The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 June 2019, 09:11 PM   #1
17noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Rolex Sports Models Ratio @ Grey Dealers

Hey everyone, this has been bugging me recently while I was on a search for my next Rolex.

I travel around a lot, and obviously I don't encounter SS or even a lot of PM sports models from ADs. I do see a ton of Brand New models from Batman, Pepsi, Hulk, Subs, Daytona, you name it from grey dealers. Literally dozens of the same models on full display.

That said, I wonder what is the ratio of these watches held up in grey dealers vs on the wrist of consumers (and I'm sure there are consumers who never wear them, rather locked up in a safe somewhere).
17noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 09:16 PM   #2
jcleventhal
"TRF" Member

Good question. It has to be significant, especially if you go to the diamond district in NY. Every 10 feet you can find troves of these "impossible to get " pieces.

I will say. This gets plenty of wrist time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
jcleventhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 09:19 PM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17noir View Post
That said, I wonder what is the ratio of these watches held up in grey dealers vs on the wrist of consumers (and I'm sure there are consumers who never wear them, rather locked up in a safe somewhere).

What?

Over what period of time?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 09:32 PM   #4
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Well, first off, if you wanted a ratio it would have to be the ratio of certain references in the secondary market vs. the ratio of certain references on peoples wrists — even then I would think that you would be surprised at the result - and it swing towards watches in peoples wrists.

These watches are mass produced, in the hundreds of thousands (likely minimum) — x number of release years. The (pure) math puts the watches on peoples wrists. You just don’t (can’t) ‘see’ that, but social media and the internet (and some store fronts) put it in plain sight - and it seems like it could have significance.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:17 PM   #5
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I concur with Roger. Yes, it does appear that there are thousands available just on 47th street, but the reality is that it's probably not a hundred in total compare to the hundreds of thousands that Rolex cranks out every year.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:49 PM   #6
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Same thread, different name. Groundhog day on this forum.

Barring a significant global economic downturn, the supply situation ain’t gonna change. Get used to it fellas...
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 11:45 PM   #7
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

With Rolex allocation of 2-4 SS BLROs, 2 SS sky dwellers,... to each AD per year, I doubt economic down turn would make any difference.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 12:23 AM   #8
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
I would say most grey’s have multiples of each hard to get model in stock. Just watch “watch recon”, when one is sold another is up in short order.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 04:43 AM   #9
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
I would say most grey’s have multiples of each hard to get model in stock. Just watch “watch recon”, when one is sold another is up in short order.
Yup! And the next one is more expensive.
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote