The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 October 2011, 02:01 AM   #1
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Is there a stigma attached to owning Apple products?

I have noticed on this and other forums that posters when discussing Apple products will make it know that they don't care for the products or something similar. I don't see this with other products, cars appliances and so forth. I don't know much about computers, own no electrical gadgets, listen to AM radio so I'm out of the loop with this sort of thing.

Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 02:06 AM   #2
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
I have noticed on this and other forums that posters when discussing Apple products will make it know that they don't care for the products or something similar. I don't see this with other products, cars appliances and so forth. I don't know much about computers, own no electrical gadgets, listen to AM radio so I'm out of the loop with this sort of thing.

Apple fanaticism can be a little too much for some just like the fervent dedication to the Rolex brand might turn off those who don't subscribe to it's superiority.

All I know is my macbook pro runs like a stolen Ferrari and that works for me.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 02:16 AM   #3
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Apple fanaticism can be a little too much for some just like the fervent dedication to the Rolex brand might turn off those who don't subscribe to it's superiority.

dP
It IS interesting to me how both can be like a religion to some....
Old 9 October 2011, 02:54 AM   #4
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

No negative stigma generally, but the implication is that one is technically trendy and up to date.
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 02:57 AM   #5
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Not really a stigma, just that there are some SERIOUS Apple fan boys who basically think EVERYTHING sucks other than their Apple stuff. My I.T guy is like this and it annoys the crap out of me.

I'm a business person so I have to use Microsoft products because thats what the world uses.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 03:14 AM   #6
zak98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
use both.. on my macbook air right now. microsoft products at work. both have good and bad qualities. they are all just tools, for work or play.
Panerai PAM390
zak98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 03:19 AM   #7
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Not really a stigma, just that there are some SERIOUS Apple fan boys who basically think EVERYTHING sucks other than their Apple stuff. My I.T guy is like this and it annoys the crap out of me.

I'm a business person so I have to use Microsoft products because thats what the world uses.
I didn't know this. I have 2 Apple computers at home and the 2 kids have Apple computers at college. Don't know why that's just what we have. I only use the computer to go to forums, the newspaper that sort of thing.
Old 9 October 2011, 03:22 AM   #8
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I use both as well. Apple provides a much more enjoyable experience for me. Besides, their customer service is second to none.
Old 9 October 2011, 03:30 AM   #9
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Generally yes.
And generally I don't like Mac users but.......I'm one of them. I'm on my new MacBook Air now and this Lion is one heck of a thing,seriously.
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 03:30 AM   #10
Actsulb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II (Coke)
I don't think there is any stigma attached, they are great products and I agree wi the earlier post that their customer service is top notched. I have owned Apple products for 6 years and will continue to be a loyal Apple fan.

A Crown for Every Achievement
Actsulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 03:34 AM   #11
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

I stay away from their products as they are a constant reminder to me that I sold my Apple stock in 98' at pre adjuusted splits for $15
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 03:35 AM   #12
tattooedfagin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red
i always seemed to have issues with my previous laptop (PC), running slow & other hair pulling problems and, not being an IT person i always had to go asking for help, i've been with Apple now for over 5 years & they do exactly what i need it to do, it work's for me & computing Apple = less stress

TRF Hall of Fame
tattooedfagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 03:35 AM   #13
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post

dP
Well put
Old 9 October 2011, 03:40 AM   #14
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
Generally yes.
And generally I don't like Mac users but.......I'm one of them. I'm on my new MacBook Air now and this Lion is one heck of a thing,seriously.
Why would you not like someone because of the computer brand that they use?
Old 9 October 2011, 03:45 AM   #15
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSnyder View Post
Well put
+2
Well said.
Love my iPad.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 04:32 AM   #16
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Quote:
Why would you not like someone because of the computer brand that they use?
Right. Maybe it's because of my years spent in San Francisco....
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 04:34 AM   #17
snowbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Not sure there's a stigma, but there are some folks that think everything Apple makes is the best, and how could someone even consider another brand . . . that can be a little tiresome.

The products themselves are great (though in some cases overpriced IMO).
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 04:38 AM   #18
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn't know this. I have 2 Apple computers at home and the 2 kids have Apple computers at college. Don't know why that's just what we have. I only use the computer to go to forums, the newspaper that sort of thing.
You can run Microsoft Excel, Word, etc, but you have to use a special Windows set up for Mac and that kinda defeats the purpose of owning a Mac if you are still going to run Windows in the background. The business world is 99% Windows. I have found more artistic/musical type people use Mac's for their business because of its superior graphics and software for this kind of work.
Old 9 October 2011, 04:39 AM   #19
speedo
"TRF" Member

Watch: dj 16234, 116610ln
i don't care about the brand of my fridge, dishwasher and equally don't have any affection for my computer. when i bought a new one i considered apple but it was exactly twice as expensive as anything else in the same category.

instagram: modus_horologicus
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 06:05 AM   #20
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I don't think there's a stigma, but when the computer clueless ask me which computer to buy, I tell them to buy a Mac.

They'll pay through the nose for it, but at least they won't come whining to me when they get malware or the completely incompatible software they load on the thing causes it to run slow and freeze up.

I'm not against Apple, but I don't like the way they control every aspect of every device. That works for some. It doesn't work for me.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 06:38 AM   #21
rkot07
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, DD, DJ II
I see it as buying the Rolex of computers. With pc's my friends are complaining in no time about viruses. I currently own several apple products and I love them. My iMac was getting old and wanted the newer one but couldn't come up with a reason to get rid of it since it worked like new, so I gave it to my dad to justify the new purchase.
rkot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 06:46 AM   #22
LostInTime
"TRF" Member

I think there used to be a stigma around Macs, but this is fading as they are gaining popularity outside of the artist/coffeeshop crowd.

With other Apple products such as the iPhone, there does not appear to be a stigma since every other person seems to own one.
LostInTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 07:15 AM   #23
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Love Apple products myself! iPad, iMac, iPhone etc...all Apple here and no stigma!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 07:17 AM   #24
CashGap
"TRF" Member

It's the twenty year old generalities that get me...

"Macs are too expensive", when you hear that one, you'll know they haven't checked in a decade. Macs are less expensive than comparable products, and have actual resale values. Now, I agree... you can get an absolutely craptastic $349 laptop at Staples most of the time, and you can't get a Mac at that price. Mmmm, I love when you can hear the circuit board traces flexing when you pickup the laptop! "Comparable" is the key word, you aren't going to find a product of such poor quality in the Apple store. A laptop will start at $999, with features that will cost you $999 from the competition, at least. Unfortunately, a year later the one year old $999 Dell will only sell for $200, compared to $600 for the Mac after a year.

"Too much control", that tells you that the speaker sees instability as a revenue source, earning a living supporting uncontrolled environments.

Etc.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 08:00 AM   #25
conrail
"TRF" Member

They are well made products, so I don't think there is a bad stigma attached to the products themselves, its quality stuff - but sometimes the owners of Apple products put themselves up on pedestals of superiority for no good reason. It is also apparent that many Apple owners will buy the products just b/c it says Apple on it, but cannot explain the superiority of the particular item as compared to a similar product. Thus comes the idea that Apple can put its name on a pile of shit and charge $599 and it will sell out.
Old 9 October 2011, 08:17 AM   #26
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

I should also preface that I am the CFO of a technology company (and a large law firm). Nothing wrong at all with Apple products. It's just some of the fan boys that irritate me,
Old 9 October 2011, 08:22 AM   #27
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
No offence to anyone, but some see Apple users as pretentious and self absorbed. Apple products aren't genuine tools, but are silly diversions. They are shiny "got to haves" that eat up money and time and allow some to prove how hip they are.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 08:23 AM   #28
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

I love the software but the quality of the hardware for 3 times the price of other brands to me is garbage. I have taken apart a few apple laptops and they use the same junk that you see in all other brands. Take away the beautiful asthetics and your left with an overpriced toshiba or acer.
gwozhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 08:30 AM   #29
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
Personally I hate the Fan boys most. 99% of all Mac users don't know the specs of their machine and how it stacks up to a PC, only that it's "cool" to have one so that makes the product superior. Yes they might look slick, but that's about it.

I love the ones that still say Mac's are the end-all-be-all for graphics. I know several people in clothing design, architectural design, TV and Film production (film on the big stuff) and all but 1 uses the PC for their daily work.

To me Mac is like Absolut Vodka, it sells because it's in a nice wrapper and has phenomenal marketing. At the end of the day not many people figure out it's mediocre at best.

One thing i do like, is that once the new model of something comes out the Apple fan patrol deems you subhuman if you're using the "OLD" model.....sheep...baaaaaaa
Breitling: And some of these.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 08:32 AM   #30
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
I love the software but the quality of the hardware for 3 times the price of other brands to me is garbage. I have taken apart a few apple laptops and they use the same junk that you see in all other brands. Take away the beautiful asthetics and your left with an overpriced toshiba or acer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
No offence to anyone, but some see Apple users as pretentious and self absorbed. Apple products aren't genuine tools, but are silly diversions. They are shiny "got to haves" that eat up money and time and allow some to prove how hip they are.
Well said boys!!
Breitling: And some of these.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote