The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2015, 10:32 PM   #1
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Comfort or Looks?

Will you buy an AP purely for its looks but in reality feels uncomfortable wearing it? Or it's just a matter of getting use to? / putting up with?

Watch in question, the very popular and great looking Offshore RG44.

My heaviest watch so far, the 42mm SS Diver.

benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 10:36 PM   #2
texex91
"TRF" Member

For me the 44mm RG is BOTH extremely comfortable AND amazing looking, so pretty simple.

I have found with AP 44mm's you need the right strap (in my case short strap) for it to fit perfect.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 10:38 PM   #3
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
An uncomfortable watch will never get worn...........

It's very comfy for me Ben, what makes it uncomfortable?
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 10:52 PM   #4
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
An uncomfortable watch will never get worn...........

It's very comfy for me Ben, what makes it uncomfortable?
Too heavy Roger.
Old 22 June 2015, 10:53 PM   #5
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
For me the 44mm RG is BOTH extremely comfortable AND amazing looking, so pretty simple.

I have found with AP 44mm's you need the right strap (in my case short strap) for it to fit perfect.
Do you think changing to a Gp strap will help? A thicker strap to "spread" the weight so that its not so top heavy.
Old 22 June 2015, 11:16 PM   #6
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Do you think changing to a Gp strap will help? A thicker strap to "spread" the weight so that its not so top heavy.
I know we disagree on this, but do you have an H serial or I? Sold my H as it WAS uncomfortable and top heavy, bought I serial and super comfortable.

Don't know about GP strap, but certainly get the rubber short strap if you don't already have it.

If you swap watches often (say from that all ceramic) it does take a little getting use to.

Mine is so comfortable I can sleep with it on...that's on a 6.5" wrist.
Old 22 June 2015, 11:25 PM   #7
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know we disagree on this, but do you have an H serial or I? Sold my H as it WAS uncomfortable and top heavy, bought I serial and super comfortable.

Don't know about GP strap, but certainly get the rubber short strap if you don't already have it.

If you swap watches often (say from that all ceramic) it does take a little getting use to.

Mine is so comfortable I can sleep with it on...that's on a 6.5" wrist.

The watch is this pic is not mine but belongs to my friend Sam. Its a H series 26400. I actually prefer the I-series that you have as well mainly due to the vertical brush finishing on the ceramic bezel. The 26400OR in the above photo has a satin finish on the bezel.
Old 22 June 2015, 11:27 PM   #8
texex91
"TRF" Member

I can tell you if you get an 'I' serial, it will be super comfortable (with correct strap).

Go try on an I serial in SIN and let us know.

If it's not comfortable obviously just move on to another piece (Anthracite maybe).
Old 22 June 2015, 11:28 PM   #9
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Will you buy an AP purely for its looks but in reality feels uncomfortable wearing it? Or it's just a matter of getting use to? / putting up with?

Ben, I almost said on my IG post that this would be a perfect addition and almost a "collection finisher" piece for you - IMO.

If the suggestions from Paul and others here don't help make the watch more comfortable, I'd skip it. Any watch that wasn't comfortable on my wrist was flipped and flipped quick.

If it isn't comfortable just trying it on, it won't be after several hours on the wrist.

I hope you can find a way to make it comfortable, because that is one amazing piece.
Old 22 June 2015, 11:49 PM   #10
DECR
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AL&S,AP,Rolex
Fit and comfortability are important to me. I would not buy a watch that does not check this boxes even if I love the looks.

My suggestion, try making it work following the recomendations above, RG44 is truly an stunning piece. Good luck.
DECR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 12:02 AM   #11
Vipes
"TRF" Member

That is one of the best looking ROO. If it is too heavy or uncomfortable, I would pass.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 12:07 AM   #12
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
I would NEVER wear a watch if its uncomfortable or even buy a watch that i know isn't comfortable on my wrist.
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 12:08 AM   #13
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
That is probably my favorite ROO but even with a 7.5" wrist (I can wear 47MM Panerai no problem) I feel uncomfortable wearing the 44MM AP. The issue isn't so much the weight it is how bulky it is. It takes up all of your wrist width plus a good amount of airspace above it.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 12:28 AM   #14
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I have a 6.5in wrist and with the 44 cases, a XS strap makes it fit perfect. As for the weight, that's a very personal opinion...for me, I don't notice the weight much. It feels like any other precious metal watch for me.

With a Diver, I basically would forget it's on my wrist.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 01:34 AM   #15
APRolex
Banned

Watch: AP Perp Skeleton
Comfort ! I don't care how good looking the watch is.
APRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 01:53 AM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRolex View Post
Comfort ! I don't care how good looking the watch is.
Same here!

I have said it before and it's useless banter, if AP made this exact watch in a rolex sub sized package ( never ) I could buy it and wear nothing else for quite some time!

As is, I find it a bit heavy as I'm not really a PM guy at heart
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 02:20 AM   #17
Lemarp
"TRF" Member

I remember a while back when I got my first 'nice' watch (Omega Planet Ocean 45.5mm). I found it uncomfortable for a few days because of the sheer weight vs anything else I had worn previously (all quartz).

I now find it extremely comfortable. That said, if it was too large, I don't think it would ever feel comfortable.

Long story short: Going against the grain but I think you can get used to extra weight but if the size is too much, you may have a harder time adjusting.
Lemarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 02:34 AM   #18
sekihk
"TRF" Member

I would prefer having watches with different characters in the line-up. There're always some days in a month that you've the mood to pick it up and wear it no matter how you dislike about its weight.
sekihk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 02:44 AM   #19
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
One more thing Ben, the 44MM looks kind of big on you (just being honest) but if you really like it, who cares what I think.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 04:18 AM   #20
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I have the same dilemma with my new ceramic diver, I hope it's gonna be in my comfort zone, the 44 RG would not be for sure, but it's an awesome piece, but even the greatest of all watches if you can't wear it because too big or too heavy what's the point...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 06:22 AM   #21
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ben, check out the short rubber strap particularly the oem for Michael Schumacher Limited ... Super soft n good support. Love that slight grayish look too. Good luck
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 06:26 AM   #22
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Comfort is most important although if I don't like the looks it doesn't matter whether it's comfortable or not. Personally, I don't like overly top heavy watches.
rebel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 08:09 AM   #23
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

The 15020 gives you both.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 10:16 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would love to say looks and function mattered the most but if the watch is not comfortable or at least forgettable on my wrist then I can't keep it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 10:58 AM   #25
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can tell you if you get an 'I' serial, it will be super comfortable (with correct strap).

Go try on an I serial in SIN and let us know.

If it's not comfortable obviously just move on to another piece (Anthracite maybe).
Yes, they got one coming in my local boutique. Plan to try it soon! But as I understand, the weight difference is only like 10 grams? Not sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnd08 View Post
Ben, I almost said on my IG post that this would be a perfect addition and almost a "collection finisher" piece for you - IMO.

If the suggestions from Paul and others here don't help make the watch more comfortable, I'd skip it. Any watch that wasn't comfortable on my wrist was flipped and flipped quick.

If it isn't comfortable just trying it on, it won't be after several hours on the wrist.

I hope you can find a way to make it comfortable, because that is one amazing piece.
That's why I am going for it. It's a chrono ROO RG something I don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemarp View Post
I remember a while back when I got my first 'nice' watch (Omega Planet Ocean 45.5mm). I found it uncomfortable for a few days because of the sheer weight vs anything else I had worn previously (all quartz).

I now find it extremely comfortable. That said, if it was too large, I don't think it would ever feel comfortable.

Long story short: Going against the grain but I think you can get used to extra weight but if the size is too much, you may have a harder time adjusting.
That's also what I thought. The SS Diver always feels very heavy when i put it on for the first 1-2 hours but afterwards, my wrist kind of get use to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I have the same dilemma with my new ceramic diver, I hope it's gonna be in my comfort zone, the 44 RG would not be for sure, but it's an awesome piece, but even the greatest of all watches if you can't wear it because too big or too heavy what's the point...
Well, if I don't want / can't wear it, I can still look at it and take nice pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Ben, check out the short rubber strap particularly the oem for Michael Schumacher Limited ... Super soft n good support. Love that slight grayish look too. Good luck
Thanks. I will check it out! I am also very curious to know if the GP strap, being thicker, will help to spread out the weight and reduce top-heaviness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
The 15020 gives you both.
Yes and I already got one.
Old 23 June 2015, 11:16 AM   #26
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Looks amazing! You'll get used to the weight. As said, get the xs strap and you'll be fine. One of the nicest in my opinion.
Old 23 June 2015, 12:19 PM   #27
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Comfort or Looks?

I'd never wear an uncomfortable watch.

My RG 44 is very comfortable. It is an I serial and in the looks dept... Top notch!

Try the I - and if you don't find it comfortable for your wrist, don't buy it.

VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2015, 12:45 PM   #28
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
Comfort is most important although if I don't like the looks it doesn't matter whether it's comfortable or not. Personally, I don't like overly top heavy watches.
Of course it's a package, comfort and looks are equally important

Quote:
That's also what I thought. The SS Diver always feels very heavy when i put it on for the first 1-2 hours but afterwards, my wrist kind of get use to it.

Well, if I don't want / can't wear it, I can still look at it and take nice pictures.
Of course there's some getting used to but if it's not to much it should be ok.
You're right, just get it, who cares of you can't wear it, in 20 years you'll have a brand new AP and will post pics of your "new" piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICI View Post

My RG 44 is very comfortable. It is an I serial and in the looks dept... Top notch!
I don't get why for the same watch some say the H is not comfy while the I is, it's not EXACTLY the same watch? Or did they change something?
Old 23 June 2015, 12:53 PM   #29
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICI View Post

Try the I - and if you don't find it comfortable for your wrist, don't buy it.

Fabulous pic! Just about enabled me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I don't get why for the same watch some say the H is not comfy while the I is, it's not EXACTLY the same watch? Or did they change something?
It's the same watch. The I-series 26401 is slightly lighter due to some internal re-design.
Old 23 June 2015, 01:25 PM   #30
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fabulous pic! Just about enabled me...

It's the same watch. The I-series 26401 is slightly lighter due to some internal re-design.
OK, thanks Ben