The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 6 June 2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Adam608
"TRF" Member

OEM Assolutamente care

I have a PAM423 for a few months now which came with the OEM Assolutamente calf leather strap.

I have been really careful with it and never wear it when there is a risk of damage or dirt but the nature of the finish has changed somewhat from new. The leather is now a little more shiny and darker due to having lost that suede finish it had when new. It now looks more like a normal leather strap albeit with a satin finish.

This is probably just down to it just picking up natural oils when being touched as it is still otherwise in great condition but I have to say I prefered how it looked when new.

I am sure they all do this, but is there any way of treating or cleaning the strap to restore that new "suede" finish?

Thanks
Adam608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 03:08 AM   #2
Friedl41
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes
Good question. I want to know it, too.
PP 5065a
Friedl41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 03:54 AM   #3
RUpanerai
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam Patek Rolex AP
Try using a pencil eraser and get the fibers to stand up straight again... this is a quick tactic but nothing will bring it back to the "new" look.
RUpanerai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Adam608
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUpanerai View Post
Try using a pencil eraser and get the fibers to stand up straight again... this is a quick tactic but nothing will bring it back to the "new" look.
Thanks - Just tried that but unfortunately the effect is minimal at best. The fibers are not even revealing themselves let alone standing up again.

I've considered dabbing it with a wet clean cloth but I'm reluctant to even do that for fear of making it worse or even shrinking / stiffening the leather.

Any other ideas?

On hindsight I wish I had sprayed it with rain guard before the first time I wore it - but then I never really expected it to change like this.

Hmmm - I wonder about using either:

A Suede Restorer Brush
or
Suede Nubuck Cleaning Spray
Old 6 June 2013, 08:15 AM   #5
HRFdez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day-Date
What about using a steel brush? Just do it very softly and without pressure. I think it could work, but just be careful.
HRFdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 08:46 AM   #6
advocatia
Banned

Watch: PAM 422 GMTIIC
No no no. Dont do anything. It is supposed to change as it ages. Thats what that strap does. Risits love it. If you try to restore it you are more likely to make it worse. If it no longer appeals to you store it and treat yourself to something new. At an op boutique one day they showed me a new one and an aged one and they looked like two completely different straps.
advocatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Adam608
"TRF" Member

Well I gave it a VERY VERY light brush treatment with one of these today:

and the result was very pleasing indeed. I would say it is now 90% back to original condition and colour - now looking pale tan again and having some texture, as apposed to being a medium/dark brown smooth leather that it had become.

I'm happy and can recommend this route, but I would also caution taking your time and brushing as lightly as you possibly can as the strap is far more delicate than shoes that these brushes are designed for.