The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 March 2024, 08:56 AM   #1
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

Patek wait times for Calatrava

Hey guys,

I've seen that a lot of the gray market prices come down to MSRP or even below retail. Have you guys been finding that the wait times are shorter at the AD for pieces like the Weekly calendar or the other calatravas?
Fencer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 09:43 AM   #2
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

I was just at a local AD today, they had a 5226G and 6007G. you can find both for retail or below on the gray market
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 09:56 AM   #3
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonsxusfrt View Post
I was just at a local AD today, they had a 5226G and 6007G. you can find both for retail or below on the gray market
Both for sale or exhibition?
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 10:43 AM   #4
bokmeipai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I went to AD last week and tried on a 5226 and 6007. The 5226 was reserved and 6007 was available. I asked how long a wait for the 5226 and was told a year. Another AD I went to which I have a relationship with , have been on list for 5212A for a year and still no call.
bokmeipai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 10:49 AM   #5
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

Was offered a 5227 at an AD in the Caribbean while on vacation last week. I love this ref but don't have occasion to wear dress watches enough to justify. Point is they are available at retail.
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 11:06 AM   #6
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Both for sale or exhibition?
They had about 10 piece on display, half were available and the other half were spoken for. The SA said Patek requires them to keep a minimum # of pieces on display which they can allocate but can not release until they receive their next shipment (usually every month or two).

So the 5226G was available and the 6007G had just been spoken for that morning but the buyer would have to wait until April to pick it up (that's when their next shipment comes in). They also had 7234G, 7121 and 4947/1a available, and 5320G spoken for but still on display. There were a few others but nothing that was memorable.

Your AD should be able to allocate you a 5226 or 6007 without much trouble. Or just go gray, these are readily selling for retail and I've seen a few well below retail. hope this helps
Old 6 March 2024, 11:12 AM   #7
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs Fan View Post
Was offered a 5227 at an AD in the Caribbean while on vacation last week. I love this ref but don't have occasion to wear dress watches enough to justify. Point is they are available at retail.
Same here, and coming from mostly APs I find the Calatrava too small for my taste. I asked the SA to call me if they get in some of the pieces with a little more wrist presence in the 40-42mm size with some girth LOL!
Old 6 March 2024, 11:47 AM   #8
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Same here, and coming from mostly APs I find the Calatrava too small for my taste. I asked the SA to call me if they get in some of the pieces with a little more wrist presence in the 40-42mm size with some girth LOL!

I’m an AP guy, have them all but mostly wear my 43.. I wouldn’t sleep on the 6007. I picked one up and absolutely love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 01:51 PM   #9
kh428
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP|VC|Jaeger|Rolex
I waited less than a year for my 5227r.
Showed interest around Sep 2022, received it July 2023.

Frankly, I think the watch came in, and the other person who might have been waiting before me denied receiving it once the gray market price dropped below retail, giving me the chance to take it home.
kh428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 02:20 PM   #10
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:

This then is your Calatrava. It is sublime.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 02:59 PM   #11
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
i would love to have just a plain 6119G (although I prefer the white dial on the rose gold). Preowned is thankfully below MSRP but still a ways away from me currently. Doubtful my patek AD would even give me the time of day (purchase history is something like 25k maybe on GS and gold). I've heard through the grapevine that the owner point blank told a potential aquanaut buyer he would have to spend at least 150k to be allocated one.
Old 6 March 2024, 10:45 PM   #12
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I attempted to get a 5226 from my dealer a year or so back and could not. Ended up going gray at a very small premium. Think not being able to get a calatrava from my AD made me rethink this entire hobby to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 11:41 PM   #13
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
This then is your Calatrava. It is sublime.

The 5524r is one of the pieces I asked to see as well as the 5205r. Aesthetically the pilot piece in 42 is beautiful, especially with the chocolate dial. But they're selling for a huge discount in the secondary market ($35K-$39K), about $20K below retail for a gently used piece. I'll wait for the AD to let me know when they have one in the shop and then make my decision :)
Old 7 March 2024, 12:16 AM   #14
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
The 5524r is one of the pieces I asked to see as well as the 5205r. Aesthetically the pilot piece in 42 is beautiful, especially with the chocolate dial. But they're selling for a huge discount in the secondary market ($35K-$39K), about $20K below retail for a gently used piece. I'll wait for the AD to let me know when they have one in the shop and then make my decision :)

Yes I’d buy this piece grey as I did NOS

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 12:36 AM   #15
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

I would love to go grey but I don’t like the fact that someone else’s name is on the certificate especially since I’m going to keep it as a family heirloom piece.
Fencer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 01:13 AM   #16
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer28 View Post
I would love to go grey but I don’t like the fact that someone else’s name is on the certificate especially since I’m going to keep it as a family heirloom piece.
I mean, I guess I get that but at the end of the day, doubt your kids or grandkids will really care. If you really want your name on it, you may need to be patient. I have no patience and wanted it when I wanted it.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 02:34 AM   #17
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Lets be honest, you will most likely sell it at some point so don't worry about your name on the papers, and just get the best value you can. In this market it means buying from a second hand dealer (grey is not the correct term btw)
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 03:14 AM   #18
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I attempted to get a 5226 from my dealer a year or so back and could not. Ended up going gray at a very small premium. Think not being able to get a calatrava from my AD made me rethink this entire hobby to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I’m with you brother. Was jerked around by the AD and ended up going gray where I bought the watch below MSRP. Couldn’t be happier. The 5226 is pretty much my daily wear at this point and sits nicely between a dress versus sports watch.
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 03:22 AM   #19
fluffybunny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They had about 10 piece on display, half were available and the other half were spoken for. The SA said Patek requires them to keep a minimum # of pieces on display which they can allocate but can not release until they receive their next shipment (usually every month or two).

So the 5226G was available and the 6007G had just been spoken for that morning but the buyer would have to wait until April to pick it up (that's when their next shipment comes in). They also had 7234G, 7121 and 4947/1a available, and 5320G spoken for but still on display. There were a few others but nothing that was memorable.

Your AD should be able to allocate you a 5226 or 6007 without much trouble. Or just go gray, these are readily selling for retail and I've seen a few well below retail. hope this helps

Does this mean that while you wait for your watch to be released a whole bunch of people could be trying it on, putting micro-scratches on it etc.? Seems odd to me.

fluffybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 04:15 AM   #20
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I mean, I guess I get that but at the end of the day, doubt your kids or grandkids will really care. If you really want your name on it, you may need to be patient. I have no patience and wanted it when I wanted it.
Just tell your grandkids that was your name before going into witness protection. It is grandpas last memory before starting a new life. Patek should def use that if they start a certified pre-owned business.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 04:26 AM   #21
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybunny View Post
Does this mean that while you wait for your watch to be released a whole bunch of people could be trying it on, putting micro-scratches on it etc.? Seems odd to me.

yup, that's exactly what it means. I tried on several allocated pieces but they were all wrapped in plastic front and back so no worries about marring the case, or messing with the movement.
Old 7 March 2024, 04:29 AM   #22
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybunny View Post

When I tried on “display” models at the AD, the head of the watch was covered in a clear plastic film to prevent scratches; however, the strap and buckle were not protected. Yes, it does seem odd when one is paying a large sum of money for a timepiece and it has been tried on by who knows how many people.

So… what do you do about that?

Complain to the AD (and get banished or placed at the end of the list) or accept delivery of the Patek when it’s offered to you?
Old 7 March 2024, 07:23 AM   #23
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
I agree.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 09:24 AM   #24
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir2thor View Post
When I tried on “display” models at the AD, the head of the watch was covered in a clear plastic film to prevent scratches; however, the strap and buckle were not protected. Yes, it does seem odd when one is paying a large sum of money for a timepiece and it has been tried on by who knows how many people.

So… what do you do about that?

Complain to the AD (and get banished or placed at the end of the list) or accept delivery of the Patek when it’s offered to you?

You take the new one that supposedly just arrived, and let them leave their display model in the case.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 09:30 AM   #25
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
You take the new one that supposedly just arrived, and let them leave their display model in the case.
The key word is "supposedly"
Old 7 March 2024, 10:20 AM   #26
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
They have to keep minimal # on display, they don't know what pieces are in the next shipment and it's unlikely they get back to back shipments with the same pieces. So once they get the new shipment of X pieces, they release X allocated pieces from the previous shipment.
Old 7 March 2024, 12:17 PM   #27
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Sounds like a good reason to buy used and use whiteout on the certificate.

I don’t think I’d pay full retail for a demo.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 12:47 PM   #28
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dawg you're buying a Patek. They are made by the millions and are not some valuable art piece.

Nice watches yeah, but don't worry about the papers. Save the money and go grey/used...
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 09:24 PM   #29
bob101
"TRF" Member

The difference between retail and market is big these days..
For a 6119 here around 35,000 USD and market for as little as 22,000.
Add to that the years waiting time (these days the default answer to any model you ask for is ohh we only see maybe one or two of those a year…) so definitely market is the way to go. Great to not have to deal with all that AD bs..

You can get a 5396 or a 5212a market for the price of a 6119 retail.For me, 35,000 USD is a ridiculous amount for a calatrava. Don’t get me started on the 6007 (which I would never buy) or the 5226, 5326 retail prices for that matter! Just my two cents..
bob101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 09:59 PM   #30
TomInNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Dawg you're buying a Patek. They are made by the millions and are not some valuable art piece.

Nice watches yeah, but don't worry about the papers. Save the money and go grey/used...
They’re not made by the millions. They made less than 70,000 last year, and some estimate that they’ve barely made a million in the life of the brand—and less than that are still in circulation.
TomInNJ is offline   Reply With Quote