The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 August 2021, 10:07 PM   #1
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Proliferation of double sealed watches is crazy. Does Patek have recourse?

This morning I saw Patekaholic’s Instagram story on the topic, and I also stumbled upon this: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTCTkRWD...dium=copy_link

Does Patek not care about these trangessions, of ADs letting go of double sealed watches? Also curious why this is even a policy, and whether other brands (AP, Rolex etc.) follow suit?
Vince_76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 11:52 PM   #2
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
This morning I saw Patekaholic’s Instagram story on the topic, and I also stumbled upon this: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTCTkRWD...dium=copy_link

Does Patek not care about these trangessions, of ADs letting go of double sealed watches? Also curious why this is even a policy, and whether other brands (AP, Rolex etc.) follow suit?
If I’m not mistaken, this picture is at least couple of years old. Since then it’s been policy to unseal watches upon purchase.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 01:22 AM   #3
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrira View Post
If I’m not mistaken, this picture is at least couple of years old. Since then it’s been policy to unseal watches upon purchase.
My first few Pateks they let me keep the packaging. If I wanted to, I could have walked out with a double sealed watch. I felt back then that the AD was being lazy.

Open it and size my watch.
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 02:03 AM   #4
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post

As others have said, old photos before the rules were changed.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 02:29 AM   #5
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

there definitely have been posts of double sealed of models produced after the rule change. not sure why ADs risk it but i guess to appease their big big big time collectors. i guess i'll know i've made it in life when they do that for me.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 02:38 AM   #6
AvGeek
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
there definitely have been posts of double sealed of models produced after the rule change. not sure why ADs risk it but i guess to appease their big big big time collectors. i guess i'll know i've made it in life when they do that for me.

Are they really big big big time collectors if they turn around and flip that double sealed box?
AvGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 02:46 AM   #7
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

very true, even more of a question why an AD then would let these out.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 03:07 AM   #8
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek View Post
Are they really big big big time collectors if they turn around and flip that double sealed box?
I am assuming these guys spent a lot on Patek when prices of watches didn't do what they do now or bought pieces that aren't ss.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 04:12 AM   #9
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

There are general rules for regular Patek customers and different rules for the whales.

For most of us regular Patek customers, ADs will open the watch and size it for you and will no longer give the box the watch came in.

For the whales, let's just say the rules are different. Some of these whales are real collectors who spend upto a $1mil or more a year on Patek watches. And there are some whales that are resellers that the AD know, who can help the AD get rid of their left over inventory.

My assumption is that Patek Geneva knows that some ADs sell double sealed watches and just let them be as the AD is a big seller and Patek needs the AD in that part of the world.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 07:24 AM   #10
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
As fellow WUS friends said, few years ago things where different
most watch collectors didn't think of themselves as investors..
the goal was to get a watch you love..
MSRP where reasonable..
the waiting for most watches including SS was few months (not Grand-Complication)..
and most collectors where excited to get their piece (after waiting few months) and couldn't wait to wear it and enjoy it

the above dynamic all changed when collectors started thinking of themselves as investors first, which has been rather recently
Old 27 August 2021, 11:46 PM   #11
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

A few years back, 2010-2018, when I used to visit 47th st in NYC on a regular basis, the grey market dealers in Patek preferred double sealed Pateks and traded them like commodities. If you spoke to them about it they would tell you what models to buy and to try to buy multiples and to keep one double sealed for investment. I had dealers tell me to do this, particularly with 5980/1a, any 5711, 5960/1a. It seemed ridiculous to me, at the time, but a few of them showed me their personal collections of double sealed Pateks and they wouldn't sell them if I offered to buy them which I did on a few occasions.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 11:24 PM   #12
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Crazy for ADs to release watches to anyone double sealed given PP strict rule prohibiting this. Odd though, as so many other brands are delivered at retail basically un-opened from the factory. A new watch should be exactly that, and the buyer should have the privilege of unwrapping it. Plus, it is such a shame for the ADs to throw the transit boxes away as large collectors can easily store and quickly identify their watches in them. The same way Stern does in NY if you have seen the photos.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote