The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 November 2023, 02:57 AM   #1
cossmobs
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Finally got the call! 126713GRNR

Hello guys!
This will be my first post suiting for my first Rolex!
After waiting 6 months for either the root beer or the 126713GRNR, I finally got the call for the second one. It was out of the blue actually, I hoped it will come at a later point where I am more stable financially.
Out of fear of rejecting them I bought the watch not realising it’s not my dream one. (Only because it’s not the best decision for everyday watch for me. A SS model would be a better match but I thought it’s impossible to get the call for one).

I am afraid that the new TT GMT II will loose a lot of value at this point, even at a retail and since it’s not my favourite it might be a good idea to resell it now, even without a profit. What’s your opinion, is it worth it to keep it? What do you think it’s the future of this model, is it considered a hard to get piece? Or is it just a better idea to resell it, keep the cash and buy a grey market SS in a month or two if the prices fall more?

I will be happy to hear your thoughts! Thank you for the understanding!
cossmobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 03:45 AM   #2
rcambrid
"TRF" Member

Do you like it and want to wear it? If so, you should keep it. If you’re looking for an investment, you should try a mutual fund.
rcambrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 03:49 AM   #3
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Welcome to the forum.

Your post explains why there is still a problem sourcing new watches from ADs for a lot of people. Folks are apparently still buying watches they do not really want, thinking they can just re-sell them.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 03:54 AM   #4
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

If you sell it today, you'll probably get $17 - $18k as a private owner brand new. I derived this value from looking at listings on Chrono24 and removing the 6% fee. You'll probably just about break even. I would do it now if you're planning to do it. You never know if the price will rise or fall, but right now you know you'll break even most likely.

Curious why you bought a TT as a first Rolex? Also it's pretty cool you were offered a GMT as a first watch. If money is not an issue I would keep it, but it sounds like it was not a financially sound decision to begin with, so I'll sell and learn from it.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 04:49 AM   #5
cossmobs
"TRF" Member

I do like the watch! I just didn’t have the opportunity to see that it’s not the exact everyday match. Money is not an issue at the moment, the expected financial&watch market crisis it’s what concerns me. If we remember the times before covid this one should be around 10k€ I guess, that’s the thing.

I didn’t know it’s that rare opportunity to buy GMT because it’s a TT.
Old 10 November 2023, 05:21 AM   #6
Gva1985
"TRF" Member

Not the greatest first post…
Gva1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 05:54 AM   #7
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Funny that the AD even considered you. Please sell the watch immediately so that it will find someone who really wants it and who will like it. And best of all, the AD will never sell you a watch again, which is completely perfect, as guys like you have spoiled the fun of this beautiful hobby for many people in recent years out of speculation and greed for profit.
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 05:57 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Everything wrong with watch collecting today in one post

Welcome.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 05:59 AM   #9
Miker86
"TRF" Member

You’ll get a lot of harsh replies to your post but my honest advice would be to sell the watch if you cannot financially afford it. If you’re hoping to make money on this model I would suggest that will not be doable, secondary sellers will give you nowhere near a fair price.
I would also put your name down for a cheaper Rolex that you can afford as you now have purchase history and consider this a life lesson.
Miker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 06:03 AM   #10
Miker86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMercedes View Post
Funny that the AD even considered you. Please sell the watch immediately so that it will find someone who really wants it and who will like it. And best of all, the AD will never sell you a watch again, which is completely perfect, as guys like you have spoiled the fun of this beautiful hobby for many people in recent years out of speculation and greed for profit.
Grow up.
Miker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 06:54 AM   #11
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Don’t buy a watch you both don’t want and weren’t financially ready for…
Tylerlsu2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 07:12 AM   #12
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Your post explains why there is still a problem sourcing new watches from ADs for a lot of people. Folks are apparently still buying watches they do not really want, thinking they can just re-sell them.
+1
Great point
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 08:04 AM   #13
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39, SeaQ
Not worth keeping if you don’t like it, no watch is. But this watch is so awesome, definitely worth keeping if you like it. It’s not under the radar, nor is it flashy. It’s the perfect step up from SS IMO.
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 08:05 AM   #14
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39, SeaQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerlsu2008 View Post
don’t buy a watch you both don’t want and weren’t financially ready for…
+1
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 04:12 PM   #15
Sylt
"TRF" Member

So much for a first post and purchase. Really if you like it and can see it on your wrist then shoot for it.
Sylt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 04:38 PM   #16
learningtofly
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hmmm...
Personally I think that's a beautiful watch, and I'd be keeping (and loving) it. I have the Sub equivalent, but would swap in an instant.
Old 10 November 2023, 05:23 PM   #17
garg
"TRF" Member

From a pure valuation perspective, the value of that watch has been trending down since launch and should continue to drop further. It's a new model (so no concerns about shortage or being discontinued), and the watch whilst being nice, is not as desirable as the ss models.

If your watch is unworn, you might be able to get back what you paid or about 5% loss.

If you have used the watch, subtract another 10-15% from that figure.

To sum it up, if you like the watch, keep it. It's nice to own something direct from an ad. If you don't like the watch, then the earlier you sell it, the higher price you should be able to fetch.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
garg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 05:28 PM   #18
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Welcome.
Couldn’t agree more
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 06:40 PM   #19
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
My friend, I think the best advice that I can give you is “buy and keep what you love”, and “what you can afford”. If you regret the purchase, or can’t afford it, sell it immediately. Perhaps the AD would purchase it back and re-sell as a used watch?

Seems you already established this watch is not for you given your doubts. This is unlikely to change with time. Don’t feel bullied or pressurised to buy trinkets you don’t love or need in the name of developing a “relationship” with the AD.
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 10:04 PM   #20
cossmobs
"TRF" Member

Thank you! Finally someone who can understand it a bit more. With all of the hate comments I start thinking of keeping the watch and enjoying it, even if it's not my daily one.
Rolex was always a dream to me, I am not the guy who will start doing this only to make profit.
Just want to know your views on the market for this model in the future and the watch in particular. At one point it looked like a way too easy to get watch. Or maybe I am just lucky!
Old 10 November 2023, 10:07 PM   #21
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cossmobs View Post
Hello guys!
This will be my first post suiting for my first Rolex!
After waiting 6 months for either the root beer or the 126713GRNR, I finally got the call for the second one. It was out of the blue actually, I hoped it will come at a later point where I am more stable financially.
Out of fear of rejecting them I bought the watch not realising it’s not my dream one. (Only because it’s not the best decision for everyday watch for me. A SS model would be a better match but I thought it’s impossible to get the call for one).

I am afraid that the new TT GMT II will loose a lot of value at this point, even at a retail and since it’s not my favourite it might be a good idea to resell it now, even without a profit. What’s your opinion, is it worth it to keep it? What do you think it’s the future of this model, is it considered a hard to get piece? Or is it just a better idea to resell it, keep the cash and buy a grey market SS in a month or two if the prices fall more?

I will be happy to hear your thoughts! Thank you for the understanding!
So you put your name in for 2 TT models, received one, and now think TT wasn’t the right decision.

-I get that you thought you wouldn’t get the call for a SS model, so why bother putting your name in for a TT and just spend the funds on a pre-owned SS watch
-I do understand getting one in your hand, or wearing for a bit and not bonding with it.
-I personally would keep it, I really like that one and think TT is fine for daily wear, and definitely like it more than the root beer.
-sell it and use the funds for a SS model, or make a trade to a trusted seller for a SS piece.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 10:09 PM   #22
cossmobs
"TRF" Member

Thank you! Finally someone who can understand it a bit more. With all of the hate comments I start thinking of keeping the watch and enjoying it, even if it's not my daily one.
Rolex was always a dream to me, I am not the guy who will start doing this only to make profit.
Just want to know your views on the market for this model in the future and the watch in particular. At one point it looked like a way too easy to get watch. Or maybe I am just lucky!
Old 10 November 2023, 10:12 PM   #23
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gva1985 View Post
This.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 11:30 PM   #24
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Quote:
It seems the premium on the gray market is not much - 15% to 20%, based on asking prices in Chrono24.
The sentiment is for prices to keep going down. Especially on two-tone pieces.

As others have posted, best is to buy what your really like and also don't get into financial stress about it.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2023, 11:34 PM   #25
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gva1985 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Welcome.

Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 12:07 AM   #26
rcambrid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I do like the watch! I just didn’t have the opportunity to see that it’s not the exact everyday match. Money is not an issue at the moment, the expected financial&watch market crisis it’s what concerns me. If we remember the times before covid this one should be around 10k€ I guess, that’s the thing.

I didn’t know it’s that rare opportunity to buy GMT because it’s a TT.

Nothing in the world, including the watch market, is ever returning to a pre-COVID state. The retail on that watch is €15k without VAT; that watch will never sell for €5k below retail, period. Slightly below, in used condition from a private seller, maybe.
rcambrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 12:28 AM   #27
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can say that again!
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 12:35 AM   #28
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Although you state you aren't doing this for profit, your statement in bold is what many have posted about, have disdain for, and why you are getting so much hate. True watch lovers are in this hobby for the love of the watch, and not market value, and would be wearing it the day they left the AD.

I happen to have been lucky enough to obtain the same watch this year. I could care less if the market dropped to zero as I'm in it for the love of watches. Had someone such as yourself purchased this watch in front of me, looking at it as an investment, and then I wasn't able to get it because someone like you purchased it I would be furious. A Rolex is difficult to get at best from an AD. People who buy one with the intent of not even wearing it are the ones that screw it up for the rest of us watch lovers.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 12:48 AM   #29
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
These are all things you should've thought about before putting your name down for the watch. Based on what you said, you bought the wrong watch.
Welcome.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 12:59 AM   #30
Watchesnguitars
"TRF" Member

For christ sakes.. If you like it and have the money to not wreck your financial situation then cool... If not you should've never bought it in the first place.. If you want to invest in anything like others have said, look at the S&P500, mutual funds, or real estate...
Watchesnguitars is offline   Reply With Quote