layout more than the 3-subdial layout because it looks cleaner. Also appears to be easier to read since you can read off a single subdial. Love the plounger hand accent too.

Fantastic pair of watches!
experimentjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2012, 04:12 AM   #21
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Excellent review.
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2012, 04:57 AM   #22
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Really enjoyed reading your write-up. Thanks for taking the time to put together and share.
Old 30 June 2012, 11:52 AM   #23
ToyCollector
"TRF" Member

Awesome pics and write-up.
ToyCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2012, 05:40 PM   #24
Mrpedigree
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
The omega is a nice watch but why does choosing one over a rolex feel like youve sold a rolls for an Audi ?
Mrpedigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2012, 05:45 PM   #25
hawktuner

Very nice job.
hawktuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2012, 12:00 AM   #26
erolorhun
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 14060M
Good job. Interesting to hear that there now exists a third variant of the Deepsea. Does anyone have some info on this?

automobiliana.blogspot.se
erolorhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2012, 08:13 AM   #27
rolexsport
Banned

Watch: 5513
good thread and pics... the dssd just seems to be an overall better designed watch...
rolexsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2012, 02:14 PM   #28
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Question: why does anyone want to buy a dssd if they are not going to dive deeper than the submariner can handle.

I find the watch - both Rolex and omega too bulky without a practical purpose.

Thoughts are welcome - and don't just say "it's good to know it can go 1 mile deep"
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2012, 07:06 PM   #29
Aimtac

Watch: 116660
Thanks for the amazing review!!
Aimtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2012, 11:28 PM   #30
Igerswis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimtac View Post
Thanks for the amazing review!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toplaw View Post
Question: why does anyone want to buy a dssd if they are not going to dive deeper than the submariner can handle.

I find the watch - both Rolex and omega too bulky without a practical purpose.

Thoughts are welcome - and don't just say "it's good to know it can go 1 mile deep"
When you buy a luxury timepiece, you don't buy it out of logical reasoning. It's bought out of emotion. The best comparison I can think of is when someone purchases a Ferrari or Lamborghini instead of a high end Mercedes, BMW or Audi. Nobody needs a car that is impractical, noisy, uncomfortable, inefficient, high maintenance, but people still aspire to wanting one.

Same goes for the majority of luxury watches. A much cheaper watch is more practical and accurate, but it just doesn't 'feel' the same as having something high end sat on your wrist.

The main reason I bought the DSSD over the Submariner, or even a used Sea-Dweller, is that my brother already has a Submariner and I'm not overly impressed with it. The DSSD is in a completely different league when you wear it. Yes it is bulky but thats part of its appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexsport View Post
good thread and pics... the dssd just seems to be an overall better designed watch...
The DSSD feels more solid, as the only thing that lets the Omega down are the loose end links

Quote:
Originally Posted by erolorhun View Post
Good job. Interesting to hear that there now exists a third variant of the Deepsea. Does anyone have some info on this?
There was a thread somewhere online but I can't seem to find it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawktuner View Post
Very nice job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpedigree View Post
The omega is a nice watch but why does choosing one over a rolex feel like youve sold a rolls for an Audi ?
When you put it like that, the Rolls has more prestige just like the Rolex, but the Audi is more technically advanced just like the Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyCollector View Post
Awesome pics and write-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
Really enjoyed reading your write-up. Thanks for taking the time to put together and share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
Excellent review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write up this review. I had not imagined how thick the 9300 was! Both look to be beautiful watches. And I actually like the look of the 2-subdial layout more than the 3-subdial layout because it looks cleaner. Also appears to be easier to read since you can read off a single subdial. Love the plounger hand accent too.

Fantastic pair of watches!
The 9300 is thicker than the DSSD and its a shame there isn't some sort of micro-adjustment for the bracelet. The half link isn't always ideal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgator View Post
Both are winners. Thanks Irf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-dweller View Post
Nice review and photos!