The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2024, 07:22 PM   #1
Aspirin
"TRF" Member

Blue parachrom hairspring

Are there any fans or professionals here can help to figure out this watch whether equipped with the blue parachrom hairspring? Thanks!

Explorer II 16570,
Calibre 3186,
Purchase Sep 2010,
Case no.0544xx,
Aspirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 07:39 PM   #2
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
3186 would indicate as much. There's the 'wiggle test' to check. All 3186s have the blue hairspring to my knowledge.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 08:40 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirin View Post
Are there any fans or professionals here can help to figure out this watch whether equipped with the blue parachrom hairspring? Thanks!

Explorer II 16570,
Calibre 3186,
Purchase Sep 2010,
Case no.0544xx,
The parachrom hairspring was first introduced in the Daytona with the inhouse cal 4130 way back in 2000 but back then it was more of a grey colour. So if this parachrom hairspring was so wonderful why did it take many years to introduce it to the complete Rolex range. Simple answer cost to tool up, as they were using the nivourax hairsprings made by the swatch group then.But when they stated they would no longer supply parts outside the group Rolex was forced to finally make in vast production there own hairsprings. Your watch will have a parachrom hairspring but no big deal, as for a parachrom hairspring well that's just a hairspring.And like all hairsprings perform basically the same and in the real world would doubt if you would find any real benefit no matter the hairspring in the case. As long as any watch is regulated correctly it will be as accurate no matter the hairspring afraid there is nothing magical in a parachrom except now its made in house and a very very very tiny bit less magnetic.

3130 base without date, now some later models reported with parachrom.
3131 parachrom
3132 parachrom and paraflex shock system
3135 base with date
3135 Subc parachrom
3136 parachrom bleu and paraflex shock system
3155 base with date & day
3156 parachrom bleu and paraflex shock system
3185 base with date and GMT function
3186 parachrom bleu
3187 parachrom and paraflex shock system
4130 Chronograph Parachrom started 2000 but then a more grey colour now parachrom bleu which is done by some chemical prosses to turn it blue
4160 parachrom.
9001 parachrom.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 08:49 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
3186 would indicate as much. There's the 'wiggle test' to check. All 3186s have the blue hairspring to my knowledge.
The wiggle test have nothing to do with the hairspring with the cal 3185 for one full crown turn time zone hand would jump around 5 hours on the 3186 around 8 hours.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 19 January 2024, 09:04 PM   #5
Aspirin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The parachrom hairspring was first introduced in the Daytona with the inhouse cal 4130 way back in 2000 but back then it was more of a grey colour. So if this parachrom hairspring was so wonderful why did it take many years to introduce it to the complete Rolex range. Simple answer cost to tool up, as they were using the nivourax hairsprings made by the swatch group then.But when they stated they would no longer supply parts outside the group Rolex was forced to finally make in vast production there own hairsprings. Your watch will have a parachrom hairspring but no big deal, as for a parachrom hairspring well that's just a hairspring.And like all hairsprings perform basically the same and in the real world would doubt if you would find any real benefit no matter the hairspring in the case. As long as any watch is regulated correctly it will be as accurate no matter the hairspring afraid there is nothing magical in a parachrom except now its made in house and a very very very tiny bit less magnetic.

3131 parachrom
3135 base with date
3135 Subc parachrom
3186 parachrom bleu
4130 Chronograph Parachrom started 2000 but then a more grey colour now parachrom bleu which is done by some chemical prosses to turn it blue
4160 parachrom.
9001 parachrom.
Thanks Padi, as all we know that they're enlarge all their so-called advantages for the commercial purpose, it's not difficult to find it out from infant milk to gasoline.
Aspirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 09:23 PM   #6
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
The wiggle test have nothing to do with the hairspring with the cal 3185 for one full crown turn time zone hand would jump around 5 hours on the 3186 around 8 hours.
I know. It's a good way to check for a 3186 though in these late models. And with the 3186 comes the blue spring the OP's after.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 09:37 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
I know. It's a good way to check for a 3186 though in these late models. And with the 3186 comes the blue spring the OP's after.
And today many pay extra for the 3186 god knows why, expect because the internet dictates them as so called rare. I would rather have a 3185 any day over the 3186 as it had quite a few faults that the 3185 never had.Same for the so called mistake or stick dial GMTs on the net they were stated as having a 3186 inside. And many paid the high prices that dealers were charging for 3186 watches only to find that many of these dials still had a 3185 inside.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 19 January 2024, 11:25 PM   #8
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
And today many pay extra for the 3186 god knows why, expect because the internet dictates them as so called rare. I would rather have a 3185 any day over the 3186 as it had quite a few faults that the 3185 never had.Same for the so called mistake or stick dial GMTs on the net they were stated as having a 3186 inside. And many paid the high prices that dealers were charging for 3186 watches only to find that many of these dials still had a 3185 inside.
What were the differences or faults between the -85 and -86 movements?

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 01:12 AM   #9
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:

3131 parachrom
3135 base with date
3135 Subc parachrom
3186 parachrom bleu
4160 parachrom.
9001 parachrom.
Well, that settles that.
Old 20 January 2024, 01:28 AM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlesorusLEX View Post
What were the differences or faults between the -85 and -86 movements?

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk
Early 3186 had date change problems but rectified later by Rolex main difference was the detent gear in the 3186.That gave slightly better second time zone settings for one full crown turn 3185 second time zone jumped around 5 hours while 3186 jumped around 8 and that's it but myself would still take a 3185.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 20 January 2024, 01:41 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Early 3186 had date change problems but rectified later by Rolex main difference was the detent gear in the 3186.That gave slightly better second time zone settings for one full crown turn 3185 second time zone jumped around 5 hours while 3186 jumped around 8 and that's it but myself would still take a 3185.
Peter, I’m interested … can you please expand on this, I’m not quite following.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 02:01 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Peter, I’m interested … can you please expand on this, I’m not quite following.
It was the spring on the date slide cam caused the date to stick Rolex rectified and fitted many warranty claims with a stronger spring.But it's no better or more accurate than the 3185 so myself would choose a 3185 over the 3186, there are a few very minor differences in the 3186 over the 3185,but many parts are interchangeable.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 20 January 2024, 02:04 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
It was the spring on the date slide cam caused the date to stick Rolex rectified and fitted many warranty claims with a stronger spring.But it's no better or more accurate than the 3185 so myself would choose a 3185 over the 3186, there are a few very minor differences in the 3186 over the 3185,but many parts are interchangeable.
Thank you Peter
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 04:45 AM   #14
wm82
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thats pretty much totally incorrect, date function is exactly the same as on 3135. They didnt change that spring.

It was a redesign of the spring on the intermediary GMT wheel that could snap in two.
I too prefer the 3185 though, a nicer design. There are quite a few parts that differ though including both top movement bridges.

If you send a rusted up 3185 for movement exchange today, you will get a 3186 back from rolex, as they no longer manufacture complete 3185s. So overpaying for a 3186 is kind of foolish tbh.
wm82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 12:52 PM   #15
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Thanks Padi.

GMT II 126719 Meteorite + GMT II 126710BLRO + Daytona 116500LN (White) + Submariner 16610LV + Explorer II 16570 Polar
+ Submariner 116610LV + GMT II 16713 Rootbeer + Sky-Dweller 336934 (Blue) + GMT II 16710 (Pepsi & Coke) + Sea-Dweller 116600

2FA Security Active
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 01:40 PM   #16
daysky1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirin View Post

Explorer II 16570,
Calibre 3186,
Purchase Sep 2010,
Case no.0544xx,
https://www.rolex.com/en-us/watchmak...tures/movement on the 2nd url play the video to see the action of the over coil on the hairspring https://www.rolex.com/en-us/watchmak...tory/precision

Last edited by daysky1; 21 January 2024 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: adding 2nd url
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 05:06 PM   #17
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wm82 View Post
Thats pretty much totally incorrect, date function is exactly the same as on 3135. They didnt change that spring.

It was a redesign of the spring on the intermediary GMT wheel that could snap in two.
I too prefer the 3185 though, a nicer design. There are quite a few parts that differ though including both top movement bridges.

If you send a rusted up 3185 for movement exchange today, you will get a 3186 back from rolex, as they no longer manufacture complete 3185s. So overpaying for a 3186 is kind of foolish tbh.
I agree with Peter

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...92&postcount=1

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 08:27 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysky1 View Post
https://www.rolex.com/en-us/watchmak...tures/movement on the 2nd url play the video to see the action of the over coil on the hairspring https://www.rolex.com/en-us/watchmak...tory/precision
At one Rolex had a video with the case back off,with a big magnet dangling close to the hairspring.What this means in the real world,if you don't wear your watch with case back off with a magnet dangling over the movement .Then again in the real it's doubtful if anyone would notice any difference no matter the name or make of hairspring in the case.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 28 January 2024, 08:18 AM   #19
wm82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post

Huh, that article just proves what I said, but it doesnt even show the new design of the click spring, which has nothing to do with the date.

Ive serviced 100s of these :) I know a ton more about it than "Peter"
wm82 is offline   Reply With Quote