The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 14 October 2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Seiko Orange Monster . . . should I ???

Good day all,
With all the hype about how durable (not to mention cheap) the Seiko Orange Monster is (the SKX781) I figured I'd give my Omega a rest, and wear it as a full time beater watch. Now, the question I have is, where is a good place to get it (BNIB?). I first tried my AD, and they said they could get one for me for $317 plus CT sales tax. Needless to say I walked out laughing. I think my best bet is Amazon, BNIB for $198.
So, what do you all think, should I get a Seiko Orange Monster for a daily beater ? I've read nothing but good things about this watch, and I've never owned a Seiko before, so just wondering what to expect.

Thanks !
Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 10:53 AM   #2
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
I have a SEIKO beater... I wear it to work.. Actualy just took it off. They are nice watches that you dont have to worry abouth scratching up and what not... I say go for it...
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Duc-904
"TRF" Member

Great watch for the money! Check Ebay. I bought mine from a high volume seller in Singapore. Brand new minus any box or paperwork was $115.
Duc-904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Considering that I am not a big fan of Orange watches, I will keep my mouth shut, except to say there are a lot of nicer colors out there.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Well, I did it. After doing a quick search here, and after watching the Youtube review of the Orange Monster (by Watchreport, who did a VERY good review of the watch), I bought it. I got it for a hair over $200 (which included next day air) to my door. Should arrive by the 14th, or 15th the latest. I can't wait till it gets here :)
Old 14 October 2008, 02:39 PM   #6
cmr
"TRF" Member

i have an orange, and a blue one both on ss. i have the rubber straps for them but don't like a car tire on my wrist. they are great watches and you can use the lume for a flash light. they run fast, have no hacking function and you cannot wind them so you will have to get used to that but it doesn't bother me.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 07:07 PM   #7
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr View Post
i have an orange, and a blue one both on ss. i have the rubber straps for them but don't like a car tire on my wrist. they are great watches and you can use the lume for a flash light. they run fast, have no hacking function and you cannot wind them so you will have to get used to that but it doesn't bother me.
Pull the crown all the way out, put a little back pressure on it and it will hack
Old 14 October 2008, 07:57 PM   #8
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Pull the crown all the way out, put a little back pressure on it and it will hack
i am seriously wondering if the orange and blue have the same movement in it because i can do that to the orange one, i can even make it run back wards if i get the pressure just right. the blue one will not do it no matter how i try. the yellow and red ones do have a different movement in them and i am pretty sure my blue has the same movement as those. the red and yellow also have a sapphire crystal with a date mag. i think the blue one does have the sapphire crystal but no date mag. the orange and black have mineral glass with some kind of hard-ex coating according to seiko. i have 2 friends with orange and black ones and i can hack them also but my blue is a no go.

i can say this, they are great watches and tough as a brick not to mention cool looking. i wore my blue one when i picked up my gmt2c and the 2 rolex reps that presented me with it freaked out when they saw it. they knew it was a thailand only release and wanted to know how i got it. i was very surprised they knew what it was, they knew all about it. there are 300 yellow, 1310 red, 1,800 (i think) blue, the orange and black are normal production. my orange had the day in spanish and english, since the blue was thai only it has roman numerals and english.

one word of warning to the op about these. they are like lay's potato chips, you can't have just one. the good news is they don't cost alot. everybody i know that has bought one has bought at least one more in a different color. lol

Old 15 October 2008, 11:29 PM   #9
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Wow, cool photo !
Mine should arrive tomorrow or Monday. I can't wait to get it !
Old 16 October 2008, 12:34 AM   #10
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Wow, cool photo !
Mine should arrive tomorrow or Monday. I can't wait to get it !
sweet i just bought a seiko because of this thread- was going to go for the monster but bought this instead
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=007

enjoy

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2008, 01:10 AM   #11
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
sweet i just bought a seiko because of this thread- was going to go for the monster but bought this instead
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=007

enjoy

Cool looking Seiko :) Let us know when you get it, I'd love to hear comments about that model as well (the bezel looks very much like that of a GMT watch) cool ! I'll also post when mine arrives.
Like I said, this will be my first Seiko, and since (due to recent market/economic problems) really cannot justify getting a $6K+ Rolex at the moment, this Monster should last me for many years.
Old 16 October 2008, 01:49 AM   #12
toph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cool looking Seiko :) Let us know when you get it, I'd love to hear comments about that model as well (the bezel looks very much like that of a GMT watch) cool ! I'll also post when mine arrives.
Like I said, this will be my first Seiko, and since (due to recent market/economic problems) really cannot justify getting a $6K+ Rolex at the moment, this Monster should last me for many years.
I look forward to it

Yeah I will post pictures too

I sold a rolex and bought a Panerai but it is not getting delivered for another 4-5 weeks so i had to get something to fill the void

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
Old 16 October 2008, 03:39 AM   #13
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it should last you a life time just like a rolex if it is maintained. seiko has a service center to have it serviced and or repaired so there is no reason it won't.

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!!!

Old 16 October 2008, 04:07 AM   #14
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it should last you a life time just like a rolex if it is maintained. seiko has a service center to have it serviced and or repaired so there is no reason it won't.

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!!!
I'll post up some pictures on this thread as soon as it comes in. I had it shipped via. UPS 2nd day air. Their tracking (heck, I'm so used to the USPS "tracking system" (it just tells you that the person got the package basically) is LIGHT years ahead of USPS's. They even give you an anticipated arrival date. According to UPS, my watch should be here tomorrow. I've never posted pictures on this site before, so I'll do my best on getting them on for all to see.
I can't WAIT for it to arrive, I'm like a little kid on Christmas lol. Actually the watch is a birthday gift from my parents (I turn 23 on the 23rd lol). They asked me what I wanted, and I just replied "SEIKO ORANGE MONSTER !!!!" lol. They were like "a WHAT ???" lol
My father has an old Bulova and Seiko (both dress watches) that he's had for 30+ years. One of his Seiko's is (so he claims) one of the first Seiko auto's, it's a big square/rectangular shaped face it says "DX 17 jewels" on the face, and is many years old. It's still going strong to this day.
Old 16 October 2008, 04:54 AM   #15
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'll post up some pictures on this thread as soon as it comes in. I had it shipped via. UPS 2nd day air. Their tracking (heck, I'm so used to the USPS "tracking system" (it just tells you that the person got the package basically) is LIGHT years ahead of USPS's. They even give you an anticipated arrival date. According to UPS, my watch should be here tomorrow. I've never posted pictures on this site before, so I'll do my best on getting them on for all to see.
I can't WAIT for it to arrive, I'm like a little kid on Christmas lol. Actually the watch is a birthday gift from my parents (I turn 23 on the 23rd lol). They asked me what I wanted, and I just replied "SEIKO ORANGE MONSTER !!!!" lol. They were like "a WHAT ???" lol
My father has an old Bulova and Seiko (both dress watches) that he's had for 30+ years. One of his Seiko's is (so he claims) one of the first Seiko auto's, it's a big square/rectangular shaped face it says "DX 17 jewels" on the face, and is many years old. It's still going strong to this day.
post some pictures of those also!!!!!

don't be surprised that your monster runs fast. that seems to be normal for the way they adjust that movement at the factory, i don't know why. i have seen both of mine run up to 15 seconds fast in 24 hours. it takes them about 3/6 months to settle in. both of mine still run about 10 seconds fast but it doesn't bother me enough to send them in yet. i am just going to wait until they need service and let them handle it then.

you can't wind them but the rotor winds the watch spinning either direction where most watches just wind in one direction and spins freely in the other. just swirl it around in your hand for about 30 seconds, set the time and date and put that bad boy on. within about 3 hours of normal activity it is fully wound.

always remember, do not set the day and date between 10:00 and 2:00. it will cause a gear clash and mess up the movement. i always set all of my watches to 6:00 to set day and date just to be safe.

Old 16 October 2008, 06:19 AM   #16
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Cool, thanks for the info :).
I'll try to get a picture up of some of the watches.
Thanks again !
Old 16 October 2008, 09:14 AM   #17
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
i am seriously wondering if the orange and blue have the same movement in it because i can do that to the orange one, i can even make it run back wards if i get the pressure just right. the blue one will not do it no matter how i try. the yellow and red ones do have a different movement in them and i am pretty sure my blue has the same movement as those. the red and yellow also have a sapphire crystal with a date mag. i think the blue one does have the sapphire crystal but no date mag. the orange and black have mineral glass with some kind of hard-ex coating according to seiko. i have 2 friends with orange and black ones and i can hack them also but my blue is a no go.

i can say this, they are great watches and tough as a brick not to mention cool looking. i wore my blue one when i picked up my gmt2c and the 2 rolex reps that presented me with it freaked out when they saw it. they knew it was a thailand only release and wanted to know how i got it. i was very surprised they knew what it was, they knew all about it. there are 300 yellow, 1310 red, 1,800 (i think) blue, the orange and black are normal production. my orange had the day in spanish and english, since the blue was thai only it has roman numerals and english.

one word of warning to the op about these. they are like lay's potato chips, you can't have just one. the good news is they don't cost alot. everybody i know that has bought one has bought at least one more in a different color. lol
I just have the black one. Bought it on the bracelet and wore it for two years like that. Ordered o Seiko OEM rubber strap for it in the spring and love it even more now. Matter of fact I wore it to work the last three days.

I've seen the orange in person and it doesn't really smile at me that much. Maybe a blue one next. The problem is finding one.

You really can't beat these watches
Old 17 October 2008, 09:15 AM   #18
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Well, just got my Seiko Orange Monster in the mail today, and I must say, this watch is GREAT !!! The lume is INCREADABLE !!! SUPER watch all the way around. Now my father wants one lol (but with the rubber strap). The bracelet was a PITA to fit, but other then that this watch is great. I would take pictures of it, but my only choice for a camera right now is my Cell Phone, so here it is (I know, TERRIABLE picture, but that's all my cell phone's got lol). All in all, probably the best watch I've ever bought for the money. And, like I said, my father (who also LOVES watches) loves this so much, he wants one for himself. So, let's see how she'll hold up to being on my wrist 23.5 hours a day now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seiko.jpg (45.1 KB, 169 views)
Old 17 October 2008, 12:31 PM   #19
cmr
"TRF" Member

i knew you would be surprised and impressed with the watch. for the money you can't beat these. for you father in law i would suggest you buy the watch with the ss bracelet and buy the rubber strap extra. the rubber is cheap and it is the same price if you buy it on rubber as it is for ss. the ss bracelet is much more expensive if you buy it later.

wear it well and let us know when you buy the black one! it's just a matter of time!!!!! lmao

Old 17 October 2008, 06:02 PM   #20
toph
"TRF" Member

Great Stuff Mike!! enjoy it. I also got mine today,Seiko Automatic Diving 200- SKX009K2- here are a couple of pics, one next to the GMTIIC for a comparison. I am also extremely impressed by the size, feel, design and the quality
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seiko 1.jpg (40.7 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg seiko 2.jpg (57.4 KB, 156 views)

Member No.# 11795
Old 17 October 2008, 08:38 PM   #21
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Nice watch ! That Seiko practically dwarfs the GMT lol :)
Old 18 October 2008, 01:27 PM   #22
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i knew you would be surprised and impressed with the watch. for the money you can't beat these. for you father in law i would suggest you buy the watch with the ss bracelet and buy the rubber strap extra. the rubber is cheap and it is the same price if you buy it on rubber as it is for ss. the ss bracelet is much more expensive if you buy it later.

wear it well and let us know when you buy the black one! it's just a matter of time!!!!! lmao
Thank you :)
I would love the black monster to go along with my orange monster, however I think I'm going to have to give my "new watch" collection a break for a bit. Sometime next year I'll probably get one. Like I said, I know I'll be ordering my father one sometime next month. I'll also try and convince him to get it with the bracelet instead of the strap.
So far, I've been wearing the OM for one full day, and she's gained about 5 seconds. Not too shabby so far :) Now I just have to wait until the weather gets warmer so I can take it swimming I've gotten a few comments on it already :) Also, compared to Seiko's other dive watches I've researched (some called the "tuna", the highly more expensive "Darth tuna", etc.) which cost several hundred dollars more (which I'm sure those watches are also a very good value for thier price range), this watch is almost too good to be true.
Old 18 October 2008, 01:44 PM   #23
cmr
"TRF" Member

the genuine seiko rubber strap i bought on ebay for my orange monster came from malaysia and it was .99 and 3.00 shipping. buy it with the ss bracelet and get him the rubber strap off ebay.

Old 18 October 2008, 08:47 PM   #24
Mike B
"TRF" Member

WOW ! That's cheap ! Ok, that's what I'll do then.

Thanks again for all your help !
Old 19 October 2008, 01:22 AM   #25
ColinB
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Submariner
Nice watches guys
Being a bit more of a cheapskate I just bought a Lorus to wear at work (although my 10 year old son is eyeing it up, maybe on a shortened nato?). Here is a wristshot and one comparing my Sub date and Tudor Sub with it.
It's quartz but for £25!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic-041.jpg (77.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg pic-042.jpg (85.9 KB, 84 views)
Old 19 October 2008, 12:08 PM   #26
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Wow, that Lorus is one stunning watch
If one looked quick enough, you could easily mistake that watch for a Submariner.
Old 19 October 2008, 12:24 PM   #27
toph
"TRF" Member

for £25 that seems a real Bargain!! it fits in perectly with the others

Member No.# 11795
Old 20 October 2008, 07:44 AM   #28
ColinB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, that Lorus is one stunning watch
If one looked quick enough, you could easily mistake that watch for a Submariner.
I wonder how many people will be squinting at my Lorus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
for £25 that seems a real Bargain!! it fits in perectly with the others
I think I will start collecting cheap Sub lookalikes. I can justify cheap ones.
Old 20 October 2008, 08:24 AM   #29
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Like it!

Put it on a NATO!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 05:56 PM   #30
ColinB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisquitlips View Post
like it!

Put it on a nato!
ok
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nato-003.jpg (134.3 KB, 61 views)