The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 May 2024, 07:50 PM   #1
mrywu
"TRF" Member

Daytona 6263 black dial

Hi All,

New to this forum and vintage Rolex. I'm interested in buying a Daytona 6263 big red black dial 1979 full set (circa $90,000).

Dial and Bezel appear original, pushers replaced with service items.

My main concern is on the missing lume at 3 o'clock. Appears to have dropped off and only some white (I assume original glue / residue remains).

How much does the missing lume detract watch's value and difficulty to resell if I were to wish to resell one day?

Would it be worth considering this watch, or to keep looking for something without this issue (advice was to not even attempt to fix)?

I couldn't find another similar thread hence posting (apologies if there is one on this topic).

Thanks in advance.
mrywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2024, 07:57 PM   #2
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Maybe posting some pictures will help
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2024, 09:51 PM   #3
lovegmt73
"TRF" Member

Post pics

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
lovegmt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2024, 11:12 PM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Definitely need detailed photos, including of the full set.

In general, if you're just missing a little lume from one of the dots it's not a huge problem. It's fairly common on vintage Daytonas to have a little missing lume on a couple of the dots. (The tool to remove the sub-dial hands during service rests on the dial at the 3 and 9 o'clock areas, hence the issue.)

What you want to avoid is a vintage Daytona that is missing all or most of the tritium dots completely. That's a bigger issue.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2024, 05:44 AM   #5
mrywu
"TRF" Member

Apologies - Lume is fine it's the dot on lume that's missing.

See image attached. I've now seen lume which is fine. It's the dot on one particular lume that's missing / deteriorated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4414.jpg (88.1 KB, 161 views)
Old 1 June 2024, 06:06 AM   #6
lovegmt73
"TRF" Member

Anyway 90k I think is too much nowadays

lovegmt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2024, 08:44 AM   #7
mrywu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegmt73 View Post

What price range do you think is right? Are you seeing a downward price movement currently?
Old 1 June 2024, 04:45 PM   #8
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

You’d need to post more photos of the entire watch and set to get meaningful feedback, but if the watch is clean with a thick case, and all bits and pieces are original/correct, I’d say $90K is a pretty good deal.

That tiny piece of missing tritium is minor. I’d be more concerned with the discoloration on the white sub-dial, if that’s what that is in the blurry blow-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegmt73 View Post

Really? Not sure how you can say that without seeing the watch and set. So much depends on condition.

I’d love to see a listing for good full set 6263 under $90K. Maybe a mediocre example.
Old 1 June 2024, 09:28 PM   #9
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrywu View Post
What price range do you think is right? Are you seeing a downward price movement currently?
From what I have seen the vintage Daytona market continues to soften. My friend purchased a big red in 2019 for $40,000….he later sold it for $90,000 in 2021. It then sold for $110,000 in 2022 and he told me it just sold again for $70,000.
That’s just the tale of one watch, but I think it’s a microcosm of the market. It peaked a couple of years ago and is steadily declining. After the Newman auction and the hype, not sure I see these reaching that level again, not any time soon anyways.
Old 2 June 2024, 07:10 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
From what I have seen the vintage Daytona market continues to soften. My friend purchased a big red in 2019 for $40,000….he later sold it for $90,000 in 2021. It then sold for $110,000 in 2022 and he told me it just sold again for $70,000.
That’s just the tale of one watch, but I think it’s a microcosm of the market. It peaked a couple of years ago and is steadily declining. After the Newman auction and the hype, not sure I see these reaching that level again, not any time soon anyways.
Do you have a listing for this watch? Or did it sell privately? Any photos?

As a longtime owner of a 6263 Big Red full set, I follow the market closely. I haven’t seen a good example of one in the $70K neighborhood for years. The market is indeed softening, but that’s still low. I’d probably buy another one at that price, assuming it was in collector-grade condition.
Old 2 June 2024, 09:05 AM   #11
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Do you have a listing for this watch? Or did it sell privately? Any photos?

As a longtime owner of a 6263 Big Red full set, I follow the market closely. I haven’t seen a good example of one in the $70K neighborhood for years. The market is indeed softening, but that’s still low. I’d probably buy another one at that price, assuming it was in collector-grade condition.
No, these were not public listings, these were among private collectors which is why he has followed it. Everyone knows each other and is pretty open about it. It’s a group of old Panerai collectors. The vintage Daytona stuff peaked right about the time of the Paul Newman auction. Hard to imagine anything creating more demand or surpassing that. Many of the vintage guys I know have moved towards newer hard to find stuff and Patek. Many of them keep what they have but aren’t actively buying.
Old 2 June 2024, 09:17 AM   #12
bkay001
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to the forum and the world of vintage Rolex watches! It's great to hear about your interest in the Daytona 6263.

Regarding the missing lume at 3 o'clock on the watch, it's important to consider that originality plays a significant role in the value of vintage watches. The missing lume could potentially affect the watch's value and might make it slightly more challenging to resell in the future, especially to collectors who value originality.
bkay001 is offline   Reply With Quote