The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 October 2012, 02:41 AM   #1
stones
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Really Bummed about my Malfunctioning Rolex

Thought I would post this in case any of you have experienced a similar problem.

I purchased a YM new back in Feburary of 2011. I wear the watch almost daily (skipping only an occasional day on the weekends) and have never damaged or abused it in any way. This weekend I was wearing the piece and discovered that it had stopped. I attempted to manually wind the watch and it started again for a short period of time before stopping again.

Normally it is not really necessary for me to manually wind the watch based on my wear. I have noticed however that it does not seem to hold a full wind for the 36 hours as stated in some of the information I have read since I have owned it.

The YM is only 18 months old and now I am sending it for service. Have any of you had a similar problem? Really concerned as I shouldn't be having this type of problem.
stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 02:57 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Not much consolation but that is what a warranty is for.

I had a similar thing happen to my JLC Master Calendar at 6 months. Sent it in, got it repaired and it has been perfect ever since (6 years).

Enjoy it when it comes back.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 03:00 AM   #3
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
It happens. Just take care of it and put it behind. No point stressing about it.
Old 10 October 2012, 03:06 AM   #4
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
Yep, had the exact same problem with my 116610LN (Sub C) at just over a year of ownership. It never seemed to have the greatest power reserve but eventually it quit holding even 4-6 hours when it was off the wrist with a full wind. In to RSC Dallas it went and has been functioning fine since. The watch is currently back at RSC Dallas for a 3rd time, the second two times have been because bracelet issues. Sorry to hear about that but know the service center will make it right and you'll have your watch back in around 4 weeks.
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 03:07 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stones View Post
Thought I would post this in case any of you have experienced a similar problem.

I purchased a YM new back in Feburary of 2011. I wear the watch almost daily (skipping only an occasional day on the weekends) and have never damaged or abused it in any way. This weekend I was wearing the piece and discovered that it had stopped. I attempted to manually wind the watch and it started again for a short period of time before stopping again.

Normally it is not really necessary for me to manually wind the watch based on my wear. I have noticed however that it does not seem to hold a full wind for the 36 hours as stated in some of the information I have read since I have owned it.

The YM is only 18 months old and now I am sending it for service. Have any of you had a similar problem? Really concerned as I shouldn't be having this type of problem.
Well first you fully wind your watch 40 full crown turns clockwise only that will fully wind the mainspring.And it depends on whatever the power reserve has in the mainspring for how long a watch runs.Even when worn if say not active perhaps at a desk job you will only put power back into the spring for say a few hours.Then when not worn that power reserve soon runs down,so you start wearing again but the mainspring has low power reserve hence it stops.Even if worn you should give a full wind say once a week,now on a full manual wind your watch should run between 39-48 hours off wrist.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 03:17 AM   #6
stones
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well first you fully wind your watch 40 full crown turns clockwise only that will fully wind the mainspring.And it depends on whatever the power reserve has in the mainspring for how long a watch runs.Even when worn if say not active perhaps at a desk job you will only put power back into the spring for say a few hours.Then when not worn that power reserve soon runs down,so you start wearing again but the mainspring has low power reserve hence it stops.Even if worn you should give a full wind say once a week,now on a full manual wind your watch should run between 39-48 hours off wrist.
Yes, I do have a desk job and am cognizant that at times that might not be sufficient to wind the watch completely. I have been pretty diligent in winding the watch manually at least 1 - 2x per week. This issue became apparent over the weekend.

I have already contacted service and will get it in ASAP. I guess more of a disappointment than anything. Will have to go with the Tag in the meantime.

Thanks for your posts on my situation.
stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 04:44 AM   #7
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Yep, it happens unfortunately. I agree it should never be with such a high priced Item, but it is a machine. Sorry for you Pal, but hope its right very soon.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 06:09 AM   #8
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Sorry to hear of your problem, but as already noted, that's why there are warranties and Rolex has one of the best, if not the best, in the business.

No mechanical device is perfect nor is any human endeavor, so just thank you lucky stars that it's a Rolex and once fixed, it will be everything a Rolex purports to be.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 06:12 AM   #9
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Sorry to hear of your problem, but as already noted, that's why there are warranties and Rolex has one of the best, if not the best, in the business.

No mechanical device is perfect nor is any human endeavor, so just thank you lucky stars that it's a Rolex and once fixed, it will be everything a Rolex purports to be.
Bingo!!!!!!! Perfectly said. Things do sometimes break. It's a pain but as said its why you have a warranty. It's covered and Rolex will make it right. Don't let life's little issues bother you. IMHO it's way to short.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 06:14 AM   #10
77T

If fully winding the watch doesn't produce normal operation, then hopefully the RSC is swift in their remedy.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 09:57 AM   #11
dannyp
Banned

Again, probably of little consolation, but when I got my PP 5065 in '05 I had something similar happen after only a month! In that instance, I was told a full overhaul would be needed and the jeweler ordered me a new watch instead. In the intervening 7 years I've had to have the current one serviced twice, though.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 11:32 AM   #12
joe100

Watch: Explorer
Your yachty will be right as rain in short order
Old 10 October 2012, 07:42 PM   #13
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

A friend's wife had the same problem with her brand new, mid-sized steel YM which stopped working after 6-7 months. Rolex fixed it pronto though so here's no need to worry. It's now been 5 years and it's going as well as ever.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 07:48 PM   #14
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

I had the same problem with my Sea-Dweller, It just stopped during a spearfishing contest (luckily I wasn't on SCUBA). I sent it to be repaired, got it back 12 weeks later and a week after that it happened again. This time it was under warranty though. If Rolex or anyone produced perfect watches then they wouldn't need a warranty anyway. Just remember sh*t happens and sometimes it happens to you.
Old 10 October 2012, 07:49 PM   #15
superlollo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well I have a desk job, too and after the first month I stopped manually winding my subC once a week.
I've been wearing it almost daily for the past months (only taking it off at night and for the occasional sunday BBQ) and it never stopped.
This is to say that even being a desk diver it's not really necessary to wind the watch every week. Mine has been keeping perfect time, too, gaining about 1 second a day
superlollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 08:02 PM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlollo View Post
Well I have a desk job, too and after the first month I stopped manually winding my subC once a week.
I've been wearing it almost daily for the past months (only taking it off at night and for the occasional sunday BBQ) and it never stopped.
This is to say that even being a desk diver it's not really necessary to wind the watch every week. Mine has been keeping perfect time, too, gaining about 1 second a day
Yes thats quite possible but it still will do no harm whatsoever to still give it a full manual wind once a week.This keeps the tiny bit of oil around the winding stem and winding mechanism. And stops many of the crown related problems,plus keeps the mainspring at full power reserve.Most even when worn will only put back whatever the reserve was in the mainspring to start with. So it might run for say 10-15 hours or a bit longer off wrist, but very doubtful it will run to full power reserve 48 hours.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 08:18 PM   #17
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

RSC will sort it out - sorry to hear, but it will be good as new.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 08:26 PM   #18
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
RSC will sort it out - sorry to hear, but it will be good as new.
Even better . . . . ;-)

Good luck

HAGOne

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote