The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 August 2011, 11:11 PM   #1
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Best all around watch for me???

OK
So we all have our own wants, needs and ideas of what makes the ultimate watch. As silly as it is for me a MAJOR part of a perfect is a good WR rating.
When traveling I HATE to have to either lock my watch in the room safe or stare at my towel non stop while swimming, in the sauna etc. So... I want to hear some suggestions of watches I should consider... MUST be 42 mm or under (my wrists are 6.8 in) and as I want to be able to swim in it without worrying it must have a bracelet or rubber strap (overall Id rather a bracelet)

Here are my thoughts of a few I have owned or looked over:

AP ROO: Too big and just does not impress me, for the price I want an integrated chrono. RO is lacking in the WR dept. The ROO diver is 42 mm which could work but honestly Id be scared of dinging the bezel to death...

Hublot: Too big, had a Bullet Bang... AMAZING watch just was too big for me

Panerai: Again, too big and been there done that (had a 233)

Patek Philippe Nautilus: Beautiful watch and I thought that despite the price I found my perfect all around watch but of course the model I like (with moon phase) is weak in the WR department due to the pusher setting for the moon phase.

Rolex: I have a couple Subs, Exp II etc... A DD really excites me for some reason but at the same time I feel for the price I can get something more. When it comes to the DD I tried the II and it just does not wear well on my wrist unfortunately :( Also I must admit I think the bezel looks a little off sizewise.....

Blancpain: Have a Fifty Fathoms, I knew it was too big for me but its so beautiful I had to try it and it just isn't working out.

JLC: I LOVE the Beverly Hills Boutique Navy Seals Alarm (with yellow accents) but again 44 mm :( But an alarm would be quite amazing!

Glashutte Original: I don't know... Their sports evo series has one of the nicest bracelets I have ever seen but the watch just seems boring. I must admit the Sports Evo Perp Cal. is pretty impressive but the bezel is sort of useless, it would almost be better with a 60 min bezel....

VC: Dual Time??? Almost ask myself why not add a little more and have a YG DD.... The bracelet is pretty amazing on the VC.

I almost feel like a DD is just meant to be the next one for me but VERY open to suggestions! Trust me, I wish I had bigger wrists!

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2011, 05:14 AM   #2
WatchTimes

WOW
Kinda SHOCKED no one has offered any ideas
or torn apart my thoughts on various watches haha

Old 30 August 2011, 05:26 AM   #3
Aivas47a

Watch: Love them all
Patience ... I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice but this board moves a little slower than the main rolex boards.

I'm sure this is a dumb question but what does "WR" in your post stand for?
Aivas47a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2011, 05:31 AM   #4
KingJames
"TRF" Member

I know its significantly cheaper than some of the others on your list, but I really like my Seiko SKX007 for hard/worry free use around water....At the price they are going for they cant be beat.

I use my GMTIIC for the other 95% of the time..
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2011, 05:35 AM   #5
expensivetaste
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 124060
How about the Ulysse Nardin maxi marine diver?
expensivetaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2011, 05:38 AM   #6
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
@Jim, it stands for water resistance

@Jeremy, since I knw you try out new stuff, I am really looking at a very unusual and rather under the radar brand, john isaac...his rough sea watch is the one that I am looking at...its actually quiet interesting, has screwed down crowns and japanese very bright Luminova...movt is ETA 2824, good enough grade I assume because the price is not very low, I guess MSRP is $3k...but I like it a lot for being a good take on our very well loved Nautilus, while offering something difefrent and good...size is a small 35.5mm if I am not mistaken, but thats classy...do check it out..and I knw I can suggest it to you because you might actually like it
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2011, 05:51 AM   #7
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
oh I must add it has only 50m of water resistance, which is very low but I think with screwed down crowns it should be ok for swimming, but nothing deep :)
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2011, 06:02 AM   #8
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
DD get's my vote!

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2011, 06:26 AM   #9
mfer
"TRF" Member

an all gold sub?
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2011, 06:32 AM   #10
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
an all gold sub?
How about a YG GMTc

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2011, 09:34 AM   #11
WatchTimes

I have a beautiful matte 5513 I love wearing.
I have a White Exp II sans cyclops which is my beater
I have an old 1675 which I NEVER wear.... I need to just get rid of it. Im upside down in the stupid thing as I had to have it restored and of course no one but Bob Ridley the best.
TT Oysterquartz complete set
The GMT, GMT II & IIC just don't do it for me....
Non Rolex pieces: IWC Ti Aquatimer Chrono, MIH Watch, RG IWC Portugese Chrono, Ultra thin AP Manual Skeleton, Breitling Gen II Navitimer

I am sure I am missing something somewhere in there as well....

My only issue with the DD is size... I like the idea of the DD II but I do not like the execution, the bezel just is off to me somehow. If I had 7.5 in wrists or bigger I would not even consider the 36 mm but as my wrists are 6.8 in even though Id like a bigger DD the 36 mm looks good on me.

All except the IWC Aquatimer, OQ and 1675 are forever keepers as they have sentimental attachments. I also have a Linde Werdelin DLC Oktopus, Blancpain Fifty Fathom, Corvus Bradley and I think I am moving those (LW, FF & Corvus)
It may just be time to break down and get a YG DD with white face and romans already...

Its funny I really do want to try something else but it just seems there is nothing that really grabs me like the DD.....

The problem with the DD is I LOVE the YG white dial and Romans and I LOVE the Plat with blue dial and romans....

Old 30 August 2011, 10:22 AM   #12
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Jeremy- Here you go....My only Rolex dress watch. Get one - you will love it!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2011, 11:06 AM   #13
WatchTimes

Ken but you said the evil word in my book... Dress watch....

Seriously though, stunning!

What made you pick
1) Platinum over WG?
2) The 36 DD over the DD II?

Old 30 August 2011, 11:16 AM   #14
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Thanks!! Love the weight and feel of the platinum and the Roman glacier dial does it for me. Don't care for the DDII myself so that was easy. I had one 8 years ago that I let go and always regretted it so when I had opportunity for this one I went for it!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2011, 11:44 AM   #15
tuonor
"TRF" Member

Possibly not what you want to hear, but the theft concern pretty much rules out rolex, panerai, pp, vc, ap, etc.

Frankly, your Werdelin is a good candidate -- DLC coating, WR and essentially off-grid to a non-WIS...

Another suggestion is a vintage heuer...cool pieces scaled for a smaller wrist and the average thief will think its "just" a beat-up tag (no offense to the tag guys -- I have a camaro).
tuonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2011, 01:15 PM   #16
WatchTimes

Theft isn't a concern when a watch has the proper WR rating
as it will always be on my wrist when traveling...

Sorry, Im bored of my Werdelin.... I do not like the direction
they are taking with their advertising and where/how they are marketing.
The cartoon thing is a little old already and there is a market outside of WUS.
I think they have cheapened themselves in an effort to try to grab more market
segment and they have over Limited Edition, Limited editions...

I guess I am getting more grown up and want more grown up watches....
FP Journe and others like that of course interest me but they are all more dress watch that anything which just isn't me.... I just hate always worrying about getting a leather strap wet etc.

Old 30 August 2011, 01:21 PM   #17
7sins
"TRF" Member

Why not one of the 42mm radiomir's or the AP ROC?
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2011, 11:54 PM   #18
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
wait, wait-- I've got the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchTimes View Post
WOW
Kinda SHOCKED no one has offered any ideas
or torn apart my thoughts on various watches haha
Two suggestions, actually--

Fifty Fathoms-- you mentioned that you have one. I'm assuming you mean the 45mm version. If I'm correct, I agree that it's too big. Looks great in the display case but not so good on the wrist. However, have you looked at the older 40mm FF? If I had the funds, that would be a great option.

DD-- if you like a 36mm Day Date, buy it. New or used, it's a super watch. In the early 70's, I had a rootbeer that I got right before going into the Army, and I had a first sgt who had spent 6 years in Vietnam/Thailand (SF) who had a DD. We beat the crap out of our watches just doing our daily work. His DD always held up beautifully. That watch is good for anything but diving, and if you want to make it a bit more formal looking-- just put it on a gator strap.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2011, 07:49 AM   #19
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
How about a VC Overseas Chrono? Very sporty looking with pretty good WR and it is anti-magnetic. You can also change straps between, bracelet, rubber and leather. I only wonder if you would get sea sick looking at it since the dial is quite asymmetric, its a different look no doubt
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2011, 08:19 AM   #20
psv
2024 Pledge Member

Did you ever try owning the SD 16600 or simply a SubC? (although the latter is painfully common but such a great all around/travel piece)

What about the VC Overseas Chrono, especially the Deepstream/Grey one?
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2011, 08:24 AM   #21
mjm800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
MUST be 42 mm or under (my wrists are 6.8 in) and as I want to be able to swim in it without worrying it must have a bracelet or rubber strap (overall Id rather a bracelet)
I love Bremont the Supermarine comes on either a bracelet or rubber strap.
Old 31 August 2011, 11:56 AM   #22
WatchTimes

I have had a SD, Sub C.... something is in the works waiting on a plane ride back from Europe.... I will own another SD someday for sure but it won't scratch this itch. When I get one its not gonna be easy to find as I want a triple 6 BUT I want the early ones which still had the matte dial.

The AP RO is not an option as the WR rating not adequate. I liked and wanted one for years till I found out their WR rating. Seriously, it's supposed to be a sports watch but you really shouldn't even swim with it....

I have considered the VC Overseas and it is a beautiful watch... Still I just know its a watch I will own and sell in a few months....

The 40 mm BP FF is nice but there is NO way I will spend what they want on that watch and wear it like I wear my watches... Its better suited for a collector who will let it sit in a case and take it out for an occasional day here and there. They are very limited and coveted by collectors.

I really think it's time I just broke down and got a DD.... I LOVE Plat but can get YG sooner (financially) and do like the YG with white dial and romans but YG doesn't always look good one pale Nordic skin... Hmmm, I am going to have to think this one over.... I must admit if I had bigger wrists there would be a world of others I would be debating...

Old 31 August 2011, 07:33 PM   #23
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Ddii..

In Yellow or RG.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2011, 07:50 PM   #24
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by expensivetaste View Post
How about the Ulysse Nardin maxi marine diver?
I also thought of the UN... think it is 41mm diameter.

But sounds like the DD (or 41mm DJII ?) could be calling, if you can find a configuration that works for you...
Old 31 August 2011, 08:38 PM   #25
clarencek
"TRF" Member

Why not try a Grand Seiko. Fit and finish on par if not better than the Swiss, ceramic bezel and polished Ti case so it dresses up and down well, good WR - I've taken this one to the beach, pools, hot tubs, etc. Looks brand new.
Some other comments - mine is -3 seconds per month. The Ti version is very comfortable to wear. :-)

Citizen AQ4020-54X, NB6005-05L, NB6006-02X, Casio GMW-B5000TFC, MRG-B5000B, MTG-B1000XB, Hamilton Field Khaki H70605731, IWC IW356501, IWC387902, Longines Spirit L3.810.4.93.0, MKII PMWF Graywater GMT, Project 300, Omega 210.92.42.20.01.001, 304.33.44.52.03.001, Rolex 116400GV, 116520, 116610LV, 126600, 326933, Seiko SBGA001, SLA019, Sinn U1-ST
clarencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2011, 11:47 PM   #26
psv
2024 Pledge Member

Give the ROO Diver an honest look. Amazing fit and finish, you should be able to get away with it on your wrist if you opt for the shorter strap. I wouldn't worry about dinging the bezel, it can be polished off and at some point in time you can easily just change the bezel during a regular service. I think the key advantage of the Diver is that 99.9% of the world's population will not recognize the watch or think anything of it.
Old 1 September 2011, 12:05 PM   #27
WatchTimes

Patrick, I must admit the AP ROO diver does keep tempting me.
I just really like to wear my watches, I do not like to baby them either when
wearing them and as I said I fear Id beat that poor bezel to death in no time and
I know it sure won't be cheap to replace haha....
Also, I have a 5513 matte dial, a Sub C in the works as well as an IWC Aquatimer so part of me says you have enough dive watches haha BUT I guess I have so many as I like them still part of me has wanted a DD for EONS so we shall see what happens.
Strap wise, what is there for the ROO diver other than the stock rubber?

I will say I think you have really helped me narrow it down to the ROO diver or DD....

I may just bite the bullet and go with the ROO Diver now and save up for a year to get the Plat DD.....

As for Grand Seiko, I respect the quality of them but I do not like the hands nor do I care for the power reserve on the dial also I wish they would have just keep the dial white & silver... The gold letters just are distracting and make it look cheap to me... But the Ti is the way to go for sure, I really don't know why they had to change the lettering to gold on the Ti model.....

Old 1 September 2011, 12:23 PM   #28
psv
2024 Pledge Member

I just picked up the ROO Diver today! Again! :-)
Old 1 September 2011, 01:15 PM   #29
WatchTimes

Oh yeah....
Again ?

Why did you part with it?

Why did you get it again?

Pics or it didn't happen!!!

Tell me more!