The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 January 2008, 07:04 AM   #1
Cmfern
"TRF" Member

Icon20 watch stopped

Have really enjoyed the forum and have learned a lot. Bought a new submariner six months ago at an AD and everything was fine until today when I noticed it had stopped. I tried winding it but no luck. I haven't dropped or damaged the watch since I got it and have worn it everyday for the past six months, just taking it off to go to bed. Any thoughts.
thanks in advance for your help.
Cmfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2008, 07:07 AM   #2
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Just bring it in for a check-up, it comes with warranty
Old 10 January 2008, 07:09 AM   #3
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF!

Did you give it a full wind (like 40 turns of the crown)?

Anyway, as Frans says, your AD can have a look at it and will fix it quickly for you.

Good luck!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2008, 07:21 AM   #4
Cmfern
"TRF" Member

thanks for the quick responses. I think I did wind the watch correctly. Do you think its something they will be able to fix in the store or will it have to be sent out.
Old 10 January 2008, 07:25 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmfern View Post
thanks for the quick responses. I think I did wind the watch correctly. Do you think its something they will be able to fix in the store or will it have to be sent out.
Depends on the AD.

Some do not have Rolex contracted watchmakers on staff and are reluctant to open up a watch under warranty..

Don't want to be accused of damaging the watch...

Many, many things could have caused it to stop....most of them minor, and a few major...like a broken mainspring..

Old 10 January 2008, 07:28 AM   #6
Texsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSGMTc
Since your watch is under warranty, if it was mine, I would be more comfortable having RSC open it and look at it, than a local AD opening the watch.
Texsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2008, 07:29 AM   #7
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
If you're in NYC, you could take it directly to the Rolex Service Center there.

Hope you get it fixed quickly.
boa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2008, 09:26 AM   #8
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
If you're in NYC, you could take it directly to the Rolex Service Center there.

Hope you get it fixed quickly.
Yeah, that would be my thought as well. As Larry said some ADs are reluctant to open a watch that's on warranty.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2008, 09:36 AM   #9
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
Mine had its balance wheel fail at about six weeks out. It was a two-day fix, no problem, but the AD has a watchmaker in-house. If you're in NYC, I'd go to the "mountain". Probably quite the speedy repair! Best of luck, let us know how it turns out.

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2008, 09:42 AM   #10
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
Everyone has given you great advice. I say take it to the Rolex Service Center in NY to have it looked at since its still under warranty. I wouldn't recommend to have your local AD open the watch.

I'm sorry to hear about this happening. When it comes back to you from service though, the watch will be as good as brand new and will run great!!
-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2008, 09:51 AM   #11
Cmfern
"TRF" Member

thanks guys for all the advice. I bought the watch in NYC at Torneau. Is it worth having one of their watchmakers at their service center in the main store look at it. I know if I send it in to RSC it will take weeks to get back.
Old 10 January 2008, 09:53 AM   #12
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmfern View Post
thanks guys for all the advice. I bought the watch in NYC at Torneau. Is it worth having one of their watchmakers at their service center in the main store look at it. I know if I send it in to RSC it will take weeks to get back.
Do you live near the RSC over there?

Its on Fifth Avenue in NYC, I say if you are close by, take it to them in person. That way, the work can probably be done all while you're in there in that same day.
Old 10 January 2008, 10:07 AM   #13
Cmfern
"TRF" Member

sounds like a good idea. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for the help
Old 10 January 2008, 10:14 AM   #14
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

You're welcome! Let us know how it turns out.

Their address if Im not mistaken is:

Rolex Watch U.S.A., Inc.
665 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY, 10022

Phone: (212) 758-7700

While youre in there, its really nice too since you can get to talk and interact with the personnel. People on here have said nothing but good and friendly things about the personnel there.
Old 29 January 2008, 12:43 PM   #15
Cmfern
"TRF" Member

I sent my 6 month old sub to RSC NY a little over two weeks ago after it stopped working and got a call today from the local AD who was kind enough to send the watch to RSC for me even though I bought the watch at Tournea in NYC. According to Rolex, my watch incurred impact damage, which the warranty does not cover, with damage to the crown and tube. I'm pretty obsessive about the watch and I know the watch has not had any trauma to it. Rolex also mentioned that there were several scratches on the watch(who's watch doesn't have a few scratches). They informed the store that they would reduce the normal fee of $420 to 280 and would also have to charge me $60 for a new crown and $39 for a new tube for a total of $379. What choice do I have? They currently have the watch and I obviously have no where else to take it to get fixed without voiding the "warranty". This just seems wrong to me. I purchased a rolex sports watch designed to be worn everywhere, took meticulous care of it and I'm now told I damaged the watch. I plan on calling RSC directly tomorrow but I'm not optimistic. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 29 January 2008, 02:12 PM   #16
Texsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSGMTc
The quoted price for the service seems fair. If you are not satisfied, you can always ask for the watch to be sent back without anything done, then go to a local watchmaker to have it repaired, prob. at lower cost. May be the AD can help you in locating a watchmaker, either on staff or locally.
Wife's SS WG MOP Ladies DJ Z series
Texsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2008, 02:18 PM   #17
Cmfern
"TRF" Member

I'm not questioning the cost of the repair, but rather the claim by RSC that the work is not covered by the warranty. Any thoughts out there by the rolex gurus?
Old 29 January 2008, 04:07 PM   #18
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

I would call them directly and ask to speak to a manager or supervisor. Be nice. I always hate when a customer calls me to have service work done by my business and starts by chewing me out. Like now I'm real motivated to help you after you called me names? NOT! I would see if you can either get them to fix it 100% under warranty or offer a bigger discount. Unfortunately all watch makers warranties have fine print and none of them cover shock damage. Hopefully you will get them to cover it..Good Luck.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2008, 04:20 PM   #19
Cyberpipm2000

Watch: Bluesy
well, I can say rolex knows what their doing. i'm not trying to call you out on anything bud, I just want to say rolex can tell what is defect and what is not. I mean they are pro's at this as they are rolex. if the watch worked fine for 6 mo and they recieve it back with some major signs of wear, they will question the damage. Rolex warranty doesn't cover damage. only defect. any damage you want to be covered under warranty you would have to make a really good point to them for Rolex to pick up the repair cost.

now maybe you could have twisted the crown or left it open or caused damage to it without even knowing it as the crown is very sensitive. But if this damage was a defect from rolex, Then you would see signs right away of the damage and not 6 mo down the road.

Rolex watches are very very strong watches and can take a certain amount of abuse, but they, like everything, have their limits. Rolex already cut the price in half, I really don't think they will do anymore as they are rolex. I have been in similar standings before and it ended the same way... they charged me half of the normal cost. I even wrote a note to the VP and he wrote me a note back saying "We have already dropped the service cost down by half and should not have even done that. We cannot go any lower under cost then what we aready have for you."
Cyberpipm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 03:00 PM   #20
Cmfern
"TRF" Member

Just got my SS sub back from the NY RSC after about five weeks. They were extremely helpful and after I called them, they reduced the charges to about 100.00 for a new crown and tube. When I picked up the watch at the AD, the Rolex rep was in the store and was very friendly. Only problem now is when I got the watch originally, it was running about 1-2 secs fast a day. I've had the watch now for two days and it seems to be running about 6 secs fast a day. What to do now?
Old 1 March 2008, 10:25 PM   #21
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
well this is a great question: 1) why did they charge you a dime? it's a new watch under warranty..did they tell you they found the problem was misuse of their product? i mean they ARE really nice at the NY RSC(was just there this week), but why the $100.00 charge? and 2) Is six(6) seconds a day out of COSC standards? the answer tells you what type of reception you will get at the RSC..if outside COSC I would insist they get it right free of charge, and then ask them, 'BTW why did I get charged $100 in the first place for fixing a watch under warranty for the next two years? I would be fascinated by knowing their response.
best, dan
p.s. here's a link on COSC standards. damn if i can figure it out...looks like your new rolex is out of COSC standards range, but not sure:http://www.timezone.com/library/wbor...33384647656250

Last edited by unclesallie; 1 March 2008 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: additional info
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 11:25 PM   #22
Gil F.

Watch: Sea-Dweller
I'd definitely get it re-regulated. I would say that if Rolex noted damage to the watch, they probably know what looks like acceptable wear and tear (and they would know how new your watch was) and what appeared to be impact damage rather than a mfg. defect. You may disagree with their opinion, but it seems like you got a very good result that they almost gave you the non-warranty work for free. I know it's tough not having your watch for 5 weeks ... I've been there with my new SD having had to send it to RSC twice for not running within COSC specs. I don't think it is unreasonable for you to expect your watch to be zeroed in so that it keeps excellent time ... they will do this work for free in this case. Since you're right in NYC, just walk it in and they will do it quickly. It's worth a trip to save you a couple more weeks without your watch.
Gil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 04:48 AM   #23
Cmfern
"TRF" Member

thanks guys for your advice. They felt that the watch stopped working (the watch is only seven months old) due to impact damage but I honestly did not remember dropping the watch. They said therefore it was not covered by the warranty and initially quoted me a price of 380. When I called, they were very nice and reduced the charge to 100 for the cost of a new crown and tube. If I go to the RSC, will they re-regulate the watch while I wait and if so how long does that usually take?
Old 2 March 2008, 07:05 AM   #24
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
IMO another good reason to carry supplemental insurance on your jewelery. At around $10-$11 bucks a thousand it would have paid for itself in this instance alone.
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote