The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 23 November 2022, 06:03 AM   #1
Clckwrk
"TRF" Member

Advice re: 3861 speedy warranty repairs

Hello everyone - first post. Although freshly registered, I have been a long-time 'lurker' of these forums. I'm a big Rolex fan, although I do not yet own one. I have worn an IWC Portugieser 7-day automatic as my daily watch for the past 12 years. I have not yet had it serviced. It still runs without any issues. Great watch.

I would like your thoughts on the following.

In May this year I bought a 3861 Speedmaster. I fell in love with it when I handled it 'live' at the boutique. I was told however that all watches were sold (the example I handled was already sold to another customer) and nothing was available. Then, after returning home, over Whatsapp, I received a message from the boutique that one more watch had turned up. The saleswoman at the boutique didn't specify anything on how this watch had suddenly materialized when I came to pick the watch up. In her words: 'it's a miracle'. I thought this was a little weird and I felt I was getting jerked around a bit, but at the time I didn't think too much of it. I was happy to get the Speedy and I had no reason to mistrust the official Omega boutique, so I didn't ask any further questions. (Getting jerked around by an AD is par for the course nowadays, it seems.)

At the end of September, I noticed an issue: the hour hand of the chronograph was running way too quickly. The chronograph hour hand would go past the whole hour when the chronograph minutes hand would not yet have passed the 60-minute mark. It took me a while to notice this because I haven't used the chronograph function much. I'm quite sure I did not cause this defect. I have been very careful with the watch.

I took the watch to the boutique and the salesperson said it would need regulation - under warranty - and this would take five weeks. Five weeks later, I heard nothing, so I sent a Whatsapp message. After some prodding from my end (I didn't hear anything back at first) it turns out that it's not just a simple regulation issue and some parts of the watch need to be replaced. This will take another 60 days at least - possibly longer 'due to the World Cup'. Again, it's covered by the warranty.

My primary reaction is: this thing can happen, this is why the warranty exists. However, I can't help but hear a little voice in the back of my mind whispering that the salespeople sold me a watch that they knew was not in 100% tip-top shape, given the whole 'oh this other watch suddenly turned up, it's a miracle' spiel that I didn't think too much of at first.

Any thoughts? Should I just let this slide? I bought this watch to commemorate my wedding (I wore it during my wedding) so maybe that's why this whole thing is bothering me at all - I think normally I would not spend any mental energy on this. Alas, this watch was an emotional purchase.

Thank you.
Clckwrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 10:18 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry this happened but don't speculate too much into it. Omega is a top shelf brand and will repair the watch and get it back to you working per specs. At least that is my experience. The time that it takes is agonizing to me especially with watches that I wear a lot. Sit back, wait, and get your watch back. If continued issues after return then I would ask your fellow members here on TRF for suggestions on a course of action but don't get out in front of yourself just yet. Keep us posted.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 11:20 PM   #3
tifosi
"TRF" Member

I honestly do not think that the Omega Boutique sold you a lemon on purpose. It’s more than likely a situation where a customer passed on the watch so they called you.

I also own a 3861 Speedy and I have never let the chrono run that long to notice the interaction between the hands. Maybe someday I’ll experiment, but I highly doubt it. What do you time that you have the chrono running for an hour plus? Genuinely curious. How was the timekeeping? If it was running well I’d be hard pressed to send in a brand new watch for such an issue.

Either way, the watch should be returned to you good as new!
Old 23 November 2022, 11:29 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum Richard

I have no idea what the World Cup has to do with your repair time

Other than that, I’d let the process play out. It’s a great reference
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 12:52 AM   #5
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I expect the Omega boutique to play it straight with a customer, but I too would have that same voice in my head.
Old 25 November 2022, 04:41 AM   #6
Clckwrk
"TRF" Member

I forgot to mention that this is an Omega boutique in South America, in a region in which bending the rules, ‘skipping the line’, being ‘handy’/street smart - so, a little bit of trickery - is a deeply ingrained part of the local culture (as wonderful as the local culture is more in general). This adds to my feeling of unease. Anyway, thank you for your thoughts and the warm welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
What do you time that you have the chrono running for an hour plus? Genuinely curious. How was the timekeeping? If it was running well I’d be hard pressed to send in a brand new watch for such an issue
I bill time using the chronograph. Timekeeping was good and within spec; however, now that you ask, I do recall two instances where I pulled the watch from the drawer after not wearing it for two days or so, and the watch would be way off (more than an hour) while the watch was still running (the seconds hand was still moving). I thought this might be normal ‘edge of power reserve’ behaviour, but on further reflection this may actually have been a defect.
Old 26 November 2022, 08:00 AM   #7
Clckwrk
"TRF" Member

I decided to let the Omega boutique know that I just didn’t have a good feeling about the sequence of events as described in this thread. Very politely of course, and not accusing anyone of anything.

Anyway, I’m happy to report that they were willing and able to fully allay my admittedly irrational concerns. The boutique showed me information from their internal system on when they had received the watch - the same day I bought it. (So that’s how the watch suddenly materialised.)

So, all is good. Just plain old bad luck that the watch was sold defective. Now it’s just a matter of waiting for it to get fixed.