The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 14 March 2016, 09:27 AM   #1
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

SEIKO Gen 1 military on the ground

No circle T here. P is for Promethium, the radioactive material used in the lume. Seiko military watch model Gen 1 Chronograph issued by the British MoD, produced specifically by Seiko for RAF pilots and navigators. Matte finish case, inside is the excellent 15-jewel, quartz 7A28 Seiko movement powering the flyback chronograph. Functions include split times and 1/10 sec sub-dial, as well as second and minute sub-dials. As required by the MoD, the watch is fitted with fixed strap bars so takes one piece straps only. Apparently rated 100m water resistant. The case back of this one traces it to 1988 and carries issue numbers and the broad arrow symbol. The case is just 37mm and is also quite thin so it's a fast and light little watch. I'm not into military paraphernalia but this seems a very workmanlike piece of kit in general. Running nicely too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (120.7 KB, 419 views)
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 10:09 AM   #2
BlackBay1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Many congrats and wear it in good health.

I have one of these which was left to me by my Dad who was an Air Electronics Officer on the Avro Vulcan (amongst other aircraft) in the RAF.

Picture of it with my other watches attached and if you look at my Avatar you will see it with his display team flying suit.

Whilst I kept the watch, I have loaned the suit to the Vulcan to the sky trust and it is on display with the last Vulcan to fly XH558 at Robin Hood Airport in the UK.

Not sure if the link will work were you are, but the gent being interviewed at about 6mins 10 secs is my Dad. Once again, enjoy the watch

http://youtu.be/5ryja4RQOCQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.5 KB, 409 views)

Seiko RAF Gen 1 Chrono
Black Bay Red
Submariner 114060
Daytona 116520
BlackBay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 10:29 AM   #3
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBay1 View Post
Many congrats and wear it in good health.

I have one of these which was left to me by my Dad who was an Air Electronics Officer on the Avro Vulcan (amongst other aircraft) in the RAF.

Picture of it with my other watches attached and if you look at my Avatar you will see it with his display team flying suit.

Whilst I kept the watch, I have loaned the suit to the Vulcan to the sky trust and it is on display with the last Vulcan to fly XH558 at Robin Hood Airport in the UK.

Not sure if the link will work were you are, but the gent being interviewed at about 6mins 10 secs is my Dad. Once again, enjoy the watch

http://youtu.be/5ryja4RQOCQ
That's very good of you, have you ever seen a Seiko Vulcan, it's a pretty rare piece, I've never seen one in the flesh. My dad served in the 2nd AIF in New Guinea and has an old Hamilton that he got from an American soldier as a trade for a couple of bottles of beer! He gave it to my brother, pretty funny he collected a few bits and pieces like that. They were tough times, small luxuries meant a lot. So whilst I'm not so much into military paraphernalia I do like many of the stories that go along with.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 06:47 PM   #4
BlackBay1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
That's very good of you, have you ever seen a Seiko Vulcan, it's a pretty rare piece, I've never seen one in the flesh. My dad served in the 2nd AIF in New Guinea and has an old Hamilton that he got from an American soldier as a trade for a couple of bottles of beer! He gave it to my brother, pretty funny he collected a few bits and pieces like that. They were tough times, small luxuries meant a lot. So whilst I'm not so much into military paraphernalia I do like many of the stories that go along with.
I've only seen the Seiko Vulcan online, that's the yellow dial Chrono isn't it? I'm not sure if the stories about them are true or not but sometimes it's good to maintain the myth.

Interesting to hear of your Dads background. Can you share pics of the Hamilton? I'd be interested to see it. I'm away the moment but once I have better access to things I'll upload a couple more pics.

I feel very fortunate to have the watches I have, but if I could only keep one it would be the Seiko.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't like to paint it.

Seiko RAF Gen 1 Chrono
Black Bay Red
Submariner 114060
Daytona 116520
BlackBay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 03:18 AM   #5
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
beauty! congratulations.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 03:25 AM   #6
VaRobot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mark IV Red Sub
Saw the Vulcan at SAC in Omaha, Nebraska in the early 70's Cool Plane.

Cool Watch!
VaRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2016, 07:01 PM   #7
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Nice piece, congrats
Old 19 May 2016, 02:22 AM   #8
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
Absolute stunner...congrats